Trains with my guitar. | Squat the Planet

Trains with my guitar.

Rambler

Reaction score
Ive seen a couple of threads about taking guitars but none really pertained to what im looking for. So im hitting the road/rails soon but I feel like I got to have my guitar with me. What better way to spend my time in the woods waiting for the westbound then with a jam sesh.

So recently I have been walking around town with my hard shell case and I have come to the conclusion, way to heavy for long distance walking! So im going to probably use my soft shell and throw some card board in there. What im worried about is having to ditch on the fly, like if my train is just going deep into the yard ya know. Am I better off waiting for it to stop and booking it out of the yard? Thoughts and stradgies are welcomed. Tanks.

Jawline

Reaction score
Just be careful dropping it and stuff, the same way youd treat it walking around town. Or get a shitty guitar for traveling that wont matter if it breaks.

Im not a ninja mother fucker, i usually just walk through yards if i dont jump out early enough to get out. Never have trouble with it.

Nemo

Reaction score
Ukelele/mini guitar is where it's at mang

Dead horse

Reaction score
I never had a problem but i hit the dirt and do lots of push ups everyday whether I like or not to keep up my strength. I don't know what meaning your guitar has to you but for me their more or less disposable so if one breaks I just fly a sign and get another

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Yeah I picked up a Johnson traveler before I hit the road.. I traded for it but I think they are 140 new. It's like the Martin backpacker but doesn't have a shitty shaped body.. Buy a new one or find a used one.. But yeah... Mini is the way to go I think.. It'll strap nicely to a pack and it comes with a soft case.. The only ding my guitar got in a month and a half of road was from me dropping it being drunk.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen kids modify those soft guitar cases into their packs. Sew loops on the bottom to hold a sleeping bag, some other clip on/add ons here and there. Guess you might be able to make that work. *shrug*

And I catch on/off trains with my pack on, I don't get why people always throw theirs.

CXR - low base weight

J

Johnny P

My road dog had a guitar with no case...the one time we got off on the fly...I got off first and then ran after the train and he handed the git to me then he got off....

I put my Mando in a soft case and have it wrapped in an old fleece and have successfully dropped it off the train as gently as i could on the fly....

its better to just wait till they stop though

K

Kim Chee

I haven't had the experience of getting on/off with a guitar. I can say this: your shit is disposable, your ass isn't.
Not sure if this makes sense, but think like this: ass first, shit second.

lalalazoe

Reaction score
ive traveled with my guitar in a soft case... so much better than carrying it around in a hard case. hopping off on the fly isnt too bad if your soft case has even just a littleee bit of cushion. threw my guitar off while it was going, jumped off after and found that it was fine, fine, fine. def bring your guitbox with you, dont think of leaving it, youll miss it too much! good luck!

Reactions: Dead horse

HoboGrow

Reaction score
Broke 2 guitars this year on the road. First one got hit by a train in troutdale oregon the other broke in misoula. I threw it in the river bext to the squat.
Be carfeful with your shit on the road. If it has sentimental value dont bring it. rage up a cheap one so when it breaks your heart wont too.

Reactions: Dead horse

Dead horse

Reaction score
Straight goods dude! I bought a shitty Yamaha f 20 something series acoustic for like 100 but it holds sentimental value so i just buy shitty like X-Scargo beaters and Black Dogs for like 40, 50 bucks and bang those up till they turn to sentimental firewood and that's that

Reactions: bryanpaul

lalalazoe

Reaction score
nahh... guitars, nice guitars too, are yours to play. if you're traveling, take it with you. guitars are guitars, there will be other ones - theyll come to you somehow. dont just buy a shitty one bc youre afraid youll fuck up the one you love. play the one you love. life's fast. live out everything you are, and have, as much as you can... live nowwww

HoboGrow

Reaction score
nahh... guitars, nice guitars too, are yours to play. if you're traveling, take it with you. guitars are guitars, there will be other ones - theyll come to you somehow. dont just buy a shitty one bc youre afraid youll fuck up the one you love. play the one you love. life's fast. live out everything you are, and have, as much as you can... live nowwww
uhhh maybe if you are made of money. reality is im a drunk shit breaks im not throwing down 2 gs on a guitar and throwing it off a train.

Reactions: Gonx

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads