Tony Longshanks says hello

tony longshanks

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Hello fellow squatters & misfit travelers! Tony Longshanks here, currently in Portland, Oregon, soon to set forth on a journey by foot into Washington state.

I believe I've been looking for a site of this general description for a while now. A friend of mine from the Slingshot (newspaper, based in Berkeley) referred me here. I'm trying to kick my unwholesome addiction to Facebook & replace it with alternatives, in both senses.

While living in San Francisco in 2011 I became houseless for the first time, & was introduced to the world of squatting & life outside the capitalist drone plan courtesy of Occupy Wall Street & Homes Not Jails. It came as nothing short of a life-transforming revelation, & I never looked back at my old life of scrambling to make rent & spending all my energy as a wage slave. I haven't paid a penny of rent since mid-2011 (something I'm rather proud of) & have continued squatting, camping, & slumming it in various creative ways ever since!

My zine SF Resistor goes into detail about all this, but I won't post a link yet, since I'm still being vetted as potential spam.

For my second post I'm going to share a piece about my recently deceased friend Michael Clift, concerning a squat I briefly shared with him in SF in 2013.

I'm also hoping to hook up with some cool people in Washington state---in Oly (where I used to go to school), or Tacoma, or Seattle (my intended destination)---when I begin my hike up there next month (April 2016). The next phase of my life is open to all possibilities & I'd like to find some kind of community to plug into.

I'll keep it there for now. Please to meet y'all

Attachments

• 422753_4169734915901_1824480249_n.jpg
    422753_4169734915901_1824480249_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: Vulture and wizehop

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP and look forward to your future input :) Where else have you been spending your time on the internet with the squatting type community?

tony longshanks

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I'm just now trying to find the squatting community on the internet, actually! I've used Facebook too much for years now, & recently started my own blog on Tumblr, Fr33kland, the whole concept of which is life outside the typical rent-paying model, but I feel like I'm just talking to myself on there a lot. So this is a good start. If you have other suggestions I'm happy to hear 'em!

Reactions: Brother X

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
My zine SF Resistor goes into detail about all this, but I won't post a link yet, since I'm still being vetted as potential spam.

feel free to add your zine to our file library if you like :)

also, why did the evergreener cross the road?

Mr Nemo

Reaction score
Awesome man, I've got my first "squat" set up for the summer and fall, after that looking to do like you and be rent free from now on...I think it's cool your travelling on foot too. Would love to see that zine of yours !

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads