trip report-hobo days and creamed corn...a midwestern experience (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 25993
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25993

I deleted myself
i was pretty exited to go up to britt iowa for the hobo days only because i'd heard about it for years(since 1996) and a memorial for an old friend was going on so i made plans to drive up from missouri and check it out.its just a tiny town in the cornfields not much doing.so why have the hobos been coming since 1933?well i learned a little about that while i was there.for one thing you can camp in the park for free.there is hot meals and bathrooms with showers.lots of interesting people and good music.if your 60 your young there and you got to have a walking stick.its seems very family friendly and a tradition for folks who had a hobo in the family or some connection to the train world.the scene at the hob nob bar was alot of older folks and some tramps a band was playing all was well.i still couldnt figure out why exactly they would come here...no trainyard,no river.walking back to camp i was feeling the effects of drinking in a wierd way and felt like i was in some place in between life and death.somewhere where time doesnt exist.turns out i had put my tent next to someone i lived with 20 years ago.i recognized there voice and i thought it was a doppelvoice.couldnt be the same person.but it was and i slowly figured it out.we had a bitter sweet reunion.someone from a part of my life i dont need or want to remember anymore.i get out of there early on saturday and missed the crowning of the king and queen,but i needed to get to winona for cream corn wrestling.it was a nice contrast to be on the mississippi river in minesota,in this beautifull little river town.the corn was cooked the night before by the next generation,my friends kids who are now 15-18.the party got started and the kids were wrestling and slamming each other in the corn...the adults were chearing them on it was hilarious.at some point a 10 year old with a mowhawk is on the microphone yelling"c'mon get in the corn,the older generation cant do it anymore(we could but its gross once is enough).an islander pulls up in a truck and unloads a canoe and empties 3 cases of beer and ice into the canoe but stands guard against anyone too young.ten pizzas are magically delivered to the island.i get to stay in my old cabin but the mosquitoes get in and just after i set up the bug net a bat gets stuck in the wood stove.after that i went to minneapolis to retrieve my upright bass i left there last summer.it takes up the whole passenger seat.i barley slept at my friends house and left 530 am to get my stuff in winona and drive the rest of the way to kansas city which somehow took 12 hours.it was a fun 5 days but i am so glad to be home.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
D

Deleted member 25993

I deleted myself
If you're glad to be home then it was totally worth it!
its always worth it.sometimes when i go travelling its sort of miserable or hard in some way but i end up remembering the time in the most special way.its good to get out there and make memories.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wizehop The Winter Fox - trip report / short story Travel Stories 21
Coughing Prophet Trip Report Anthology Travel Stories 1
Sun Sage Tripp Missing In Phoenix Area Missed Connections 4
MxEx bike trip through florida next month Bike Touring 4
Kevo562 L.A area i have a car need a driver for short roadtrip Road Dogs & Meet Up 1
CondorTheRed Planning a mutli-month trip to anywhere Introductions 6
MetalBryan January round-trip between Washington, DC and Kansas City Road Dogs & Meet Up 0
MyWayHome Photos Though I'd never road trip again... Introductions 0
Childgoddess How to scrap and strip copper for extra money? Money, Work & Food 21
Morwin Hello, I'm planning a trip to Duluth Introductions 4
BlowUpTrains Motorcycle trip, seattle>area51>slabcity...depart end of august. Road Dogs & Meet Up 4
Eng JR Lupo RV323 Datura Innoxia aka Moonflower trip to the psychiatric ward The In-Between 21
Koala Koala's first trip to Southeast Asia Travel Stories 26
jypzi Planning trip from Utah to Venice Beach Introductions 2
JonTheNomad Gonna be attempting a walking trip in Brazil, any tips? South America 1
superphoenix Lost it All - Still the Best 10 Days of My Life: My Trip West Travel Stories 5
saul Trip Mexico 4
OuttaTownWeGo New introduction to STP for my future trips an such Introductions 6
Coywolf Idea for next Southwest leg of Trip... United States 11
Jo3k1n9 My 4 month long road trip comes to an end in tucson, az Introductions 6
MadAndy My trip to the Gaza Strip and Podcast Travel Stories 5
bystander Photos Down south road trip Travel Stories 4
saul planning a trip to to central america Introductions 1
Matt Derrick back from a long road trip, updates to stp coming soon Website Announcements 1
The lone traveler 24 looking to make a trip from Tampa to Georgia Train Hopping 7
Koala Photos East Coast Road Trippin Travel Stories 6
Rocky first post. first step. first trip. first adventure. Eager to combine Eagle Scout knowledge w/Life Introductions 1
PixieBabe The Trip So Far Travel Stories 4
Art101 Summer trip Train Hopping 10
Art101 Photos Little trip to an Atlas site. Urban Exploration 6
Lavino Santa’s mine trip north wales uk Urban Exploration 0
Dcook213 One way trip Introductions 0
D Photos My trip to Uluru n Alice springs part 1 Travel Stories 2
pcflvly Trip Update - Iowa to Texas Bike Touring 1
Troubadour9999 Hello from Milwaukee, commune road trip soon. Introductions 10
creature new road trip? just a heads up. General Banter 9
archie2020 Hitching Trip through NY to Canada (tips?) Hitchhiking 6
GyspyDandA Tripple spange EVANSTON WYOMING Travel Stories 5
echeneis Leaving Monday, thinking about starting towards Denver - Its been 4 since my last trip Introductions 7
Thunder D Hey everyone! I'm planning a trip! Introductions 2
nivoldoog News & Blogs Short trip to Washington State Travel Stories 4
G Video My first solo trip to Atlanta Travel Stories 11
Billy Cougar White Hitch hiking trip to Tofino.....hippies, shrooms, and a commune Travel Stories 11
SammyG Planning a trip to detroit Urban Exploration 6
Spacescum N00b road trip Ontario to Florida Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 7
Bedheadred Win a campervan road trip and free gear Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 0
Mongo Mexico day trip 2016 Jamboree 4
fruit is bad for you Photos My Trip to Kyrgyzstan Asia 8
pepper hotzauze Just finished my first trip down the Saint Lawrence Boat Punk / Sailing 3
Koala Photos The trip that started it all Travel Stories 4