Time

timetoleave

Reaction score
Some people are born to roam. Some people come to it by choice or circumstance. I fall into the latter category. I've tried time and again to play the game. For a long time I thought that's what I wanted. A job, a fixed address, weekly paychecks and all the wonderful mundane trappings of society in a first world country. The problem is I'm just fucking terrible at it.

Every new dead end job was my ticket to the good life. So it was for two or three years until I realized I wasn't traveling to find work or start over, I was traveling because wandering around and scrounging by on the fringes of the society I thought I wanted to join was what I was really good at. I took stock of everything I had seen. I had crossed from one coast to the other twice and from north to south once. I'd seen more than most of the people I thought I wanted to be friends with would ever see. If I was religious I would call it a revelation.

So I made traveling my profession. The stuff I do to make sure I can eat or repair my car is second to getting to the next destination. Seeing the next thing. As I rolled into my thirty second year on this earth I realized how much time had already slipped by. I want to use the time I have remaining to meet more unique and interesting people. I want to build shit in the desert. I want to go live on a beach in Washington state. And I will. Because I'm a traveler. Everyone gets some gifts. I guess mine is moving on. Not having roots is true freedom.

And it's all about the freedom.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads