1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for landing seasonal jobs?

Discussion in 'Making A Living' started by iflewoverthecuckoosnest, Apr 19, 2017.

1. iflewoverthecuckoosnest

iflewoverthecuckoosnest Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Farmie Vagabond Goat Tamer
    Address:
    Florence, SC, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +602 / -4
    Hey, guys and gals. So I am now in a relationship with a dirty-kid-turned-trucker, which is great, but I really feel compelled to get involved in some of the political and social resistence taking place around the country right now. I think that getting a temporary job and saving up for a vehicle again would be a perfect way to balance my relationship with these goals. I could feed hungry folks, take part in anti-fascist demonstrations, volunteer at women's clinics or domestic violence shelters, etc., then go meet up with my male whenever it was needed.

So, how do I best present myself as a job candidate? As a somewhat aimless wanderer, I definitely have gaps on my resume. I have lots of volunteer work WWOOFING, though, and jobs that I worked short term in my hometown so I could travel on my savings/tax returns. Plus my folks will let me use their address on applications.

What are your tips for explaining yourself to potential employers? How do you get jobs as a houseless person? It seems like saying, "yeah, I hitch hiked across the country and now I want a job so I can fight the inequalities of the current world order, pls" will not be very employer pleasing, haha.

Any experiences or tips would be awesome.

2. Beegod Santana

Beegod Santana STP Homebum

Achievements:
    New-Age Migrant Worker
    Address:
    Atlanta, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +454 / -22
    Show up in person, be awake and sober at 6am and give off a "I'll work my ass off" vibe. Depending on the job showing up with a pack or a van is expected. Blueberries in Maine, cranberries in Massachusetts, beets in North Dakota, Apples in Washington and weed in Cali are all harvests where they rely on a certain population of dirty kids showing up. Going to a local employment office can help sometimes, but in my experience the best way to get work is to show up wherever the farmers shop for essentials and talk to people early in the morning. I heard there was thousands of unfilled jobs in Georgia and North Carolina this last fall and as a result tons and tons of food rotted in the fields.

• Useful Useful x 4
  3. OP
    OP
    iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +602 / -4
    Awesome. I will definitely check that out :). I love working outdoors, and I've heard that those gigs can be pretty profitable.

4. Beegod Santana

Beegod Santana STP Homebum

Achievements:
    New-Age Migrant Worker
    Address:
    Atlanta, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +454 / -22
    It varies greatly on experience and location but most harvest gigs will get you anywhere from $1500-$10,000. Most "I made 5 grand in a week and a half" stories you hear are bullshit, but if you get quick and work the whole harvest start to finish you can potentially make upwards of $10k at any of the gigs I just listed off. It's once again really up to you. In my experience most people rage out for a week or two, then start taking days off and get lazy and take off after they've got a grand or two in their pocket. It's all about keeping your eye on the prize.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +602 / -4
    Great information. Thank you :).

6. DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY Sir Posts a Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Aged, Sage-like Enginerd
    Address:
    Gang Mills, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +225 / -2
    The best thing to do is to list out everything for the last 2-5 years for yourself: Jobs that you've had, WWOOFing experiences, volunteering gigs, traveling, etc. Then create some kind of CV or resume that you can use to fill out applications and have available for employers.

People don't necessarily care about gaps in employment that much as long as they see that you weren't just sitting around. Volunteer work goes a long way to show that you are willing to work for rewards other than money. Plus, it shows that you are motivated to do something.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,889 / -50
    if you're interested in 'seasonal' work and not a regular job, they're really not going to care all that much what your work history is as long as you have some. i'm actually writing a big old chapter about jobs and job resources in my book, so here's some quick links.

coolworks.com - national parks jobs
    backdoorjobs.com - conservation jobs
    workamper.org - be a campsite host
    http://www.wanderingearl.com/how-to-get-a-job-on-board-cruise-ships/ - how to get a job on a cruise ship
    http://jalr.org/ - drug studies (aka lab rat)
    http://amazondelivers.jobs/about/camperforce/ - work for amazon for the winter in their distro warehouse, make a lot of money quick, hard work tho

• Useful Useful x 5
  8. THE REAL SCAVENGER

THE REAL SCAVENGER Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    dumpster king
    Address:
    Eugene, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +88 / -1
    over the winter, i worked at brundage mountain ski resort. i put in an application, they called me, and then asked about what my work experience was and if i've worked outside. i told them that i have lived outside and i don't mind the cold. i got hired on the spot

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Jone

Jone Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    portrait painter, solo singer
    Address:
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +54 / -1
    I was in the outter banks, north carolina, at the beginning of april, and everywhere was hiring. I got an offer for a great job doing wild horse tours. Most of the places there will house your. March/april they hire for a four month season. With tips, there is a lot of money to be made, just, always, use judgment an never heaitate to walk away. Yeah summer aeason outter banka is a thing. Good luck. Im sure other popular beach communities might be similar, needing extra help for thier tourist season. Good luck!!

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Ari Masen

Ari Masen Just signed up

Achievements:
    Address:
    Minneapolis, MN, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    I have worked a couple of seasonal hospitality jobs that I found on coolworks.com, a site Matt mentioned above. It's a real mixed bag. My only advice would be to avoid the really big employers like Xanterra, Delaware North, and Aramark. The smaller, mom and pop establishments are more likely to treat you like a human being and less like fodder for the capitalist machine. Otherwise, it seems like many places are desperate for people willing and able to be (relatively) sober enough to go to work on time and be somewhat productive. This seems more true in the national parks concessions. I'm talking about hospitality jobs, here, but I'm no expert. Good luck! I'm heading to a summer gig in Maine, soon, myself!

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +602 / -4
    Thanks, everyone! I've got my resume all freshened up and greatly appreciate the tips.

I'm sure I'll land something :).

12. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,889 / -50
    i agree, xanterra i've heard is especially bad; i worked for delaware north companies, and while the job itself was great, the corporate bs was really annoying, especially regarding living situations.

13. Babo

Babo is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    I've never heard of seasonal jobs in N.C. , any specific companys that would be good to check out?