Ultralight Gear For Trainhopping? (1 Viewer)

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
After my recent incident that precipitated my user name change in Dunsmuir, I am thinking about going from heavy-duty military grade gear to ultralight stuff to lighten up a bit. I am top heavy enough with my gut, and 32 extra lbs. up high just about shoved me to the ballast when I slipped walking a train looking for a ride.

Anyone used an ultralight pack? I am hoping to drop about 10 l bs. in base weight before riding again next month. I have other ultralight gear on order, but not worried about the other stuff, only wether or not it’ll be protected enough by the pack and not go flying different directions down the ballast if the pack splits open. I used the search function, couldn’t find any info on this topic.

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
In my experiance ultralight packs are tough as nails against stone and stick... but against steel and sharp jagged or abrasive surfaces it will never hold up against an accidental slash. The ripstop tech textile they are made out of is handy because it helps save the rest of the pack from splitting open and loosing all your gear. Unles it's getting caught and tugged on by your waight... Makes for ez sewing too. Allot of them tend to have alot of straps and extra shit on them too. I would customize your pack to the fullest, carry a good sew kit with seam sealant and some patch material. Be careful about getting on and off with your pack. Oh and the frames dont hold up to being thrown either... I'm pretty sure alot of ppl use them, they just whare out at the seams 10× faster than mill spec tech and need more maintenance too. Maybe take it to a seamstress and have her double enforce all your seams get it resealed and make sure to carry everything you need dry In a dry bag because in my experience not even the milatary makes a waterproof bag that's actually waterproof. Outside of the obvious dry bags... obviously I would get a used one in good condition and customize it.

OP
Faceplant

Faceplant

StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
Thanks for that info, I am looking to buy a used Granite Gear Crown VC60, the first generation one. It is in good shape, inexpensive, has no frame at all to speak of, just thickish channeled foam on the back to allow for airflow, backed by a rigid removable plastic plate. Total weight for that pack is 2lbs, 2 oz., vs my Swedish Army LK 35’s 4 plus lbs. that really carried far more than it’s stated 35 liter size,and was rugged as hell.

The 2nd iteration of that GG pack saves but 3 oz, and is not readily available used at a decent price yet, so it is about 180 new, too rich for my blood to buy for an experiment. I do not intend to carry anything except a cup, trekking poles and a thin accordion foam mattress on the outside, cinched very tight to my body. The ultralight trekking poles are for the Hyperlite Dyneema tarp which won’t be used unless it rains.

Regarding their long term durability, if I have to replace them more frequently, I guess I don’t mind , in order gain weight savings.

Waiting on the tarp, down quilt, and poles, looking to catch out late next month.

Last edited:

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
Ive eliminated a lot more weight inside my pack than contained within the pack itself. I personally run a patagonia nine trails 36l and sleep in a hammock. Without food or water i typically only have 18-20 lbs in my pack.

What others steps have you taken or pondered to minimize / lighten your pack?

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
StP Supporter
Current Location
Midwest
I know you already stated you don't want to break the bank, but here is an option at the top of the scale, if in fact lightest weight is something important to you, or anyone else reading this.

Zpacks makes some of the best gear in the ultralight game, at a cost, obviously. Packs, tents/shelters, sleeping bags. The cheapest pack is this 38L for $199.99, but it only weighs 10.8oz and is waterproof, durable, stretch free. They make almost all their gear from Dyneema Composite Fabric, DCF (whatever the fuk that is?) I've read lots of reviews, watched lots of reviews, and everyone seems to be happy as hell with their gear from Zpacks.

Last edited:
OP
Faceplant

Faceplant

StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
Ive eliminated a lot more weight inside my pack than contained within the pack itself. I personally run a patagonia nine trails 36l and sleep in a hammock. Without food or water i typically only have 18-20 lbs in my pack.

What others steps have you taken or pondered to minimize / lighten your pack?
Thus far, beside cutting back on clothes, lightening my cook kit, taking a bare minimum of tools, (headlamp, fixed blade knife, multitool) I got rid of a heavy Dutch army hooped bivy, highly regarded among bushcrafters for weather resistance and ruggedness (3.25 lbs) to a Outdoor Research Helium bivy @ just under16 oz. .

Just received minutes ago, my Hyperlite Dyneema Flat tarp. 8.85 oz vs the nearly 2.5 lb. DD 3 x3 m tarp I carried previously. Carrying a set of Black Diamond Carbon Cork trekking poles( 15 oz.) to set the tarp up as an A-frame tent only if it rains. I am gonna use just the bivy in dry weather, or if need d in rainy weather on the train with the quilt.

My 2.5 lb Carinthia Tropen 37 F bag is being replaced by a UGQ Bandit XL 30 degree 950 fp quilt, it weighs 22 oz.

If I buy that pack, I think I will, I should be at just about 20 lbs. That’s exclusive of water ( 1 gallon plus one liter) and food, carried separately in a bag.

So, that pack is just about the last step I can take for a further reduction. I just want to assure it won’d disintegrate if I toss it ever so gently from a train.

T Paradise

Lurker
Current Location
Metz
Allot of them tend to have alot of straps and extra shit on them too.
Nah, compared to regular backpacks they tend to have fewer straps and less extra shit on them. That's the ultralight philosophy and how they can keep the weight of the packs down.
They make almost all their gear from Dyneema Composite Fabric, DCF
DCF is very robust if it comes to stretching but not to friction - to my knowledge -. So good for tents, not for backpacks (if you want to toss them from a train).
My suggestion is to reduce your weight as much as possible and then use an alice pack or something that has been proven to be tough enough. Without a frame those military backpacks aren't that heavy.
People are trekking for months with a base weight of 10lbs, if you are at twice that weight there might be some more ways to lose some.
It is hard to give advice without knowing your current setup, but to start with the gear you named: There is no point in carrying a waterproof bivy if you only use it in dry weather. Either ditch the tarp or get a water resistant instead of a waterproof bivy. Maybe even just a bug bivy. That way you won't have trouble with condensation in your bivy either.
Forget the above if you actually need the waterproofness while riding trains. Using a down bag in a waterproof bivy might lead to condensation problems though, so that you might get just as wet using the waterproof bivy on a train as with a water resistant plus tarp.
My pack weights about 5kg with a pack that weights around 700g, so with an alice pack it would still be pretty light weight. Comfortable for temperatures above or around freezing. No trainhopping related gear though. If you want to reduce your weight further check some ultralight trekking gear lists to get some inspiration.

OP
Faceplant

Faceplant

StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
Nah, compared to regular backpacks they tend to have fewer straps and less extra shit on them. That's the ultralight philosophy and how they can keep the weight of the packs down.

DCF is very robust if it comes to stretching but not to friction - to my knowledge -. So good for tents, not for backpacks (if you want to toss them from a train).
My suggestion is to reduce your weight as much as possible and then use an alice pack or something that has been proven to be tough enough. Without a frame those military backpacks aren't that heavy.
People are trekking for months with a base weight of 10lbs, if you are at twice that weight there might be some more ways to lose some.
It is hard to give advice without knowing your current setup, but to start with the gear you named: There is no point in carrying a waterproof bivy if you only use it in dry weather. Either ditch the tarp or get a water resistant instead of a waterproof bivy. Maybe even just a bug bivy. That way you won't have trouble with condensation in your bivy either.
Forget the above if you actually need the waterproofness while riding trains. Using a down bag in a waterproof bivy might lead to condensation problems though, so that you might get just as wet using the waterproof bivy on a train as with a water resistant plus tarp.
My pack weights about 5kg with a pack that weights around 700g, so with an alice pack it would still be pretty light weight. Comfortable for temperatures above or around freezing. No trainhopping related gear though. If you want to reduce your weight further check some ultralight trekking gear lists to get some inspiration.
When on a train in wet weather, I will need a bivy. On a train in dry weather, when cold, I need a bivy - first, for additional warmth, but mainly to protect a very expensive down quilt. Off the train, in dry weather, I won’t need to use a bivy, except in very cold weather, not likely on the Highline in late August. Rain is a slight possibility, though. The Dyneema ( cuben fiber) tarp weighs next to nothing, less than 9 oz.

I would not buy a pack made of Dyneema, as it is not good asa far as puncture resistance goes, lots of pokey shit on RR cars, so gotta stick with nylon. Plus, I cannot afford a new DCF pack, and they are not readily available on the used market.

The pack truly is the last way for me to shave meaningful weight, methinks. I’m not gonna leave my pound and a half of weed at home, am I?

Last edited:

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
I’m not gonna leave my half pound of weed at home, am I?
Probably the ultralight dudes go with concentrates, and solar-powered vaporizers and whatnot. But i am with you.

Thanks for the quilt recommendation. Looking at the weight difference between one of those, and even my Snugpak Elite 1 summer bag (45 degrees, 1 kilo) has even my cheap ass thinking about buying one.

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
StP Supporter
Current Location
Midwest
When on a train in wet weather, I will need a bivy. On a train in dry weather, when cold, I need a bivy - first, for additional warmth, but mainly to protect a very expensive down quilt. Off the train, in dry weather, I won’t need to use a bivy, except in very cold weather., not likely on the Highline in late August. Rain, is a slight possibility, though. The Dyneema ( cuben weighs next to nothing, very little weight, less than 9 oz.

I would not buy a pack made of Dyneema, as it is not good asa far as puncture resistance goes, lots of pokey shit on RR cars, so gotta stick with nylon. Plus, I cannot afford a new DCF pack, and they are not readily available on the used market.

The pack truly is the last way for me to shave meaningful weight, methinks. I’m not gonna leave my half pound of weed at home, am I?
In all honesty, I wouldn't want to throw a $200-$300 lightweight pack off a train, even if it could handle the abuse, but that's just me. It sounds like you've already cut your weight down considerably from where you were, so are you that worried about the extra 1-2lbs you'll gain from a more durable pack over a "lightweight" variant? I think you're already doing good, weight wise, by getting into some lighter weight gear inside the pack vs. the heavier gear you previously were toting. Waterproof would be my concern. Sea to Summit and Sealine make some waterproof backpacks that are under 3#, made out of that heavy duty rubber material they use for sea going dry bags. Have a Few options Under $200.

Update: I didn't catch that you were coming into a pack used potentially, I thought you were shopping new prices, my bad. If it's cheap enough I'd go for it. The only piece of Granite Gear brand gear I have/ have had, is a compression sack. It seems to be holding up ok.

Last edited:

train in vain

Rambler
Current Location
Out there
I havent read all these posts yet but... i have a normal hiking pack nothin fancy..cant weigh much more then 2 lbs unloaded. Carry less stuff is my suggestion.

OP
Faceplant

Faceplant

StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
In all honesty, I wouldn't want to throw a $200-$300 lightweight pack off a train, even if it could handle the abuse, but that's just me. It sounds like you've already cut your weight down considerably from where you were, so are you that worried about the extra 1-2lbs you'll gain from a more durable pack over a "lightweight" variant? I think you're already doing good, weight wise, by getting into some lighter weight gear inside the pack vs. the heavier gear you previously were toting. Waterproof would be my concern. Sea to Summit and Sealine make some waterproof backpacks that are under 3#, made out of that heavy duty rubber material they use for sea going dry bags. Have a Few options Under $200.

Update: I didn't catch that you were coming into a pack used potentially, I thought you were shopping new prices, my bad. If it's cheap enough I'd go for it. The only piece of Granite Gear brand gear I have/ have had, is a compression sack. It seems to be holding up ok.
I will check them out, thanks.
Good company's have no questions asked lifetime guarantees.

Now that the REI gurantee is no longer a thing. Osprey makes great lightweight gear.
Hey, got that bookmarked, thanks.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
I was only half joking; I was directed to wear a helmet parachuting (not full face) - why not for rolling dismounts?

As rough as your injury appears, I'm glad it wasn't worse

OP
Faceplant

Faceplant

StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
I was only half joking; I was directed to wear a helmet parachuting (not full face) - why not for rolling dismounts?

As rough as your injury appears, I'm glad it wasn't worse
There’s no sign of it now, a month aftter the fact. I would give anything to have it on video for my family’s viewing pleasure. Perhaps I’ll remedy that on next month’s ride.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
You know...you're gone for a bit, you have some adventures, you come back, and StP is on fucking fire!...Jesus, people, y'all sank the Jamboree?
And our breathe will carry us forward when we don't have the strength to carry ourselves
Might head out again soon. Really missing the road. Currently in the Knoxville area
dumpsternavel wrote on AAAutin's profile.
Your cover photo is glory
We are moving the jamboree to New Orleans this year due to some personal disagreements between myself and the lead organizer of the slab city library. Details can be found on the Jambo information thread.
Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?

Members online

No members online now.