Travel by Freighter? | Squat the Planet

Travel by Freighter?

E

Elliska

So after a bit of searching on here and the web I've come up with scarce info on intercontinental traveling via freighters. I know in the past it was possible to sign on to a ship as long as you had a passport and vacc. record, but how reasonable or possible is it to do so today? Have any of you looked into/tried it before? And I'm not talking about that paid cruise on a freighter boat shit, that doesn't count.

K

Kim Chee

I think we don't read about it because it is probably seldom done, if ever without permission.

I'd like to hear if anybody here has ridden a freighter (with or without paying).

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I think most people that want this kind of travelling experience just get a job on the boat. I hear the pay is also good and you get somewhat extended periods of time in the foreign place.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
If you're just trying to get from A to B it's apparently more expensive than some cruise lines. To get a job i'm assuming you are on a contract and can't really just jump off when you want (you could but i'm not sure of the issues that would create). To stowaway would bring a lot of problems, I think it's needless to say. Liability, insurance, blah blah blah. If they're dicks, they could even just chuck you off at sea :/

E

Elliska

After a bit more research I've found that the chances of getting a work-your-way-over type of ride via freighter are fuck-all. The best bet it seems is finding some punk crew with a shit yacht and convincing them they could use you.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Well you could always take some sailing lessons and try and find a boat delivery job. That's what I did on Crete, and hitched a ride through to the canary islands (actually I didn't know shit about sailing, and neither did most of the crew!). With a boat delivery, usually the costs are covered by the owner so it's more or less just working for passage and board.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads