Traveling with a Rat

kaity23

Reaction score
So I'm going to be traveling with a rat pretty soon and I think he'll do fine, and I've been doing a lot of research about keeping him cool with a water bottle but I'm concerned about what to carry him in when I'm walking around. I'm staying in my van and he'll have a cage in there but idk what to keep him in. I tried keeping him in a hamster cage but he didnt like it. I could carry him in a sling but when i put it down he would crawl out, so should i just keep trying to get him to stay in te hamster cage or what?

dylann

Reaction score

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Trains are way out of the question. Hitching I don't think is much better. If you're in a van, that's better, but rats are fragile. I don't know how much you know about rats, but make sure you've got antibiotics on hand for myco flare-ups/other meds for any other sickness they might get, proper food, clean water, and have money ready for any potential vet trips. Here's a good guide to rat health that I think you should print out/copy and keep with you.

Also, consider getting your rat a friend. Rats naturally live in colonies and it's been proven that their lives are shorter if they're kept alone. Imagine it the other way around, you wouldn't want to be the only human surrounded by giant creatures you can't communicate with.

As for walking around, I think as long as your rat thinks you're safe, they'll stick to you. Spend time around him and build up some trust.

Cxr - fuzz butts everywhere

Reactions: arexandriuhrae

Shakou

Reaction score
Pretty much what CXR said....

And as a shameless plug for myself, if anyone is in the south west and wants a baby rat, send me a message. My female, Possum, I think is pregnant. It was an accident, but both the mother and father come from long lines of great health (came from a close personal friend of mine who breeds show rats) and are both amazingly tame. The father lays on his back in your hands and will eat. Only thing I ask is you do your homework and know how to care for a rat.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads