Thinking of starting a weekly show for StP

Dameon

Vagabond
Current Location
Northern California
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Please no ads baby Jesus
So you got the bandwidth costs then? Streaming video ain't cheap. Either gotta host on a site like Youtube (which will have ads), or have sponsors who help you out in return for shout-outs and ads, or just straight up charge for the content. One way or another, like it or not, money to host this sort of thing has gotta come from somewhere.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Main problem I can see is funding. Going to need a lot of bandwidth if it gets any popularity, so you'll have to do ads or get really creative to cover those costs. If you just did the donation model, there's the risk that it goes viral and next thing you know you're staring down a $1k hosting bill out of nowhere.
oh i'm not worried about bandwidth. everything will be hosted on external sites like twitch, youtube, and probably podbean for the audio version (which is only $10/mo). so really, no more bandwidth than what we're already using (which isn't much).

in other news, i got a nice microphone and some other odds and ends to make the quality a bit nicer, so just working out all the technological logistics right now, basically figuring out how all this will work.

i'll probably use discord for video conferencing and OBS to record that and stream it for the live show and just save the recording to put on youtube.

Current Location
Jackson, CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Sounds like a great idea & can cover different topics each week. Perhaps a segment for RVers/car-campers

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
i could use a few volunteers (2-3) to do a test with me in a video conference. i just need to figure out if my internet is going to be capable of streaming (upload) while downloading everyone's video feeds. requirements would be a webcam (any kind, doesn't matter) and the discord app (phone or desktop, either is fine) and the ability to meet up at a certain time.

on a side note, you can use the camera on your smart phone if you don't have a web cam, especially if you have the discord app on your phone (i need to test discord on the phone anyways).

Eng J Ryan

Uncivilized Bachelor Daddy
Staff member
Current Location
666 E. Home Ave. Fresno, Ca. 93728
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
I'm in. I have everything I need just gotta download discord just got a new laptop so I might fumble around for a minute but I'll figure everything out pretty quick I'm sure. I have an internet service technician coming out tomorrow and the next day I have court to hopefully see the dude who killed my nephew catch some justice. I could potentially be free later in the day on the 7th or wide open on the 8th, 9th, 10th and so on as far as I know. When are you thinking of trying it?

Eng J Ryan

Uncivilized Bachelor Daddy
Staff member
Current Location
666 E. Home Ave. Fresno, Ca. 93728
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
Oh today or tomorrow Umm I can try to get back here by around 9 tonight or tomorrow I can do it around the service tech I suppose. Or if you get other volunteers just grab em up.

Current Location
Seward, Alaska
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I love the idea of a voicemail dropbox for topical segments.

I have some experience in audio editing if you are in need of help.

palmazon

Yabbadabbadoo-or-die...
StP Supporter
Current Location
La Habra, CA
Reactions
97% 0% 2%
Yes - let us be perpetual fledglings!