Traveling with a hard or soft case?

crow

Wanderer
Current Location
Seattle, United States
friend of mine traveled with a soft case for his guitar for 2 years and had no problem on the trains. you can also reinforce with cardboard.

hard cases can be heavy and cumbersome.

plus with softies, you can always sew on new pouches :D

Reactions: eastendgirl

Tatanka

Hobo
Current Location
Potter County PA
age verification? ive used soft and just strapping a guitar to my pack with bungee cords. someway or day soft case or bare youll be tossing it around and maybe break it. I never rode a train with an instrument but have hitched a good bit with a few different guitars. even tied a flannel to full size to hitch a few hundred miles and it was fine. consciousness of it and not forgetfulness.

OP
eastendgirl

eastendgirl

Current Location
Atlanta, GA
Website
carcrashkid.bandcamp.com
age verification? ive used soft and just strapping a guitar to my pack with bungee cords. someway or day soft case or bare youll be tossing it around and maybe break it. I never rode a train with an instrument but have hitched a good bit with a few different guitars. even tied a flannel to full size to hitch a few hundred miles and it was fine. consciousness of it and not forgetfulness.
Im 18... (Im assuming thats what youre asking)
Ive got hard and soft cases but i just cant decide what id prefer.

Sent from my LG-K373 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Bend, OR
Website
www.youtube.com
I will never travel with a hard case again, unless I'm carrying around a $3000 guitar or something. That shit is way too heavy and cumbersome. They also make a hybrid hard/soft case reinforced with foam. Way lighter, more expensive, super durable. I'm going to trade my hard case for a soft case for my bouzouki ASAP.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
StP Supporter
Current Location
Redcliffe, Qld
Website
www.faceboook.com
I bought a cheap acoustic and soft case when I was in NOLA in 2015 - it survived a road trip up to DC, numerous trains (granted, they weren't freighters), a few flights, a car accident and a very drunk me. Never thought I'd love that guitar as much as I do!
Even around home base when I'm gigging I mainly use soft cases, unless it's the rare time I'm flying out for a show with the one nice guee-tar I have (my baby...Fender Blacktop Jag), then I borrow a hard case.

All comes down to what you have and how precious your instrument is to you. Soft cases are my usual preference - cheaper, lighter, easier to get around and there are plenty of ways to add extra padding/enforcement if you're travelling rough or worried.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Don't touch it. STOP fucking touching it! - Facebook
I always wanted to do something fun like go on another road trip Hop a Train I am anxious to just leave but I don`t want to do this by my self & I Don`t have any friends with same interestI am tired of getting up going to work and coming home and stareing at walls I like classic rock 60`s 70`s 80`s 90`s If I listed all my groups it would be long list arts and crafts puzzles movies concerts festivals camping books
Good morning to the world; thank you for being kind to me today.
what a great day to be sober.
off to busk in Galway city, ireland
Go to Savannah, seek out and sneak on a Q037, head over to Jacksonville, take Amtrak back to Savannah, problem solved!
It appears the recent upgrade broke the registration page, so if you know anyone trying to register an account that can't, that's why. I'm working on a fix.
Bey
It's a very unique, modern feeling, yes?: To miss someone you've never met...
A Simple Step Van wrote on wISDOMiZdUm's profile.
Been over a month. Whaddayadoin? Construction? ~ peace and hope this finds you well
See you later, San Diego. It’s back to the Rockies with me.
If anyone happens to be out that way over the next three weeks, hit me up! I’ll be milling around, playing shows, and getting into trouble <3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Soup can