Traveling with a hard or soft case?

crow

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Seattle, United States
friend of mine traveled with a soft case for his guitar for 2 years and had no problem on the trains. you can also reinforce with cardboard.

hard cases can be heavy and cumbersome.

plus with softies, you can always sew on new pouches :D

Threads
Current Location
Potter County PA
age verification? ive used soft and just strapping a guitar to my pack with bungee cords. someway or day soft case or bare youll be tossing it around and maybe break it. I never rode a train with an instrument but have hitched a good bit with a few different guitars. even tied a flannel to full size to hitch a few hundred miles and it was fine. consciousness of it and not forgetfulness.

OP
OP
eastendgirl
Threads
Current Location
Atlanta, GA
Website
carcrashkid.bandcamp.com
age verification? ive used soft and just strapping a guitar to my pack with bungee cords. someway or day soft case or bare youll be tossing it around and maybe break it. I never rode a train with an instrument but have hitched a good bit with a few different guitars. even tied a flannel to full size to hitch a few hundred miles and it was fine. consciousness of it and not forgetfulness.
Im 18... (Im assuming thats what youre asking)
Ive got hard and soft cases but i just cant decide what id prefer.

Sent from my LG-K373 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Threads
Current Location
Bend, OR
Website
www.youtube.com
I will never travel with a hard case again, unless I'm carrying around a $3000 guitar or something. That shit is way too heavy and cumbersome. They also make a hybrid hard/soft case reinforced with foam. Way lighter, more expensive, super durable. I'm going to trade my hard case for a soft case for my bouzouki ASAP.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Redcliffe, Qld
Website
www.faceboook.com
I bought a cheap acoustic and soft case when I was in NOLA in 2015 - it survived a road trip up to DC, numerous trains (granted, they weren't freighters), a few flights, a car accident and a very drunk me. Never thought I'd love that guitar as much as I do!
Even around home base when I'm gigging I mainly use soft cases, unless it's the rare time I'm flying out for a show with the one nice guee-tar I have (my baby...Fender Blacktop Jag), then I borrow a hard case.

All comes down to what you have and how precious your instrument is to you. Soft cases are my usual preference - cheaper, lighter, easier to get around and there are plenty of ways to add extra padding/enforcement if you're travelling rough or worried.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Wasabi Peas wrote on Punkindrublic95's profile.
you still lookin around in philly? get back to me if youre still trying to find a crash
Bey
How is one supposed to respond to an offer to go to Missouri?...Am I being unfair for having a massive amount of trepidation?...
Well good news didnt break my collar bone: just tore a muscle in my shldr...and by good news I mean I'll be back playing bike polo alot sooner than I thought. As always any kids passing thru Cincinnati lemme know. Buds brews and a floor to crash: be safe kids!
Just a month and a half of all this nonsense left.
AAAutin wrote on roughdraft's profile.
I posted this by mistake. So, let's just keep it our little secret, hmm? NO ONE HAS TO KNOW.
Chatty Kathy ain't got nuffin' on Chatty NOOGA.
Damn it's windy at Joshua Tree! Good to be traveling again tho!
Didn't get fired. Boo. IF only I had some control, if I could somehow choose not to go wage slave my life away...if only there was some community out there that could show me a different way to live...oh well...gonna go have TV party tonite...
Juan Derlust wrote on Crazy Hobo Johnny's profile.
Happy birthday!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Myatezhnik