Train hopping in the future...! (1 Viewer)

Ace9133

Reaction score
Homebase
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey everyone! My name's Justin, but I prefer and go by Ace. I'm a fairly new vagabond, but I've been a railfan or "foamer" forever. I've decided to trainhop across the US. Why? 'Cause I don't feel like slaving away for "the man" at long hours and low pay when I can just hop freight and intermodal. I won't be one of those assholes to always ask "WhErE cAn I cAtCh OuT HuR DuR" 'cause I'm fairly versed with which trains go where at what time and so forth. I live in Cincinnati Ohio, and things are starting to get chilly here, so I'm hoping to catch out to Arizona or Cali before riding becomes extremely cold.
Welp, enough about that! I'm gonna go browse the forum(s) and get my post count up a little bit so I can explore the train-hopping forum and hopefully gain a little more insight than what I already have.

Happy trails all, and stay safe!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
D

Deleted member 23824

I closed my account
Welcome to StP.I would recommend you stay put till spring, saving every penny you can twixt now and then. Leaving now, you are gonna need some good cold weather gear.

But what I wanna know is what the hell is “hur dur”?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Homebase
Dick City California
Website
youtu.be
Welcome to StP.I would recommend you stay put till spring, saving every penny you can twixt now and then. Leaving now, you are gonna need some good cold weather gear.

Hurr durr, hur dur, herpaderp, derp, and various similar spellings more or less mean;

The imitation of the vocal sound made by a person with severe developmental disabilities. Used to mock perceived ignorance or stupidity.

It's probably something that should be thrown in the waste basket like we did with "retard, retarded" etc. It's kind of worse really. At least the word "retard" has other uses/connotations and has been used for numerous decades without any sort of mocking of people with disabilities.. like setting your distributor to advanced or retarded. Retarded meaning to slow. Whereas "hurr durr" is straight up just mocking the sounds a person with disabilities might exhibit.

D

Deleted member 23824

I closed my account
Hurr durr, hur dur, herpaderp, derp, and various similar spellings more or less mean;

The imitation of the vocal sound made by a person with severe developmental disabilities. Used to mock perceived ignorance or stupidity.

It's probably something that should be thrown in the waste basket like we did with "retard, retarded" etc. It's kind of worse really. At least the word "retard" has other uses/connotations and has been used for numerous decades without any sort of mocking of people with disabilities.. like setting your distributor to advanced or retarded. Retarded meaning to slow. Whereas "hurr durr" is straight up just mocking the sounds a person with disabilities might exhibit.
Guess I should have known. My sons sometimes refer to me as a “Big Bag of Duuuhh”, rightfully so I guess.

You are right about not using those kinds of terms. I worked with a young guy I really liked and respected, we got along great, and were always good naturedly hammering each other, as guys often do, whenever we made stupid mistakes. That’s often, for me. And I did use to call him a retard from time to time, till one day, he simply asked me not to, as he had a special-needs son. I had never really considered it before, just part of jabbing others, but he was right. I have tried to dial that stuff back, not always easy to remember, because us men are frequently insensitive bastards. We can all do better .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace9133

Reaction score
Homebase
Cincinnati, Ohio
Welcome to STP. its a great community here. Have you done any traveling before?
Only traveling I've done is locally to the states of Ohio and Indiana on trains just getting a feel for hopping by taking quickly terminating trains; usually one day trips when I'm back home late evening to early morning.

Ace9133

Reaction score
Homebase
Cincinnati, Ohio

I have a nice heavy Army coat among various flannel shirts. I'm freaked out by traveling in cold weather, but I feel like I'd be safe either way with the gear I do have. Thanks for the tips!

Ace9133

Reaction score
Homebase
Cincinnati, Ohio

Quick disclaimer, I want to make it clear that in no way did I use Hur Dur as an insult towards those with mental disabilities. I mainly use it neutrally and very loosely. If I have offended anyone, my apologies. I'll try not to use it in the future!

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Homebase
Dick City California
Website
youtu.be
I don't think anyone was offended. I was more or less thinking out loud and typing my thoughts. Like I basically just set out to explain what it meant to Faceplant. Then when I googled it to make sure it meant what I thought it meant I found that definition and I was like dang, that's kinda harsh sounding. Maybe we should toss that one out or something. I wasn't necessarily trying to call you out for using it. Don't even trip, you're good. I still fuck up and say retarded sometimes. It just happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.