Traveling with a blind dog any advice | Squat the Planet

Traveling with a blind dog any advice

GuyXsmith

Reaction score
My girlfriend just got a pup he can't see well and we think he'll eventually go blind does anyone have any advice about traveling with a blind dog or if it's even possible. Anything advice helps. Thanks a lot

D

Deleted member 125

this aint what you wanna hear but um, that aint a good look. for the pups safety and ya'lls also thats just not a good idea.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
It depends on how you travel.. if you rv around the country then a blind pup is no problem. If you hop freight i really think pup should stay home where its safe. Does he navigate by bumping or is his sight good enough to see objects in his path?

GuyXsmith

Reaction score
It depends on how you travel.. if you rv around the country then a blind pup is no problem. If you hop freight i really think pup should stay home where its safe. Does he navigate by bumping or is his sight good enough to see objects in his path?
. He can see just not very well but we think he will eventually lose his sight

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Don't do freight!! ... Rubber & Thumbs - ok... Exceptional training, required... Dogs can be trained to a variety of signals... Left & Right, Stop, Slow, Up, etc... Audio commands & leash training... As long as you're not trying to catch out with them & the dog is now showing sign of distress "travelling" itself should be fine... Dogs like humans can be extremely resilient. :)

... Railroads however, do damage their hearing... Blind & doesnt hear well - probably not a good combo... & limits your ability to see for them & communicate (audio commands) if they can't hear what you're asking them to do...

So, as stated above, depends on how you're planning on travelling. & how willing you guys are to work on/with training pup...

Blind dogs still make good herding dogs - because they're following commands of their masters & can hear what the herd does... If a blind dog can still be an outdoors working dog, personally, if they've got good owner, & arent doing rail travel, i see no reason blind dog wouldnt be just as good of a companion... If human & dog are properly trained.

• Agree
Reactions: beersalt

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Dogs at least mine, follows my voice more than anything. Yes he can see but he drives most his actions based off my voice. Which I know wld be different if he Clint see. But I like to think with some proper ,granted abnormal training, he could stay right by your side. My dog when traveling always has his nose on my pant leg. Granted it's so he can observe and still stay with me without looking. But I dont see y a blind dog couldn't be trained to keep nose on, an listen to commands such as 'up' , 'step' , etc...it seems challenging to say the least but not at all impossible. Imo. Good luck safe travels and if u ever hit up cincinnati let me know

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Dogs are remarkable in their devotion to their keeper - nearly any obstacle can be overcome; however - developing a bond between pet and master, your situation is less than ideal.
I disagree politely, a blind dog wants nothing more than any other dog...companionship. a dog will follow u over the cliffs of hell if it trusts you....and this dog needs companionship more than most. .therefore I would think it'd stick right by you and adapt like we all do

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads