Traveling with dogs! | Squat the Planet

Traveling with dogs!

LittleOcean

Reaction score
So disapointed. My phone just glitched and deleted my entire original post...

So I'm going to try and shorten it up this time:

Ive been nomadic for a long time. Originally being in OH i travelled to CA back in 2012. I just left north/Central CA to get out of an abusive relationship. I had been secretly putting some of my money aside without my ex knowing so I could leave and have a chance. I don't really have a destination at this point. I had to leave my job and everyone behind so I could try and start over. I was homeless once before when I first got to CA with my old dog but that was a few years ago. My dog Mary has since passed away, having jumped a fence into an old neighbors yard and she got killed by their two pitbulls. I harbor no hard feelings towards pits as it was the owner who trained them to be aggressive and they didn't know any better. As it turned out, I actually own a pit mix myself now! I also have a husky mix and they are best of buds! I would never have left them in the hands of my ex in fear for their very precious lives. The first time he put hands on me was because I got between him and my dog Koda. Who's now skittish of men especially. He's such a sweetheart and would never attack back.

So my main question is "Where should we go?"

Like I said, I left CA and I'm in TN now and running low on funds. Im not a performer and unfortunately don't have special skills to make money easily. I have no problems getting a job and working once I find a place to keep my boys while I'm at work and I have a car but I'm not sure what direction to head in. Any advice would be great! I've never held a sign and I work to earn my money. I'm not totally opposed to heading back west but I refuse to be anywhere near Sacramento.

Thinking about finding an abandoned house and squatting. My biggest fear though, of course, is the safety of my dogs. Any and all advice helps!

P.S. I always make sure my dogs eat before I do! There's been times when I go to bed hungry and they don't. Lol. Giving them up isn't really an option for me. My boys are keeping my spirits up and help making this journey so much better! Thanks all and enjoy your journey!

Namaste!

LittleOcean

Reaction score
Koda is a pitbull/german shepherd mix (the tan one) and Marshall is a husky/chow mix (the fluffy orange one). For those who may be wondering what they look like! <3
20180418_213814.jpg
20180407_154755.jpg

Reactions: Odin

Dameon

Reaction score
Definitely don't leave your dogs in a squat; that's a great way to find out your dogs are in the pound. Your best bet is probably to find some sort of work/live setup where your dogs can be there with you, but it's going to be really hard for you to find that kind of setup where it's not some creepy dude that has you alone on his property trying to get in your pants.

LittleOcean

Reaction score
Definitely don't leave your dogs in a squat; that's a great way to find out your dogs are in the pound. Your best bet is probably to find some sort of work/live setup where your dogs can be there with you, but it's going to be really hard for you to find that kind of setup where it's not some creepy dude that has you alone on his property trying to get in your pants.

Thank you for the advice. Obviously one of the reasons I hate being a woman. My dogs are more then friendly with other dogs it's just a matter of finding somewhere I can keep them. I lost many contacts when I lost my old phone and now that I have a new number no one can contact me. I haven't been around the south eastern part of the US and thats part of why I travelled this direction. Thinking I might have some luck in FL. But for now I'm posted here in TN waiting to get advice because I'd hate to land somewhere without having options.

LittleOcean

Reaction score
florida is a shit hole avoid it like the plague unless you have friends/family here and a place to stay.

No I don't have family there. When I was young my dad moved our small family to Ohio. Cutting off communication with cousins/ aunts and uncles etc. Since 2012 I left OH and went to CA, my sister lives with her husband and doesn't have the room for anyone else, my dad lives in TN and he doesnt want anyone staying with him, then theres my mom who is now a truck driver and doesn't have a house herself. So I'm really in need of advice for a friendly place I can go and make something of myself.

I've been researching homesteads with trying to find one that could use a farm/garden hand.

D

Deleted member 21429

I've made this pitch to five others here and no takers, but I have a room you can have if you want to take care of a big lawn that I don't have time for. I have a black lab/pit who is also very friendly. There are a shit ton of seasonal jobs here that last till thanksgiving. I am putting this place up for sale come mid sept and want to hit the road in a Stepvan I just bought by Nov. I'm 58 and am not looking for a piece of ass. Just looking for some help. This is not a lap of luxury but it is a very cool spot. So, there it is. If you have enough gas money for the trip here, you and your dogs are welcome. If you feel sketchy about the whole thing, well you should be, never know these days and from the stories I've read on this site I don't expect you to take up the offer. But it is there. You wanna bring a friend you meet, that is okay too, got plenty of shit to do. All I ask is for at least 8hrs of work a week in exchange for a place. Best of luck to you. ~ peace and if you or anyone reading this wants to know more call me and leave a message at 607 282-6018. Gotta leave a message because I don't answer unknown numbers. My name is Mac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads