Trainhopping in cartoons (1 Viewer)

Mongoose2

Pilgrim
I've been lurking for years, but due to the new restrictions on the hopping board I guess I need to hobble out the shadows and make some posts. To prove my worthiness, I'll pass on my comprehensive knowledge of trainhopping cartoon characters. I'll start with the stuff from the modern age and from there we'll take a trip back to the black and white glory days of both animation and hoboing.

The Simpsons

I'll kick it off with episode S12E21 "Simpsons Tall Tales". An anthology episode, the whole family hops a UP box car and end up being serenaded with songs and classic folk tales courtesy of an admittedly filthy hobo.

Homer goes on to give the hobo a sponge bath as payment for his stories:

Classic. This actually wasn't the first time someone hopped a train on The Simpsons--in this clip from episode S3E24 "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?", Homer's half brother Herb, homeless and on the rails due to Homer's stupidity in an earlier episode, takes his time to hop that good ride. Homer then trips balls on a massage chair.

Full episodes:
The Simpsons Season 12 Episode 21 – Simpsons Tall Tales | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/the-simpsons-season-12-episode-21-simpsons-tall-tales-2
The Simpsons Episode 324 Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes? | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/the-simpsons-episode-324-brother-can-you-spare-two-dime-2

Ren and Stimpy

In episode S4E11 "Wiener Barons", the pair travel north to Canada trying to make it big in the wiener industry. Insanity ensues. No clips for this one, but here are some screencaps:

renandstimpy1-png.55518

renandstimpy2-png.55519

Full episode:

Family Guy

In episode S2E13 "Road to Rhode Island", Brian and Stewie travel across the country and end up performing a musical number in a box car. I personally consider Family Guy to be trash, but I'm not discriminating here and it's actually a decent episode.

Full episode:
Family Guy Season 2 Episode 13 Road to Rhode Island | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/family-guy-episode-20-road-to-rhode-island-2

Hey Arnold!

In episode 93a "On the Lam", Harold, Sid, and Stinky, thinking they blew up a police station, head to the train yard to try to ride down south. They don't actually end up going anywhere, but whatever, it makes the list.

giphy_s-gif.55521

I'll also mention episode 8b "Haunted Train". This is more of a general train episode, but it's a classic.

1-png.55522

Full episodes:
Hey Arnold! Season 5 Episode 8 – On the Lam | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/hey-arnold-season-5-episode-8-on-the-lam-2
Hey Arnold Season 1 Episode 8 – The List | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/hey-arnold-season-1-episode-8-the-list-2 (second part)

Catscratch

For the sake of completeness I have to include Catscratch episode 4b "Mr. Pickles". This show, about talking cats, is pure dogshit but the episode does have one decent line about riding the rails into oblivion.

catscratch-png.55520

Full episode (it sucks, don't watch it):

American Pop

Directed by Ralph Bakshi, American Pop is a flawed but great movie from 1981 that follows a family of musicians from generation to generation, showcasing 100 years of American music. One character travels from NYC to the west coast, and ends up jamming with some hobos in a box car.

Full movie:
American Pop | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/american-pop

Bonus - An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

No actual hopping in this, but I think it deserves to be here.

Attachments

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
OP
Mongoose2

Mongoose2

Pilgrim
Now onto the really old stuff. I'm breaking this into its own part because it's a different era and I feel I deserve more than one post for this shit. The commonality you'll notice with these is they tend to be beautifully animated as well as fucking insane.

Looney Tunes - 8 Ball Bunny (1950)

bugs-png.55525

It shouldn't come as much surprise that our man Bugs has rode. Trying to help a lost penguin get back home, they hop a box car and when another rider fucks with them, Bugs literally kicks his ass. Humphrey Bogart shows up every now then, successfully spanging Bugs.

Merrie Melodies - Hobo Gadget Band (1939)

gadgetband-png.55526

This one is hoboey as fuck, showing life in a cartoon jungle before the train comes and everyone hops out. They have a little hoedown in a boxcar before getting kicked off, and end up impressing a music industry bigwig who gives them the chance to sell out.

Boxcar Blues (1930)

This stars a little monkeyish dude named Bosko. it starts out with some jamming by Bosko and a stubbly pig and they end up having a pretty wild ride.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in "Hungry Hobos" (1928)

oswald-png.55524

Directed by Walt Disney himself, this one is old as shit and violent as fuck. Oswald and Pegleg Pete start out playing an unassuming game of checkers inbetween two cattle cars but shit gets ugly pretty quick. Cows get punched, asses get burned, and a crankshaft gets repurposed into a torture device. This cartoon disappeared prior to WW2 and just turned up again in 2011. Pretty crazy right?

The Hobo Hero (1935)

This one is kind of all over the place in style, featuring both cartoon insanity as well realistically drawn human beings. The hero saves a dog from being run over by his train, and its owner turns out to be a beautiful woman who invites him back to her parents place. Her father warns that she sleepwalks and is attracted to music, so naturally the hero and some other dude get into a musical competition to see who can lure her into bed. Also features offensive racial stereotypes.

Play Safe (1936)

playsafe-png.55527

As a closer, I'll leave you with this masterpiece from the Fleischer bros. A little kid goes from scamp to tramp when he climbs a train conveniently stopped behind his house, against the protests of his protective dog. This predictably goes badly and he ends up having a train-themed concussion dream featuring hybrid live action animation techniques. The ending is sure to warm all but the blackest of hearts. Of course in reality, the kid would be fucking dead.

For some reason that HD version doesn't have the part where he actually climbs the train, so here it is grainy but uncut:

That brings us to the end of our journey. If any of you can think of something that should be here but isn't, by all means post it. In the immortal words on Porky Pig...

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Coronavirus, Murder hornets, race riots...level 6 jumanji starts tonight
Well spanged up enough for a greyhound dipping this thursday thx! For the help!
My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!
I hate my fucking back. A combination of bank bullshit and now a strained or sprained back had kept me held up in Pennsylvania. Have a place to stay, but I'm pissed at life trying to keep me off the road!
Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle
Wheat2020 wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
I'mma cut to the chase: You don't call me what I consider to be a slur or insult, and I won't call you names.
You say I should love myself and have more self-confidence. You've got it all wrong. I love myself plenty, and I know for a fact that I am capable of doing incredible things, both good and evil.
You say fake it till you make it. I'm too honest for that. Instead I will have faith in myself, and act accordingly.
These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
llohnny