!This is the greatest!

guttergirl

Reaction score
Honestly I'm so thrilled to have found this website! I've been trying to find something like this for quite awhile. I've been mostly stable the past few years, just a few short hitchhiking trips around my state (az) here and there. im planning on heading to alaska this summer to work on a fish cannery, any tips? my method of transportation is already taken care of im more curious how it is actually working there?

Reactions: Vulture and wizehop

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i know there's some folks that have been out there on here, might take them a while to see this though, maybe you should post a separate question thread in the making a living section.

awesome profile pic by the way :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
also, @Travellingmelody is in AZ. dunno if she's looking for someone to travel with, but it might be worth saying hi ::drinkingbuddy::

Reactions: guttergirl

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
It sucks really. monotonous work all day long every day, when the fish are in. you'll be working with a lot of filipinos and mexicans and more often than not, the supervisors can be assholes. most people quit within the first few weeks....such a high turnover rate, so ur often seen as just another number....expendable. that being said, you'll meet people from all over the world...even other traveler types, and you have the chance to rack in the dough from overtime hours. just dont get drunk every night and show up to work hungover, or u wont last long. sleep is the most precious thing. bring thermals to wear, clothes u dont mind being permanently stained and impregnated with fish stink, and dont forget to bringpack flip flops for use when u take a shower. get those padded scholls implants for yer boots and good idea 2 bring ducktape as well cause u never know when you'll get a tear or rip in your raingear......good luck

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice intro :) Yeah do some searching on the traveling stuff - I've been using Railroadron's input lately for people asking questions about alaska fishing/canning - but definitely do some other searching on the other forums we have here as well.

This is Ron's input. He may or may not be headed there now, think he's in CA atm, but there is another that I think is heading there but not to work fishing.

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/work-in-alaska.22261/

• Useful
Reactions: guttergirl

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
Ive heard about the cannery jobs during the season, never done it, How did you go about getting into that? I heard about some companies paying for your flight out to the elusian islands from Seattle, is that where the cannery your going to is?, the island,,n I'm already sure I misspelled the name

guttergirl

Reaction score
It sucks really. monotonous work all day long every day, when the fish are in. you'll be working with a lot of filipinos and mexicans and more often than not, the supervisors can be assholes. most people quit within the first few weeks....such a high turnover rate, so ur often seen as just another number....expendable. that being said, you'll meet people from all over the world...even other traveler types, and you have the chance to rack in the dough from overtime hours. just dont get drunk every night and show up to work hungover, or u wont last long. sleep is the most precious thing. bring thermals to wear, clothes u dont mind being permanently stained and impregnated with fish stink, and dont forget to bringpack flip flops for use when u take a shower. get those padded scholls implants for yer boots and good idea 2 bring ducktape as well cause u never know when you'll get a tear or rip in your raingear......good luck

Thanks for the info my dude!!! I think I can hack it, I'm gonna at least try! :)

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Ive heard about the cannery jobs during the season, never done it, How did you go about getting into that? I heard about some companies paying for your flight out to the elusian islands from Seattle, is that where the cannery your going to is?, the island,,n I'm already sure I misspelled the name
It's called the aleutian I

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads