TOTALLY spanged without meaning to!

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
So my boyfriend and I strapped our gear on our backs and set out on a trek yesterday. Didn't quite make our goal for a variety of reasons I won't get into right now, but we had a great time.

On the way back, we stopped at a Dollar General to pick up some water and a few other things, intending to continue along a different path. We come back out, distribute the load, and just kind of sit down next to our packs, gathering the strength and courage to shoulder them again and go on our way.

"We look like home bums," I say as we sit.
"We totally do! "he replies.

Less than five minutes later, this woman comes out of the store.

" You like tuna and crackers? "she asks, and proceeds to take out two pouches of tuna (thank you for thinking smart, ma'am, though we did have can openers) and a box of Entertainment crackers.

" Yes ma'am! " we say, reaching for the goods. As she hands it over, I realize she's also giving us a $5 bill!

"Thank you! God bless you! Happy Memorial Day!" we say, both grateful and somewhat amused. We're amused in part because of she'd been paying attention she might've realised we were sporting some pretty nice gear for bums!

And that is how we spanged for the first time without even trying.

God bless the generous in spirit!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice!!!!

Reactions: Jaguwar

angerisagift

Reaction score
yeah i like RAK and paying it 4ward like when i was homeless in Loveland and Florida had a few ppl just hand me/ask me if i needed anything. kind of y i am in Greeley now. i was in need of some boots and looking to barter labor like moving shit/yard work/etc and they just invited me to live with them, so i house/pet sit/take care of the yard/house and babysit their son etc etc

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
this happens to me all the time when have my pack with me. I won't even be busking/spanging....just sitting there with my gear outside of a store and someone will come up to ask where I'm going and kick down some money/beer/whatevs. I also knew a guy that would strap his cardboard sign to the outside of his pack while he walked along the highway/town. it read something like "traveling. food and hugs appreciated". I think he seemed to do well with that tactic

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
Nice one! Impromptu spanges are great and youll get them pretty often. My wife got offered a plane ticket in Walgreens, however that day was booked up. If anyone can beat that'n I wanna hear it.

@iamwhatiam I had my sign clipped to my pack today and a restaurant owners took me to his place and hooked it up. It works.

Reactions: Mankini and Jaguwar

angerisagift

Reaction score
Nice one! Impromptu spanges are great and youll get them pretty often. My wife got offered a plane ticket in Walgreens, however that day was booked up. If anyone can beat that'n I wanna hear it.

@iamwhatiam I had my sign clipped to my pack today and a restaurant owners took me to his place and hooked it up. It works.
well when i use to playing poker online on PurePlay . i got a roundtrip plane tix from Melbourne,Fl to Montgomery,AL and back. it was cool hungout for almost a week saw Hank Williams Grave and stuff. then 4 christmas she got me this Samsung notebook, so i could b mobile and not have to use library computers.product plug Samsung products r like the Timex of electronics.imo. hot/humid/rain in Florida to freezing temps in Colorado and it is still kicking

Reactions: Jaguwar

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
Now that's a spange.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads