Trucker offering rides

C

Chris Watson

I deleted myself
Hi. I'm new to this site. I'm a trucker willing to help you get down the road.

Reactions: 9 people
OP
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Mighty fine thing of you to offer.

You're an independent?

Is there a region you cover or do you go everywhere?

OP
C

Chris Watson

I deleted myself
Mighty fine thing of you to offer.

You're an independent?

Is there a region you cover or do you go everywhere?
I'm not independent, but my boss is pretty cool about things.

I generally don't go west of I-35 or northeast past Buffalo.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Very cool and thank you :) I'm affiliated with a few other trucker rideshares who have given some great emergency rides to people in need across the country. I will IM you on these rideshare trucker groups. Most cool is Kenny Holliday and Jason Black. :) But really cool to bring here!!!!

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
We need more truck drivers doing this. Hitchiking is part of the culture but has less and less independent owner/operators and more fleet drivers worried about loosing their jobs. Trucking and hitchhiking have historically gone together like peanut butter and jelly, not so much lately here in the US. I have gotten rides from both and wish it happened more. I have heard its company policy and or an insurance liability way too much while flying a sign hitching at truck stops. Hopefully more drivers will do this both out there on the road but also on STP. I think it would be cool to get a few pro long distance truckers to get active here on STP.

Wouldnt it be cool to have a STP driver board section where drivers could post where and when they will be going. I know a lot of guys sometimes do the same runs where as others wait for loads for their next trip, return trip. I would love to see travelers take advantage of both impromptu trips where a truck driver happens to be rolling thru somewhere and meet a rider say at a predesignated spop, say if they are stuck somewhere. I also think if drivers were to post future rides that there could be some advanced notice to coordinate long distance travel.

I would love to see a rideboard here similar to couchsurfing but with rides with ground rules/expectations (pets, amount of people, cleanliness,smoking,drugs, drinking,contraband,warrants,behavior etc.) feedback & or a rating system for drivers and riders. Sure we have the rideshare section already and only a few truckers but if enough got involved it could be a great way to expand this community and potentially return to a bygone era of more truckers picking up hitchhikers. Crustsurfing seemed to take off from just a few doing it & has much success with bringing people travelers & those housed up & or non travelers together. I have "yet" to ever coordinate a ride from STP but have done probably 40 or so on craigslist, often their is a financial contribution factor that can be waved easier on craigslist if you explain your situation. Humanity is genuinely good & willing to help out with rides since most people have to make a trip anyway (like truckers). Just providing company & conversation is probably a welcome change to many long distance professional drivers.

Thank you for doing this @Chris Watson and welcome to STP!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people

Tude

Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
@highwayman - on the facebook groups they have ride rollcall on the three trucker rideshare groups I'm on - where ya going, can ya take a rider, and some gear and or pups and such. It is a very doable and working relationship with the truckers. @Matt Derrick . I have contacts with all and will ask them .

highwayman

Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
I personally have never done anything on facebook so wouldnt know @Tude. Many STP users may be willing to create a facebook account to get rides but I wont; perhaps there are others here who also intentionally boycott facebook.

It sounds like it could also work here on STP if more drivers were interested in getting involved. Im unsure of how much coding & work to the site that would fall on the shoulders of @Matt Derrick who if im not mistaken may be going on a long distance bike tour soon. He may be busy enough with normal website maintenance & improvements while also trying to work, play & live outside of STP.

Last edited:

Tude

Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
@highwayman - stp is also on facebook so I don't think it would be a bad thing to incorporate the info. From what I gather from the truckers is that hey they are bored too and some company is cool. Good company meaning no tweakers etc and such. I will approach them and see. :) they are a cool group of people who have helped out a lot of traveling people. :)

Reactions: highwayman

highwayman

Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
I guess if STP & Facebook are somehow linked than it could be just as easy to forward riders to their FB page. I will stick to my trusty CL for rideshares, my thumb for hitching, my bike for cycling & my personal knowledge & experience for hopping trains.

:D

MarsOrScars

Wanderer
Current Location
Marietta, GA
Website
knotcraft.net
@Chris Watson Welcome to the community and thanks for just being an amazing person to offer rides within your area. There is always a demand for drivers.

@Tude I have problems with the book of faces... It's such a quasi dictatorship. It does have the benefit of being the most widely used.

No, it'd be cool to see ridesharing be used here on StP... but this is always work. One could always refer interested truckers and other transportation professionals alike back to this site through FB and they can become acquainted with users the old fashioned PM way.

I feel like the ideal world scenario in this case would be an app designed to arrange meetings between drivers and riders based on their needs. Sorry, but I would have to encourage if not make it mandatory for all travel to be done straight edge, meaning no drugs/contraband. This is a huge liability to drivers, pilots and captains. However, on the flip side, it could guarantee passage over greater distances than just say a hop to the next town over that yonder hill.

Reactions: highwayman
OP
C

Chris Watson

I deleted myself
Contraband is indeed a major risk to drivers. We have our own laws. Stuff that would get other people six months in county lockup will get us 15 years in Leavenworth.

OP
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Keep the rubber side down, good buddy;)

I hope other truckers read this, contact you and decide to post here as well.

I would like to think most of us would make good company.

N0MAD

Pilgrim
Current Location
Betws-y-Coed
Long story short, No he's not. he got burnt by a fellow traveller that screwed it for all of us.