Tips for winter squatting?

janktoaster

Reaction score
Seems like I may be squatting in the wilds of Massachusetts this winter. The house is in good condition, but I've lived through Massachusetts winters and now how cruel they can be. I've also never squatted a place long term, or really even more than a night...

So, any hints, tricks, or tips? I know about layers and all that, but I want some advice from people who've done it! Thanks y'all

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
removed the resouces tab since this doesn't have any in it...

Reactions: janktoaster

janktoaster

Reaction score
My bad, I thought it meant I was searching for resources.... sorry, I'm stoned

• Haha
Reactions: EphemeralStick

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Having squatted a few houses over winter times your best bet is to keep one room warm. Its impossible to keep a whole house at a habitable temperature in winter. So if you can get one room comfortable sleep/live in that one room. Spend all your efforts on making that one place warm. cling film (saran wrap!) over windows acts as secondary glazing. hang blankets over windows to keep drafts out, do the same on doors.

Don't get your clothes wet if you can help it because getting them dry in a cold house is hard and will create dampness which is shit to live in. Also, the more people in a room the warmer it gets so if you can get other people to stay that helps.

It kind of goes without saying but be really careful if you are having fires/lighting candles in your sleeping area. Carbon Monoxide kills and obviously fires do too.

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Aww man I've never done along term winter squat, wish I could join you. Anyways here's a few tricks I've come across, get a bunch of emergency blankets and cover the floors, doors, windows, etc. Paint can with a roll of TP in it (cardboard removed) doused in a fuel source, is an awesome space heater and lasts awhile. Like they said above lots of blankets, movers blankets are great, sleeping bags, shit I've even set a tent up in a room and covered that ha. Oh a dog or a partner are great heat sources as well. Lol Good Luck!

• Useful
Reactions: OstrichJockey

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Idk just kick open a window, or bust a hole through the wall and make your own vent out of some air duct metal or laundry room dryer hose.

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Fuel I.e. isopropyle alcohol or antifreeze just enough to dampen the TP. It's really not all that dangerous. I've used it many times. You use the paint can top or a cast iron pan to smother it out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads