underground dwellings

tyler harmon

Reaction score
does anyone have any ideas on how to build a hobbit hole/underground dwelling that would be kinda like the design.

janktoaster

Reaction score
I have this book called Shelters, Shakes and Shanties that was my grandfather's when he was a kid in the early 40's. It's one of my all time favorites and I happened to find a link where you can click and look through the pages. A ton of good stuff on here. Here ya go homie

https://archive.org/details/sheltersshackssh00bear

Last edited:

tyler harmon

Reaction score
thinking of digging out the hole. then building the frame with four by fours two by four and plywood walls. and the roof will be four by four bracers cross beams for supports, more two by fours and plywood for roof as well then sand piled on top. four by four support beams through the center.

as you can tell i do have a knowledge of construction.
i just need innovative thinking i can do the math.

tyler harmon

Reaction score
I have this book called Shelters, Shakes and Shanties that was my grandfather's when he was a kind in the early 40's. It's one of my all time favorites and I happened to find a link where you can click and look through the pages. A ton of good stuff on here. Here ya go homie

thanx i appreciate it have looked at the whole thing yet but this seems like a very helpful book. very nice.

https://archive.org/details/sheltersshackssh00bear[/quo

janktoaster

Reaction score

Yeah, somewhere in there is a section about underground dwellings and building them

Durp

Reaction score
make sure you tar the hell out of everything before you re bury your home, other wise it WILL rot with in a fairly short period.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads