Traveling on a minibike/over powered moped

Jamie charlton

Reaction score
Right now I am getting ready to start traveling again. I was gonna go with one idea but circumstances changed that. I am going to be taking my Mini-bike/moped instead. It gets a nice 75 mi to the gallon, and im sure it wont be hard to gas jug for it. the main problem/question is the fact of storage, I currently have a milk crate attached to the front and have a glove compartment. But since i am going to be traveling a decent distance on it instead of day trips i need more storage and i need to figure out a way to carry my guitar and not have it get in the way. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions are welcome and would be greatly appreciated!

The attached pic is my bike.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 428
  • Sad
Reactions: Mankini

callmeG

Reaction score
Saddle bags would help increase your luggage capacity, but probably not do much as far as holding a full size guitar. I'd totally travel on a minibike if I thought I could do it without getting pulled over every 5 minutes. I've done some moped traveling before, but now you need almost as much shit to ride one as a motorcycle.

Jamie charlton

Reaction score
Saddle bags would help increase your luggage capacity, but probably not do much as far as holding a full size guitar. I'd totally travel on a minibike if I thought I could do it without getting pulled over every 5 minutes. I've done some moped traveling before, but now you need almost as much shit to ride one as a motorcycle.
for the most part as long as you are not doing anything crazy or drawing attention to yourself there is no issue. I have ridden at least 400mi in total just driving around ny state and some of Connecticut and mas and have had no issue at all. right now my main issue is my guitar I really am against leaving behind considering its my main source of busking.
also eyegor im looking into the site now, thanks

Dmac

Reaction score
Just strap it around your shoulders, like a backpack or satchel and go.

Jamie charlton

Reaction score
also strapping it around the shoulders is not a good idea, it causes a lot of drag and i have ride through winter to get out of the north.... so thats not a good idea do to a lot of cold air getting trapped on my back.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
what about 2 parallel 2x4's (of good wood) about 36" -42" long, bolted to your seat to make an extended rack?
from the top, like this

--------------------
( ==)
--------------------

from the side (with yer guitar & panniers or pack:

<<====>>=&=[==]=

the rigging on your front is interesting.. if it doesn't interfere with steering, it's good counterbalance if you load the back..btw.. i would avoid any liquids up front, since the sloshing could be difficult to control..
you've ridden her, though, so you know how she is, fer sure..

anyways, just a thought..

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini and tobepxt

Jamie charlton

Reaction score
I really like that idea, i just might do that. I have the wood, and it would make it so much easier to attach other things to it also. And yes i know.... liquid on the handlebars is a really bad idea, and the milk crate works great and does not interfere with the steering... also if i do that i can also mount another milk crate or two to it really easily. then the only thing left would be to some how make it so that the contents of the milk crates dont get wet.... might be as easy as just getting a small tarp and some bungiechords.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
keep the heavier stuff closer to the center!

if you do use crates, mount 'em low..

creature

Banned
Reaction score
& avoid pine, unless yer gonna change out to oak, later on..

you might even get away with 1 or 2 16" extending cross members, or additional parallel (2 deep) 2x4's, if you find you need clearance..

for any wood to wood connecting work, use screws!!

& of course for wood to metal, bolts &/or u clamps, double nutted.. (1 nut on top compressing & holding in place the one below)..

creature

Banned
Reaction score
AMENIA FUCKING NEW YORK????

HOLY SHIT BUDDY, YER MY NEIGHBOR!!!!

in cali, right now, but raised in the hamlets of Lloyd..

gardiner, highland & amenia!!

though new paltz is where i hung from 14, until i had to get back to the ocean..

God.. i remember the junk yards..
& the Orchards!!

& the Hills, with snow, Rolling..

& a girl i nearly married..

i remember the CHG&E power plant, lines crossing from the valley up to Minnewaska..

the hudson bridge & the inexorable corrosion of the cities, east & south..

sounds like your family has been there a while..

i think the Amenia kids got split up between new paltz & highland, in my day..
hopefully you guys might have gotten a smaller school of your own..

new paltz grew like shit because of the college, & highland because of IBM, but our class was usually about 1/2 the size.. which says nothing, because when you grow to be a monster, size does little to relieve basic character..

but yer profile says farmer, so that's damn great : )

shit, man..

treat yer family right & go out & goddamn explore!

Reactions: tobepxt

Jamie charlton

Reaction score
here is what i ended up doing. I had an old metal framed backpack and mounted it up.
IMG_0105_zpssjbfi1eg.jpg

works really well surprisingly, gives me a nice back rest and very little drag on it either. i was gonna go with the 2x4 idea till i realized i didnt have the hardware to do it. i hope to add it though when i do have the chance

Reactions: tobepxt

creature

Banned
Reaction score
interesting.. good rig up.. : )

never got even close to being able to code..

my fucking word, just the trees & road bring back memories..

that looks like 44/55, down there, where i did a survey on a huge ass piece of land in.. 2004?

i've got stones & pins set in a lot of places, out there..

O, Man.. & the stone walls..

i've traveled all over the country & i have never seen walls so common or long or strong as those of new england.. the farmer's walls of ulster county are second to none..

should you ever come back, or have a chance before you split, you should go to the ulster county clerk's office.. in 2005 you could *still* handle original maps dating from the early 1800's..

they may have digitized & put them away, now, but the used to be in the old map books, down in the basement..

anyways, drink in the home of your youth, just in case you find your dearest freedom, elsewhere..

if yer on good terms with your family, they'll see you through this, & love & help you regardless of how many miles you cross.. you are about to learn & experience more than even desire and imagination can prepare you for..

it's funny.. crazy people don't even realize how hard core their fucking balls are..
be carefull, try & be wise, be cautious, be trusting, but be way fucking sharp...

if you are going to do this, mofo, i pledge my friendship to you.

you will see what that means if (or when) you ever need to call it in.

before all else, do *not* distract yourself..
do *not* fucking observe yourself.. not unless it is the sort of abstruse kind of thing that happens, as when watching bugs & ants & wondering at the nature of their consciousness..

i was lucky.

when i was a kid, there wasn't any way spread immediate experience any thinner than the thickness of the gel behind my eyes, and i assure you, every moment you spend outside of that is a moment that will not have been what it most fully should have..

at least for now..

a guitar is good.

i fucking salute you.
yer on a goddamned minibike, so maybe i should kowtow, too..

if you see Kate WestCoast, remember to do homage..

**do not measure your success by distance**

all outgoings with the minimum margins of safety & comfort are prone to discombobulation (&perhaps even destruction) at any given moment..

the thing is to say " oh fuck!!" & then do it, or something like it, again, until you have a sense of whether or not what you were fucking stupid enough to try in the first place is what you want to be stupid enough to keep trying..

& if the answer is 'yes', well.. then you have found your path to happiness..

it is just as hard to fail & try again (& just as intrinsically meaningfull) as it is to proceed from any other starting point... there is no interruption..

the point, of course, is not to 'get something', but 'to do what must be done'..

i hope yer bile takes you 19,000 fucking miles & more..

--- make sure you take decent tool set, right?

in any case, good luck, & a lot of folks here will have yer back..

peace,

c

Jamie charlton

Reaction score
Im not originaly from this area, i ended up here by sheer chance, right now im living on old rt. 22 between amenia and wassaic. One of the old luther farms. I have been here for the last 2 1/2 yarrs and due to that beautiful minibike i know this area better than most of the locals lol. I have done some trqveling in the past... Just have been sadly stuck, this i hope will be a new start in a better direction. Also we both know i eill question myself along the aay, but to me that is the point, to question myself and define myself better and descover some things. For the most part i have just hitched and walked. So to me this minibike thing is going to be a whole new expirence and i am looking forward to the challenge. But as always the challenge will be the beautiful and amazing people i am leaving in wassaic... Some i might not see again but one at least i really hope to see again. I hope that as i move onto this next chapter that the people i am leaving will have a smule and a new page in their book of a person and times worth remembering, a page they dont forget and look back from time to time and smile.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads