News & Blogs - This artist spent 10 years carving a giant cave – alone with his dog | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs This artist spent 10 years carving a giant cave – alone with his dog

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Think I saw something about this a few years ago and now it has resurfaced as a finished cave (hehe you know he won't finish it - work in progress) and now has a documentary out about this. It's in New Mexico - and looks absolutely lovely. Something I'd like to see! Interesting trailer for the documentary too, wasn't able to embed - but it's at the the bottom of the article at the link. I put this here versus New Mexico, but tagged it with New Mexico, etc.

<edit - it's not finished - ha - knew it!>

http://www.boredpanda.com/cave-carving-ra-paulette-new-mexico/

This Artist Spent 10 Years Carving A Giant Cave – Alone With His Dog
4 days ago by Lokkie

For the last 10 years, American artist Ra Paulette has been walking alone into New Mexico’s desert to work. He spends his time carving a sandstone cave that he found, turning it into a wonderful subterranean space full of light.

With no one but his dog for company, Paulette created different designs and styles for every cavern, giving each one very specific qualities and textures.

The purpose of this gigantic artwork is to create an environment that would inspire “spiritual renewal and personal well being.” It will also serve as a venue for artistic events once it’s finished.

More info: cavediggerdocumentary | (via: designboom, boredpanda.es)

carved-cave-101.jpg

cave-carving-ra-paulette-new-mexico-1.jpg

carved-cave-14.jpg

carved-cave-gif3.gif

cave-carving-ra-paulette-30.jpg

carved-cave-1.jpg

carved-cave-12.jpg

carved-cave-9.jpg

carved-cave-4.jpg

carved-cave-3.jpg

carved-cave-11.jpg

carved-cave-gif2.gif

carved-cave-5.jpg

carved-cave-141.jpg

carved-cave-7.jpg

carved-cave-6.jpg

carved-cave-8.jpg

carved-cave-151.jpg

carved-cave-2.jpg

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@tobepxt - I know I thought about cave ins - I'm sure he's experienced some OOPS A LITTLE TOO MUCH AT THE TOP (I've done some carving - plaster and wood - can't put it back on ...), but my thoughts were - earthquake or something force major - huge rainstorm that floods. Even still - I'd love to see it. Hmmmm Wonder if I can find coordinates on Google Earth. hehe - <scampers off...>

Reactions: Kal and Lusovius

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is so epic...

But... give it a thousand years and I bet someone will say it was Ancient Aliens.

c36cc3c7273f8c7da9e4519b7ed0682f.jpg

Need to post a sign on the back wall...

(now I wanna create something that can be misinterpreted through the aeon's of history's channel. I may make fun of it but I love that show lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads