UK to USA - Where do I start?

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Alright so it's time I stop fucking day dreaming and telling myself i'm gonna do this shit and actually just do it. I'm sick and i'm tired of living in the country i'm in and it's just pretty much done for me.
Been planning a big trip over to the US ever since I can even remember and what with me turning 21 in 2 months and a fair stash in my savings I think it's about fucking time I stop trying to hang on for a travel buddy and just go alone.

I'm a super shy and nervous person so the thought pretty much terrifies me but it's all i've ever wanted to do. I'm looking for some pointers on what I should think about and where I should go. What the fuck do I do the second I step offa that plane? Any info on how to find somewhere to live and mostly importantly (to me) some new decent acquaintances. I'm pretty new to all this shit so yup. Terrifying thought, right?

I'd be flying out from London to JFK in Ny. NY is top on my hit list so please spare me the 'don't go there' talk.

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
If you haven't done much traveling in the past and you aren't used to finding a spot to crash I would look into couchsurfing.org and/or maybe a hostel if you have the money.

sparky

Hakike gasuruhodo romanchikku daze !
Reaction score
Staying at a hostel in a country you've just gotten too is a good idea. I haven't stayed in any in the states. But I haven't had any terrible experiences staying at one yet over here in Asia. It's a good way to meet some other travelers and get cheap drinks.

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Yup I probably would stay in a hostel for a few nights when I first get in, just for a bit of security, ya'know? But its expensive and my intentions are to travel round the states for quite a long time so I dont wanna go spunking it all on hostels.

Totally forgot about couchsurfing, doy!

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Alright so it's time I stop fucking day dreaming and telling myself i'm gonna do this shit and actually just do it. I'm sick and i'm tired of living in the country i'm in and it's just pretty much done for me.
Been planning a big trip over to the US ever since I can even remember and what with me turning 21 in 2 months and a fair stash in my savings I think it's about fucking time I stop trying to hang on for a travel buddy and just go alone.

I'm a super shy and nervous person so the thought pretty much terrifies me but it's all i've ever wanted to do. I'm looking for some pointers on what I should think about and where I should go. What the fuck do I do the second I step offa that plane? Any info on how to find somewhere to live and mostly importantly (to me) some new decent acquaintances. I'm pretty new to all this shit so yup. Terrifying thought, right?

I'd be flying out from London to JFK in Ny. NY is top on my hit list so please spare me the 'don't go there' talk.
Taking that first step,is always hard,but you want to do it ! Once taken,you'll be feeling pretty good !

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'll keep on digging on google !

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
WWOOF if you're into working agriculture and gardening and whatnot. You can make a bit of pocket money for good work and even find jobs elsewhere, and this provides a place to stay and they feed you (since you can't apply for food stamps). Also, you can ask around or search online for food banks to stay fed.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads