Traveling west

ZJFox

Reaction score
I am planning on traveling west. I have never rode the rails or hitchhiked, though I have tried to get a ride when I was traveling on foot from Detroit back to Columbus, Ohio. Well, anyway, I may be riding a bike to Oklahoma City or I might jump a train. I don't have any plans yet. I am looking for information of places I can stop and rest and get food. I prefer either safe cities or places in the country.

ZJFox

Reaction score
I am in Columbus, Ohio. I don't have a planned route as of yet. I am trying to plan right now. I just use the sun to know what way I am going when I travel.

flashinglights

Reaction score

eclipse

Reaction score
I am in Columbus, Ohio. I don't have a planned route as of yet. I am trying to plan right now. I just use the sun to know what way I am going when I travel.

holy shit dude, you're a primitive mofo, right?! you walk from detroit to columbus and ride bikes from here to hell and back?!! thats the most interesting and original shit i've heard in a long time, no doubt.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
when yer traveling the main highways of the US.... basically everywhere is the same.... there's the podunk gas-up exits that dont have much other than a little gas staion or two... there's truck stop exits .... theres wal-mart/mall/shoppingland exits..... when you get to any city...my advice would be to find somewhere on the outskirts to camp..and if you want to check out the city take a bus or hitch in so you can get a feel for the place ....nothin like somebody sayin "oh yeah...i'll drop you off right downtown bro" at 10:00 at nite then you gotta find some bush or alley to crash in, not knowing what the local crackhead situation is...... so yeah....for places to stop and make money and food... your shootin for truckstops and exits with lots of restaraunts and businesses...usually a couple miles before an exit will be a big blue sign that lists some of the gas stations and restaraunts there...the more the better...sit at that cracker barrel exit with yer "hungry" sign.... haha anybody ever notice that almost no african americans go to "cracker" barrel..just sayin.........but yeah...you'll be ahhight....dont worry about shit till you get out there...you'll figger it out quick enough...... oh, and expect trains to be a real pain in the ass if you dont know what your doin

eclipse

Reaction score
good advice. theres really just a short list of basics to go by when on the road and most of its just common sense. be smart and figure out what resources are available to you in any given area/situation. im a logistical minded person but thats just my way, some just float and thats their thing. trust your instincts, especially when dealing with the locals. if some crusty bastard says, "yeah, sure, i know a good spot for you to camp", use caution. you meet some real people out there but you also meet alot more scumbags.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads