Train-hitching/boat-hitching in Russia

stove

Reaction score
I'm putting this under the “other forms of travel” section for a reason: it's not Train-hopping as we know it in the US. In Siberia, it is apparently common and easy (and ALLOWED) to hitch-hiking on cargo ships and freight trains, in the unit. Trains are not manifested ahead of time, but instead are done on a day-to-day basis (CHAOS?!). This means that you show up at the 'yard' (really only a load/unload with a siding or two), and ask the workers or security for the engineer/brakeman lounge. Sometmes the security will hassle you, but if you simply explain that you are a traveler, it's totally allowed! So, ask around, find a train going your way, find out when it leaves, and ask if you can hop on. You ride in the unit, which while heated (Siberia is fucking cold), has no toilet, so don't drink too much, and take a pregame dump. Ride to where you're going, simple as that! Also, every yard has a cafe for the workers, and food is apparently wicked cheap.
Boat-hitching is apparently similar. Ask around, get permission, get on, and go! The only significant problem would be the language barrier, but people are absolutely THRILLED to meet travelers, especially ones from foreign lands (remember, Russia is HUGE).
Additionally, it's possible to stay for a night at monasteries all over Russia. If you want to stay longer, they will usually ask you to help out with chores. I REALLY want to try this!
This type of boat-hitching is also possible in Germany and to some extent France, and a lot of freight moves through the canals instead of on rail lines. My buddy Julien has done this a few times, and although a painfully slow way to travel (5-10km/hr, or 3-7MPH), it sounds pretty fucking cool. Stand at the locks, use the intercom to talk to someone on the cargo ship, get permission, and all aboard matey! Seriously, it's that easy. And apparently the boats have mini-motels on them, with a kitchen, shower, and usually they've got spare rooms. So if you do get invited on board, you're freaking SET.
I've also got some info on boat-hitching long distance, but I'll put that in another post.

Samuel

Reaction score
Website
www.confusicus.com
Awesome, thanx for the tips. I'm entering Russia 16th of September, and was going to do the Transsiberian - but if I'm able to combine with some rail-hiking, I will absolutely try this out!

Would help to find out what engineer/brakeman lounge was in russian though ;)

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Awesome, thanx for the tips. I'm entering Russia 16th of September, and was going to do the Transsiberian - but if I'm able to combine with some rail-hiking, I will absolutely try this out!

Would help to find out what engineer/brakeman lounge was in russian though ;)

If you try this, let us know how it works out or what problems you met.

I crossed Russia last year, but I only had 14 days on my visa so I couldn't screw around. It's one of the harder countries to communicate, if you don't speak a little Russian. They get impatient with pantomime and phrase books. A lot like Americans are with people who don't speak any English.

When I met somebody who spoke English, I got in the habit of asking them to write down anything I thought I might need to say in the next day or two, like where I was going and what I needed. Then I could just show this to people. If I were going to try to get a ride on the freights, I'd probably find a Russian to write it all out for me. It can save you having to "talk" with the soldiers.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
is there any possible way to get a longer visa than 14 days?

They issue tourist visas for up to 30 days if you need it, but 14 seems to be the default. I was getting mine at the last minute at the Russian Embassy in Hong Kong, so I wanted to keep everything as simple as possible or I figured I'd be denied. (I ordered my letter of invitation online from one of the russian visa services).

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Also if you're going to Russia, spend a little time and figure out their alphabet. It's not that hard and it saved my ass a couple times.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads