thermal-insulated tarps | Squat the Planet

thermal-insulated tarps

P

Pheonix

after a short winter panhandling trip with 3 blankets, I've realized that blankets aren't made for outside sleeping in the cold. my solution to this problem is 2 emergency blankets, 1 as a ground covering and 1 as a blanket. after spending $8 on 2 emergency blankets I realized they will quickly rip and tear. my solution to the new problem was to spend about $20 on 6 rolls of duct tape and taped both sides of the blankets. the results I'm hoping will be a great durable ground cover and tarp with super thermal insulation properties.

looking forward to my next trip so I can test out my new tarps.

has anyone else done something like this before and how was your experiences?

K

Kim Chee

I normally don't travel in really cold environments (although I sometimes do). I'll be riding the choo choo when I leave here and will only be using
a blanket and a foam sleeping pad to keep warm (other than lots of layered clothing) in the Siskyious. I've made trips like this before and didn't
get too cold. The foam pad is durable, waterproof and great for insulating myself from the ground (or metal), best spent $10 ever.

travelin

Reaction score
yeah, ive taped the edges to keep em from tearing.

they really are one use and throw away designed items.

you need a casualty blanket for multiple use. they are much more rugged than the packaged space blankets.

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
yeah id like to see how those casualty blankets would work out. Im gunna see if i can find one in an army surplus around here and give it a try.

if anyones wondering what it is:
casualtybig.jpg

http://www.safezonellc.com/casualty.html

Reactions: Mankini

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Fuck man, just do what I did when I was squatting in Portland. Find A homeless shelter or what ever that hands out those free grey wool/synthetic blankets. get two of them, then put them together flat, fold them over (Like a taco) Then either sew in A big ass zipper, or just sew the Bottom and side together, (Which is what I did). Voi-La Free sleeping bag, Light weight, and warm!!

Good luck and be safe!

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
after a short winter panhandling trip with 3 blankets, I've realized that blankets aren't made for outside sleeping in the cold. my solution to this problem is 2 emergency blankets, 1 as a ground covering and 1 as a blanket. after spending $8 on 2 emergency blankets I realized they will quickly rip and tear. my solution to the new problem was to spend about $20 on 6 rolls of duct tape and taped both sides of the blankets. the results I'm hoping will be a great durable ground cover and tarp with super thermal insulation properties.

looking forward to my next trip so I can test out my new tarps.

has anyone else done something like this before and how was your experiences?

Dustin (and I) made an outdoor winter emergency shelter using a piece of plastic (large), an emergency blanket (to reflect the heat and flame of the fire), and other outdoor found items. Of course the distance and placement of fire varies according to the wind, area, etc but it worked pretty well. Keeps it in the low 70s if you make it correctly. Kept recent torrential rain out too crazily.

K

Kim Chee

Dustin (and I) made an outdoor winter emergency shelter using a piece of plastic (large), an emergency blanket (to reflect the heat and flame of the fire), and other outdoor found items. Of course the distance and placement of fire varies according to the wind, area, etc but it worked pretty well. Keeps it in the low 70s if you make it correctly. Kept recent torrential rain out too crazily.

And I can't imagine that it hurts to have a good snuggle-buddy.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrBULKizn0Hbzd4WJhMJwO31XmjfwtYxAdydQZpfe4JTJfJl3M.jpg

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I recently came across this on youtube:

How to make an emergency space blanket outta potato chip bags and duct tape.
I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing how it works. You'd probably get longer use outta this, chip bags
certainly seem a bit tougher than those see through space blankets. Don't get me wrong, those emergency
blankets are cheap and have saved my ass before, but they don't hold up well. I just don't know if the shiny side
of those chip bags work as well. It will be great if they do!

I've actually used to use those emergency reflective blankets in the summer, I used to weight them down over my
car while it was parked to deflect the sun's heat so inside of my car would not bake.

I have been experimenting with the heavy weight contractor trash bags for shelter, they are surprisingly durable.
So far 2 of them split open, duct taped together and staked over a low pole, have made for a dry goodnight's sleep
for weeks.
If this chip bag thing works, I'm thinking of making it double sided, garbage bag on the outside surface, chip bag for
the inside surface. I'll post pics, if this shit works.

Sure this may seem like a lot of work to some folks, when all you gotta do is buy one of those casualty blankets, but
I pack extremely light and am all about honing my skills and being able to make something when I don't have it.

travelin

Reaction score
christmas wrapping paper thats shiny on the inside does a bang up good job of reflecting heat. couple winters ago i papered two walls of my little barn with it, used space blankets taped together overhead taped to string and created a nice snug warm zone for sleeping in low 20's nights.

Reactions: outskirts

outskirts

Reaction score
I'm gonna try this guys technique for making the grommets on a space blanket/trash bag shelter.

It's a pretty slick trick he has with the tape and rubber bands.

outskirts

Reaction score

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
Without a doubt, the casualty blanket is the most versatile piece of kit I own. I put some paracord and mini bungies on each corner to rig it as a rain shelter. 12 oz. and 16 dollars at a surplus store. When I travel, I use it every day.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads