These heated glass igloos are the perfect place to witness the Northern Lights

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
https://roadtrippers.com/blog/these...-perfect-place-to-witness-the-northern-lights
These heated glass igloos are the perfect place to witness the Northern Lights

these-heated-glass-igloos-are-the-perfect-place-to-witness-the-northern-lights.jpg

pin_it_button.png
Greg Newkirk
12 December, 2014
Located in the Arctic Circle, Finland’s Hotel Kakslauttanen offers the unique opportunity to spend the night cozied in a heated igloo. But the best part? The igloo’s glass ceiling is specially designed to provide an incredible view of the beautiful Northern Lights.

xlxvuhh2h3d5lxhejmcr.jpg

The work that went into creating the resort, the first of its kind, took years of research and development. Much like sitting in a car with the heat cranked in the dead of winter, any normal glass igloo would simply fog over, ruining a stunning view. Hotel Kakslauttanen dove in and solved this problem by developing special thermal glass that stays crystal clear when when the outside temperature drops below -30°C.

In addition to providing what is, arguably, the best view of any hotel ever, each igloo comes equipped with luxury beds and a hot sauna. Need to wake up quickly? They have pre-cut holes into the icy pond right outside your door.

dgwdivumplip2bvkks0i.jpg

td8hsup97st8jxszwc0r.jpg

u1bkf7ncdmz4p4lbovwy.jpg

r3jrq4hkmh0n5hwdfncl.jpg

tkjrpdj5ebbjqrshyck4.jpg

vd7bira3qswutwjjhdf3.jpg

ffp5j3ns3rby7xefe2kw.jpg

vig1r4cfv6sjtx9oqxnu.jpg

wtwmi2xcmczvsfqrqmea.jpg

ubsysaiyuezrpp2uutfs.jpg

wpq8tcq8cppdne66nx7f.jpg

Attachments

• these-heated-glass-igloos-are-the-perfect-place-to-witness-the-northern-lights.jpg
    these-heated-glass-igloos-are-the-perfect-place-to-witness-the-northern-lights.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 537
  • pin_it_button.png
    pin_it_button.png
    909 bytes · Views: 446
Reactions: Odin and wizehop

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
:D Nooky time would not be quite a private time ;) - those are awesome - I was thinking you would be posting some of those buildings they make of ice - includes ice bedrooms, ice bars - with glasses made of ice.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
:D Nooky time would not be quite a private time ;)

Naww.... I've been in a Cadillac before, on a chill night windows fog up fast. ::cigar::

These would be better* if they were real igloos... but with ice block sections for opaque strange light transparency. ::alien::

*step out for aurora

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Naww.... I've been in a Cadillac before, on a chill night windows fog up fast. ::cigar::

These would be better* if they were real igloos... but with ice block sections for opaque strange light transparency. ::alien::

*step out for aurora

LOL so did my little nisson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Art101

Reaction score
Wow Wants go and just watch the northern lights and lay about why waste the view with sqaulking and flailing about! Beside I already got the speech about wasting time and money on frivalous things.Finland is on my bucket list for sure as is the new Viking worship center in Iceland.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads