Uncapped 4g LTE hotspot from the phone

T

Toasty Tramp

A lot of us use those month to month phone plans -- Net10 Wireless, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Metro PCS -- And while most services have like 2gb of bandwidth at 4g LTE speeds (Then worse than dial up speeds after that :( ) , I just found out that Metro PCS has literally uncapped bandwidth at 4g LTE speeds for $60/month. $70 for the first month cause the SIM Card, but yeah.

Most phones have an issue with trying to make a mobile hotspot if you use a carrier other than the original one, my phone is no exception. The error I typically see is "Mobile Number Not Found", which I dunno wtf that's about and don't care too much to figure it out...SO.

I stumbled across the app PDA Net, and gave it a go. The mobile hotspot actually worked, and I managed to successfully connect to Facebook on my laptop :D But that's about all I managed to do, cause the free version has a super low limit for the wifi. I figured fuck it, let's get the full version and see what happens.

So I got it, and everything has been pretty fucking fantastic. I've video chatted for a few hours at a time while streaming music and surfing the internet and having a good ol' time. Download speeds are sometimes as fast as 3mb/s, I've seen 5mb/s but I'm pretty fucking sure my eyes were just being twats and messing with me.

And there ya have it! You can use your smartphone's data connection to completely negate the need for a separate internet bill :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Keep in mind that when most companies say 'unlimited' what they really mean is 2-3gb at normal speed then the rest is at pretty much 56k modem speeds or worse (unusable). This might not be true for sprint customers, since they recently started advertising 'true' unlimited data (which i find hard to believe). also, sprint's networks suck real bad.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads