To greyhound or not to greyhound?

Current Location
Spring Lakes
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
That is the question?

I'm trying to get from FL to MO to ND. I'm considering Greyhound. I recently read about them stranding a bunch of people in the northern states. I'm curious if anyone traveling along the south and midwest has had any troubles with greyhound as of late?

Current Location
Martinez GA, USA
Website
goombaslayer.deviantart.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I've heard about drivers straight up refusing to work anymore and abandoning the schedule. I've ridden greyhound alot, pretty much have lost count and have personally never been abandoned, though have delt with some pretty rough situations. You might be able to megabus alot of that route which would probably be better.
Greyhound is brutal but divine. You're pretty much guaranteed a shit time but there's a sort of magic to it. Id say go for it

Current Location
outside omaha
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
  • Dmac

Dmac

Use the search feature, there are a lot of threads on greyhound

ToadStuff

Rambler
StP Supporter
Current Location
Marysville, Wa
Reactions
95% 2% 3%
I only use it if I'm in a shitty spot thats hard to hitch or just tired of hitchin. Amtrak is alot more comfy and they sell snacks and beer.

Current Location
East Bay
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
A few years back I was stranded in Wyoming. They changed drop offs and rest stop info that wasn't quite synced up to their website. So there was confusion among passengers. I wasn't the only one. We had to spend the night at a truck stop, then they radioed ahead to make sure there was even room for us on the bus that would pick us up. We eventually got to Denver, but that area of travel is iffy. Be sure of where the transfer, dropoff and rest stops are at. Greyhound on the coasts are good, but watch out for their service in rural type states.

Current Location
Asheville, NC
Reactions
97% 3% 0%
I missed the bus once, had to pay $20 for reissue of my ticket and the next bus was 12 hours later. It overheated and turned around. 7 more hours of waiting. Did get a $7 food voucher and a $50 travel voucher, my $20 refunded. Main thing is don't be in a hurry and complain if something happens. You can call customer service and they can help too. But it really sucks travelling sometimes.

OP
OP
Dorkimus Prime
Current Location
Spring Lakes
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I've heard about drivers straight up refusing to work anymore and abandoning the schedule. I've ridden greyhound alot, pretty much have lost count and have personally never been abandoned, though have delt with some pretty rough situations. You might be able to megabus alot of that route which would probably be better.
Greyhound is brutal but divine. You're pretty much guaranteed a shit time but there's a sort of magic to it. Id say go for it
I checked the mega bus schedule and it comes to a lot more because of the multiple buses it takes to get there. They don't have any direct routes.

Unfortunately I can't by my tickets in advanced because I don't have a reliable ride to Jax. I have to purchase them the day of leaving. I had a camping spot a long time ago out in Jax but it was tore down to build some apartments.

I only use it if I'm in a shitty spot thats hard to hitch or just tired of hitchin. Amtrak is alot more comfy and they sell snacks and beer.
I haven't thought about amtrak. I'll look into them. It's too hot for me to hitch right now so it's the bus or hope I get a direct ride.

Current Location
Minneapolis, MN, United States
Website
youjostravels.weebly.com
Reactions
90% 3% 6%
Most of my experiences with Greyhound have been great, so I suggest going for it, if you're thinking about it! You'll do better to get a morning bus or a night bus, if possible. It's usual easy to get to the south, but any direction can have issues due to weather. I've heard horror stories, but none of them have happened to me.

Current Location
San Francisco
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
That is the question?

I'm trying to get from FL to MO to ND. I'm considering Greyhound. I recently read about them stranding a bunch of people in the northern states. I'm curious if anyone traveling along the south and midwest has had any troubles with greyhound as of late?

I gotta say my exps in greyhound have SUCKED. Their only motive is to suck as much cash as they friggin can...my advice, if you ABSOLUTLY HAVE TO RIDE THE GREY RAT, is to buy a ticket for the next stop, then keep ridin past it to yr destination, or as close as you can till they kick you off....they don't much check tickets once yre on. I've done this a couple times no prob. On the flip side, DON'T EVER LOSE YR TICLET, or even misplace it for a minute, they'll make you buy a new one full cost (even tho you KNOW its in the computer) the FOKERS!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Albany NY
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I haven't had too many issues with Megabus or Greyhound, and I've used both quite a lot.

Only major issue I had with Dirty Dog (greyhound) was one specific time in Jacksonville a few months ago where they overbooked the bus back to Miami...we were in line to get on the bus and there were about 8 of us left in line when the driver goes "okay, that's it, the bus is full!" and we were like "whaaaaat?"

They ended up giving up $10 food vouchers and luckily, that bus station is brand new and was really nice and air conditioned. But they were really hush hush with what was going on/how long it was going to be until there was another bus/etc. We had to just keep going up and asking and being really vocal about wondering what was going on cause they weren't letting us know. After 5 or 6 hours, another bus came for us.

So yea just don't be in a rush. And if you do end up doing Megabus and have to take multiple buses, make sure you have PLENTY of time between transfers in case of traffic, etc. cause they won't wait for you/refund you if you miss your next bus!

Current Location
San Francisco
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
I checked the mega bus schedule and it comes to a lot more because of the multiple buses it takes to get there. They don't have any direct routes.

Unfortunately I can't by my tickets in advanced because I don't have a reliable ride to Jax. I have to purchase them the day of leaving. I had a camping spot a long time ago out in Jax but it was tore down to build some apartments.

I haven't thought about amtrak. I'll look into them. It's too hot for me to hitch right now so it's the bus or hope I get a direct ride.

Ya ditto AMTRACK... ya I know it breaks a lot of hardline hoborules, but after days/weeks hitching or hoppin trains, its friggin cozy, and not as expensive as you might think, from SF to Yosemeti they actually beat greyrats price. You need pic ID tho!

OP
OP
Dorkimus Prime
Current Location
Spring Lakes
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Ya ditto AMTRACK... ya I know it breaks a lot of hardline hoborules, but after days/weeks hitching or hoppin trains, its friggin cozy, and not as expensive as you might think, from SF to Yosemeti they actually beat greyrats price. You need pic ID tho!
I checked them, from Jax to St. Louis was around $700. All it said they had available was first class so I don't know if anything else cheaper is out there. Greyhound is looking to be the cheapest option unless I can catch a ride. It's too hot out for me to hitch. I wish I had left 3 months ago like I wanted to.

Coywolf

Craving Freedom
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Scamtrack>Greuhound any day.

I've had absolutely horrid experiences on greyhound. Including watching someone get.robbed on the bus, a driver stranding me in Vegas because I "smelt like alcohol" and then them teling.me I had to buy a new 200 dollar ticket to continue my.trip.

They overbook buses all the time. They wont allow disabled people on the bus (with a purchased ticket) if there isint room for their wheelchair.

That company is fucked up, only give them money if you absolutely have to