Time ring | Squat the Planet

Time ring

farmer john

Reaction score
ever seem like your waiting for a train thats never gunna come ?
ever run out of literature?
ever just feel like not talking to any1?
wanna annoy the hell out of some1?
if you answered yes to anay of the above then continue reading

this is how to make a really badass ring out of a quarter
first a bit of background on quarters they are currently made out of copper and nickel but they used to be made out of silver so if you want a shiny copper ring grab any old quarter but if you want a swanky huggy bear ring get a quarter from 1964 or earlier

now how to make the ring get a spoon and tap the quarter on the edge then do it for another hour
by now you will begin to see a difference and know that farmer john wasnt just bsing you
do it another 7 hours and youll begin to feel like your accomplishing something now keep doing it till you have a desired width thickness ratio
here comes the rocket scientist part now you have to remove the center theres 4 options of how to do this
1 is to just take a pocket knife and carefully cut the center out + a knife is handy and you can say you made it with no tools - less precise and more inclined to fuck it up not as professional unless you really take your time and are great with the knife and its not that good for the knife
2 is to get a drill and carefullyu drilol out the center then file off excess untill its perfect + quick easy simple and good results - if not carefull can pinch quarter in vise deforming ring and not very many people carry around a drill
3 is to get a jewlers saw and cut it out + very precise best results- blades and a saw cost $
4 is to take it somewhere and have the center taken out + its done - you didnt do the whole thing yourself you had to pay $ they might fuck it up and then its not diy its colab

next step is to grab some brasso and polish it up
finally put it on and show the world

oh some ppl with bigger fingers may need to use a halfdollar or sacajewea coin

some links below

Coin Ring - Hacked Gadgets - DIY Tech Blog

What to do with your new ring?

enjoy :cheers:

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Making one right now, got a good shape going in less than 30 mins

For train riders near the tracks, you could concievebly use a railspike to make one of these.

WindWalker1970

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, but damn 8 hours?

I'd rather swipe one from Wally-World or such than work on a ring all day.

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well, after about an hour of hammering, I got the size about right. I've been drilling it to make a hole in the center, then progressively make the hole bigger. It isn't too hard, but damn, unless you have a silver quarter, it could take a while. Nickel is a tough-as-hell metal!

farmer john

Reaction score
Making one right now, got a good shape going in less than 30 mins

For train riders near the tracks, you could concievebly use a railspike to make one of these.

a spike would work could get heavy on the wrist though

i forgot 2 add it goes exponetionaly faster if you heat the quarter up red hot then plunge it into a cup of water (annealing it)

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well, I used a small cross peen hammer for mine, and used a spoon near the end. It shined up quite well. Once I get finished I'll post a pic or two.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Quick note on working a coin into a ring.Hammering metal tends to introduce stresses(workhardening) into the metal.These stresses maket the metal harder,and can get to the point where the metal is so hard that it becomes brittle and crack/shatters.For non ferrous metals like copper,silver,nickle,brass and bronze,the best way to deal with this is to heat the metal until you see a change in the surface color(annealing,look online for a color chart that shows the color shift/temperature),and unlike steel,drop it into cold water.It comes out so soft that you have to be carefull and not hit it too hard,or you will deform the ring.As you work it ,the metal re-hardens from hitting it,so you may have to do the annealing process a couple of times.Best coins (U.S.) for a project like this are pre-1964 quarters(90% silver).Made a few,and if you are careful you can save stuff like the date and parts of the lettering on the inside of the ring!

farmer john

Reaction score
awww shucks it was nothing lol

plagueship

Reaction score
fucking neat!
i met some hippie once that would smash pennies on the train tracks and then hammer designs into them with a nail and make little amulets and shit.
this also reminds me of the classic making a bracelet out of a cool old fork or whatever

K

Kim Chee

This thread was written awhile back and I don't think it got the attention it deserved (perhaps the title wasn't that interesting or descriptive).

I'm off the road, but if you're like me and don't have any buskworthy talent, how about making some jewelry in all that spare time you have?

I came across this video tonight and remembered this thread:

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Some one recently told me about this and made it out to be some easy thing that I could do with the bullshit I carry around in my pack. Well obviously I don't carry a drill or a metal ring mandrel around.. I do have a plastic mandrel tho. Anyways good to know, a good refresher and clarification on an old topic.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads