Featured 

Trainhopping in cartoons

For about as long as there have been cartoons, there have been cartoon hobos. Join me on a non-chronological journey through the ages of animation, wherein I pass on my strangely comprehensive knowledge of trainhopping cartoon characters. I'll start with the stuff from the modern era, and from there we'll take a trip back to the black and white glory days of both animation and hoboing.

The Simpsons
I'll kick it off with "Simpsons Tall Tales" (episode S12E21). An anthology episode, the whole family hops a UP box car and end up being serenaded with songs and classic folk tales courtesy of an admittedly filthy hobo.

Homer goes on to give the hobo a sponge bath as payment for his stories:

Classic. This actually wasn't the first time someone hopped a train on The Simpsons--in this clip from episode S3E24 "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?", Homer's half brother Herb, homeless and on the rails due to Homer's stupidity in episode S2E15, takes his time to hop that good ride. Homer then trips balls on a massage chair.

Full episodes:
The Simpsons Season 12 Episode 21 – Simpsons Tall Tales | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/the-simpsons-season-12-episode-21-simpsons-tall-tales-2
The Simpsons Episode 324 Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes? | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/the-simpsons-episode-324-brother-can-you-spare-two-dime-2

Ren and Stimpy
In episode S4E11 "Wiener Barons", the pair travel north to Canada trying to make it big in the wiener industry. Insanity ensues. No clips for this one, but here are some screencaps:

renandstimpy1-png.55518

renandstimpy2-png.55519

Full episode:

Family Guy
In episode S2E13 "Road to Rhode Island", Brian and Stewie travel across the country and end up performing a musical number in a box car. I personally consider Family Guy to be trash, but I'm not discriminating here and it's actually a decent episode.

Full episode:
Family Guy Season 2 Episode 13 Road to Rhode Island | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/family-guy-episode-20-road-to-rhode-island-2

Hey Arnold!
In episode 93a "On the Lam", Harold, Sid, and Stinky, thinking they blew up a police station, head to the train yard to try to ride down south. They don't actually end up going anywhere, but whatever, it makes the list.

giphy_s-gif.55521

I'll also mention episode 8b "Haunted Train". This is more of a general train episode, but it's a classic.

1-png.55522

Full episodes:
Hey Arnold! Season 5 Episode 8 – On the Lam | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/hey-arnold-season-5-episode-8-on-the-lam-2
Hey Arnold Season 1 Episode 8 – The List | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/hey-arnold-season-1-episode-8-the-list-2 (second part)

Catscratch
For the sake of completeness I have to include Catscratch episode 4b "Mr. Pickles". This show, about talking cats, is pure dogshit but the episode does have one decent line about riding the rails into oblivion.

catscratch-png.55520

Full episode (it sucks, don't watch it):

American Pop (1981)
Directed by Ralph Bakshi, American Pop is a flawed but great movie that follows a family of musicians from generation to generation, showcasing 100 years of American music. One character travels from NYC to the west coast, and ends up jamming with some hobos in a box car.

Full movie:
American Pop | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/american-pop

Bonus - An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991)
No actual hopping in this, but I think it deserves to be here.

-Part II-
Now onto the really old stuff. Rather than episodes, we're dealing with ~7 minute long shorts which (for those who don't know) were played in theaters before movies. The commonality you'll notice with these is they tend to be beautifully animated as well as fucking insane.

Looney Tunes - 8 Ball Bunny (1950)

bugs-png.55498

It shouldn't come as much surprise that our man Bugs has rode. Trying to help a lost penguin get back home, they hop a box car and when another rider fucks with them, Bugs literally kicks his ass. Humphrey Bogart shows up every now then, successfully spanging Bugs.

Merrie Melodies - Hobo Gadget Band (1939)

gadgetband-png.55497

This one is hoboey as fuck, showing life in a cartoon jungle before the train comes and everyone hops out. They have a little hoedown in a boxcar before getting kicked off, and end up impressing a music industry bigwig who offers them the chance to sell out.

Boxcar Blues (1930)
This stars a little monkeyish dude named Bosko. it starts out with some jamming by Bosko and a stubbly pig and they end up having a pretty wild ride.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in "Hungry Hobos" (1928)

oswald-png.56542

Directed by Walt Disney himself, this one is old as shit and violent as fuck. Oswald and Pegleg Pete start out playing an unassuming game of checkers inbetween two cattle cars but shit gets ugly pretty quick. Cows get punched, asses get burned, and a crankshaft gets repurposed into a torture device. This cartoon disappeared prior to WW2 and just turned up again in 2011. Pretty crazy right?

The Hobo Hero (1935)
This one is kind of all over the place in style, featuring both cartoon insanity as well as realistically drawn human beings. The hero saves a dog from being run over by his train, and its owner turns out to be a beautiful woman who invites him back to her parents place. Her father warns that she sleepwalks and is attracted to music, so naturally the hero and some other dude get into a musical competition to see who can lure her into bed. Also features offensive racial stereotypes.

Play Safe (1936)

playsafe-png.56544

As a closer, I'll leave you with this masterpiece from the Fleischer bros. A little kid goes from scamp to tramp when he climbs a train conveniently stopped behind his house, against the protests of his protective dog. This predictably goes badly and he ends up having a train-themed concussion dream featuring hybrid live action animation techniques. The ending is sure to warm all but the blackest of hearts. Of course in reality, the poor kid would be fucking dead.

For some reason that HD version doesn't have the part where he actually climbs the train, so here it is grainy but uncut:

Well, that brings us to the end of our journey. If any of you can think of something that should be here but isn't, by all means post it. And if you find any broken links please let me know and if I'm still alive I may fix them. In the immortal words on Porky Pig...

Last edited:
Spoiler: I'm not really a mongoose.
View all 1 featured items
OP
Mongoose2

Mongoose2

Pilgrim
This post was originally the second part of the article, but since it's now consolidated I'll just use this space to say thanks for the feature, and for the positive feedback!

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

superphoenix

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Incredible! And a serendipitous find right as I changed my profile pic lol. I'll let you know if I can think of any others. But it truly is a great American tradition.

For about as long as there have been cartoons, there have been cartoon hobos. Join me on a non-chronological journey through the ages of animation, wherein I pass on my strangely comprehensive knowledge of trainhopping cartoon characters. I'll start with the stuff from the modern era, and from there we'll take a trip back to the black and white glory days of both animation and hoboing.

The Simpsons
I'll kick it off with "Simpsons Tall Tales" (episode S12E21). An anthology episode, the whole family hops a UP box car and end up being serenaded with songs and classic folk tales courtesy of an admittedly filthy hobo.

Homer goes on to give the hobo a sponge bath as payment for his stories:

Classic. This actually wasn't the first time someone hopped a train on The Simpsons--in this clip from episode S3E24 "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?", Homer's half brother Herb, homeless and on the rails due to Homer's stupidity in episode S2E15, takes his time to hop that good ride. Homer then trips balls on a massage chair.

Full episodes:
The Simpsons Season 12 Episode 21 – Simpsons Tall Tales | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/the-simpsons-season-12-episode-21-simpsons-tall-tales-2
The Simpsons Episode 324 Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes? | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/the-simpsons-episode-324-brother-can-you-spare-two-dime-2

Ren and Stimpy
In episode S4E11 "Wiener Barons", the pair travel north to Canada trying to make it big in the wiener industry. Insanity ensues. No clips for this one, but here are some screencaps:

View attachment 55518

View attachment 55519

Full episode:

Family Guy
In episode S2E13 "Road to Rhode Island", Brian and Stewie travel across the country and end up performing a musical number in a box car. I personally consider Family Guy to be trash, but I'm not discriminating here and it's actually a decent episode.

Full episode:
Family Guy Season 2 Episode 13 Road to Rhode Island | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/family-guy-episode-20-road-to-rhode-island-2

Hey Arnold!
In episode 93a "On the Lam", Harold, Sid, and Stinky, thinking they blew up a police station, head to the train yard to try to ride down south. They don't actually end up going anywhere, but whatever, it makes the list.

View attachment 55521

I'll also mention episode 8b "Haunted Train". This is more of a general train episode, but it's a classic.

View attachment 55522

Full episodes:
Hey Arnold! Season 5 Episode 8 – On the Lam | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/hey-arnold-season-5-episode-8-on-the-lam-2
Hey Arnold Season 1 Episode 8 – The List | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/hey-arnold-season-1-episode-8-the-list-2 (second part)

Catscratch
For the sake of completeness I have to include Catscratch episode 4b "Mr. Pickles". This show, about talking cats, is pure dogshit but the episode does have one decent line about riding the rails into oblivion.

View attachment 55520

Full episode (it sucks, don't watch it):

American Pop (1981)
Directed by Ralph Bakshi, American Pop is a flawed but great movie that follows a family of musicians from generation to generation, showcasing 100 years of American music. One character travels from NYC to the west coast, and ends up jamming with some hobos in a box car.

Full movie:
American Pop | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime - https://www.wcostream.com/american-pop

Bonus - An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991)
No actual hopping in this, but I think it deserves to be here.

-Part II-
Now onto the really old stuff. Rather than episodes, we're dealing with ~7 minute long shorts which (for those who don't know) were played in theaters before movies. The commonality you'll notice with these is they tend to be beautifully animated as well as fucking insane.

Looney Tunes - 8 Ball Bunny (1950)

View attachment 55498

It shouldn't come as much surprise that our man Bugs has rode. Trying to help a lost penguin get back home, they hop a box car and when another rider fucks with them, Bugs literally kicks his ass. Humphrey Bogart shows up every now then, successfully spanging Bugs.

Merrie Melodies - Hobo Gadget Band (1939)

View attachment 55497

This one is hoboey as fuck, showing life in a cartoon jungle before the train comes and everyone hops out. They have a little hoedown in a boxcar before getting kicked off, and end up impressing a music industry bigwig who offers them the chance to sell out.

Boxcar Blues (1930)
This stars a little monkeyish dude named Bosko. it starts out with some jamming by Bosko and a stubbly pig and they end up having a pretty wild ride.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in "Hungry Hobos" (1928)

View attachment 56542

Directed by Walt Disney himself, this one is old as shit and violent as fuck. Oswald and Pegleg Pete start out playing an unassuming game of checkers inbetween two cattle cars but shit gets ugly pretty quick. Cows get punched, asses get burned, and a crankshaft gets repurposed into a torture device. This cartoon disappeared prior to WW2 and just turned up again in 2011. Pretty crazy right?

The Hobo Hero (1935)
This one is kind of all over the place in style, featuring both cartoon insanity as well as realistically drawn human beings. The hero saves a dog from being run over by his train, and its owner turns out to be a beautiful woman who invites him back to her parents place. Her father warns that she sleepwalks and is attracted to music, so naturally the hero and some other dude get into a musical competition to see who can lure her into bed. Also features offensive racial stereotypes.

Play Safe (1936)

View attachment 56544

As a closer, I'll leave you with this masterpiece from the Fleischer bros. A little kid goes from scamp to tramp when he climbs a train conveniently stopped behind his house, against the protests of his protective dog. This predictably goes badly and he ends up having a train-themed concussion dream featuring hybrid live action animation techniques. The ending is sure to warm all but the blackest of hearts. Of course in reality, the poor kid would be fucking dead.

For some reason that HD version doesn't have the part where he actually climbs the train, so here it is grainy but uncut:

Well, that brings us to the end of our journey. If any of you can think of something that should be here but isn't, by all means post it. And if you find any broken links please let me know and if I'm still alive I may fix them. In the immortal words on Porky Pig...

thank you for making something so cool

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
justanotherperson The lifestyle: How did you start out? Nomadic Culture 4