DrewSTNY

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
Just because it's become a rule, not everyone may see it. I'm pretty guilty of not reading "READ ME FIRST" threads. Should there be a sticky head lining do not post personal ads here? Just thinking out loud.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Wait ... so you are not pudgy, prone to sprawled on the floor and prefer furry clothing and looking for same companionship with a bit of tuna involved? Damn. ;)

P

Popsicle

I deleted myself
Wait ... so you are not pudgy, prone to sprawled on the floor and prefer furry clothing and looking for same companionship with a bit of tuna involved? Damn. ;)
Lmao I am inclined and guilty of it myself

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%

I just woke up on the floor! ! ::cat::

Tuna sounds appetizing... so does lasagna! ;D

Also I hate mondays...

00000000000000000000000-jpg.38907_This is not a dating site sticky_Questions & Feedback_Squat the Planet_9:09 PM

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
I think that's a great idea and also to remind people that sexually harrassing people via private messages or in chat isn't ok either.

OP
OP
DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
Well... Maybe a little fish ::woot::

Mondays suck, well, pretty much any morning before coffee!

I agree with @landpirate, if it's not there already, sexual harassment is not a thing that will be tolerated. Unfortunately, if it occurs in a PM, someone has to make the staff aware of it.

I certainly didn't expect this to really go anywhere :oops:, thanks for the support! :cool:

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
hmm, do you think we need this in the forum rules or just in the sticky thread? does sexual harassment fall under hate speech? i'm just trying to think of how to fit this into the help/rules area.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
hmm, do you think we need this in the forum rules or just in the sticky thread? does sexual harassment fall under hate speech? i'm just trying to think of how to fit this into the help/rules area.

I don't think it would qualify as hate speech... Diff category... Aggressive sexual advances would be more like a prelude to violence or gender discrimination maybe?

I think it should be in the forum rules??

Also think there should be a clear distinction of harmless flirtation or being annoying and real creeps... No ones ever told me off and I know I'm annoying... Lol But my comments are usually benign and I don't seriously think stp is a place to date... I mean STP could be a resource to meet people... Like the jambo obviously n if your then possibly make connections but not a dating site... Plus I'm sure there could be liability stuff if STP sanctioned itself as an online dating site...

I noticed that pm messages were mentioned before... Kinda like a line that's crossed if someone unwantingly commits advances toward another member...

Overall it's a mater of bring respectful and if some one begins to approach say something that makes u uncomfortable immediately say something... N if they persist... Then you bring out the metaphorical intetnet smiley!

P

Popsicle

I deleted myself
I say make it a rule! But yea define flirtations but if someone says hey nice eyes that's a compliment .

If someone says hey you got a nice tuna FIRE EM

OP
OP
DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
It might be good to do like a banner the same way you have on the train hopping board. At least for temporary, but it might be better as a banner permanently. Thanks!!

EphemeralStick

HoMoBo HoBoMo
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
San Jose
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Also think there should be a clear distinction of harmless flirtation or being annoying and real creeps...
Unfortunately that is not a distinction we're at liberty to set in stone. It's impossible to know how someone will interpret flirtation over the internet so what may seem harmless to the one flirting may come across as harassment to the recipient.

As a side note; don't flirt with people you don't already have rapport with. You'll find that your chances of being seen as a creep will be a lot lower.

Threads
Current Location
Everywhere, No where
Website
www.house13oom.com
Reactions
92% 0% 8%
I see new female members show up and they are instantly harassed. I told one girl that was asking for advice, I said get a knife because you are pretty. I got so much shit for it. But the guys who gave me the shit were the people that harass women in here, the women who gave me shit were ugly so.. yea.

But seriously, now a days ante all social media a kinda of a date site?

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Unfortunately that is not a distinction we're at liberty to set in stone. It's impossible to know how someone will interpret flirtation over the internet so what may seem harmless to the one flirting may come across as harassment to the recipient.
This is very important to keep in mind... totally agree... best to be polite an mind your P's n Q's... old school!!! you gutter rats... lol.
Sorry I can't seem to carry a conversation without adding theater... ::bored::

As a side note; don't flirt with people you don't already have rapport with. You'll find that your chances of being seen as a creep will be a lot lower.
I have at different times built rapport but think also lost it... ... my fault letting drink and depression keeping me from making cool rendezvous... or IM just sound off stupid on stp...

Stilll this is an amazing site... and though we should not turn it in to a
tinder or some bs I have avoided for many years... we can recognize the potential for community building... which can sometimes leads to happy times with people you care about...

at least thats the point isn't it... of all this.... :(

OP
OP
DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
This is very important to keep in mind... totally agree... best to be polite an mind your P's n Q's... old school!!! you gutter rats... lol.
Sorry I can't seem to carry a conversation without adding theater... ::bored::

I have at different times built rapport but think also lost it... ... my fault letting drink and depression keeping me from making cool rendezvous... or IM just sound off stupid on stp...

Stilll this is an amazing site... and though we should not turn it in to a
tinder or some bs I have avoided for many years... we can recognize the potential for community building... which can sometimes leads to happy times with people you care about...

at least thats the point isn't it... of all this.... :(
Ya, man, I agree with you. There have been some relationships come out of this site, but they weren't advertised as such. If people want to go beyond the platonic, then by all means, go for it. That's kind of what the road dogs board is for in a way. For people to meet up and see if they want to travel together for a while. I have seen that go bad too. Over all, the personal ad thing is way more drama than is already present on this site.

I'm just saying if personal ads are going to get flagged, it should be right at the top of that section stating in no uncertain terms that personal ads are not allowed.

As far as harassment, if it isn't in the rules yet, it should be.

Now to that point, a blanket ban for offense isn't called for either, just a redirect to a more appropriate site. Banning people who are stupid when they get drink pretty much means we're all going to get banned at some point. However, that's not what I am suggesting. Just a friendly reminder that that type of stuff had not been addressed until now, and this is how the community had decided to handle it.

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Threads
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
Reactions
94% 2% 4%
For the most part, I would talk about dating outside the internet altogether. I think eHarmony, Chemistry, Match, and plentyoffish to name a few, pretty much blew everything up anyway. So whatever the STP team decides, I totally support it win or lose.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%

MamaSow

Pilgrim
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Laramie
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
P

Popsicle

I deleted myself
Mamasow get down

OP
OP
DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
So, Matt, did the no personal ads thing go anywhere? Just wondering if it is being considered.