Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, so one of the things I've been wanting to create for some time now is a directory of sorts, containing useful destinations for travelers on StP. Previously I've lacked the software to do this in a way that makes sense, but I've recently gotten this worked out and am now in the first phase of testing. If you visit the atlas here:

https://squattheplanet.com/atlas

You'll find a directory with a handful of categories to organize things. As time goes on I will be adding more categories and ways to filter submissions to this directory as people suggest them. We have two example posts so if you're wondering what a submission to this atlas should look like, check out the listings for the jamboree and slab city library.

I am adapting this idea from the atlas directory from the website atlas obscura, so if you want to see an example of the vision i have for this directory, click those links. basically i'd like to see a more 'dirty kid' version of what they have going on there, where folks can look up destinations that are either useful, interesting, or just plain mind blowing. There's also a category for listing events, so hopefully that will get filled with useful events worth traveling to. I picture a mix of infoshops, community centers, urban exploration locations, and parties that will be of use to the community as it grows over the years.

each destination can be commented on or you can submit a review of that place if you've been there yourself. keep in mind that the software im using for this is very customizable, so if you think there needs to be a particular option or text field for whatever that would make things easier to use, or just make more sense, please let me know in this thread. i'm only one person, so i really need your input to make this directory as useful as possible!

also, the usefulness of this project directly depends on your submissions! do you know of a cool place people should visit? an awesome resource travelers should be aware of in a particular city? please take a moment to submit it to this directory! don't worry about it being perfect, the moderators and myself can often fill in the nitty gritty details, as long as you give us enough to go on :)

I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes and what kind of suggestions and submission you might have for it!

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I guess we could create a 'city guides' category where folks can create guides to cities, like one listing for every city?

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Bend, OR
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya, I know there were some resource threads for different cities....what happened to those?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Ya, I know there were some resource threads for different cities....what happened to those?
i'm pretty sure you can still find those in the destinations section of the forums. they're just threads that have been combined from other threads about the same subject. but they keep getting buried under other threads so that's why im working on this atlas thingy.

Thf

Lurker
Current Location
Netherlands
Would it maybe be possible to organize a naming scheme?

Something as simple as “Country/State”-“City”-“Title” would make it easyer to index things by location later on (as the atlas obscura has managed).
It also enables what to me seems like the main point of an atlas, location indexation.

Also not sure how much you are going the urban exploration tour with secret locations, but maybe have an address or coordinates incluided in the first couple of lines, so if in the future you want to implement a map (wich might just be a pet peeve of mine) you can do so easily.

Otherwhise great initiative! I’m sure it will offer up some very interesting locations if it matures.
Apologies for any and all spelling errors my usual spell checker has decided not to care today.

Reactions: 1 person
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Also not sure how much you are going the urban exploration tour with secret locations, but maybe have an address or coordinates incluided in the first couple of lines, so if in the future you want to implement a map (wich might just be a pet peeve of mine) you can do so easily.
you can already specify a location via google maps when creating a location. although it would be nice to have an 'overview' map which is something im talking about with the addon author cause i'd like to see that as well.

Something as simple as “Country/State”-“City”-“Title” would make it easyer to index things by location later on (as the atlas obscura has managed).
It also enables what to me seems like the main point of an atlas, location indexation.
i've put in a feature request to have sub-categories so we'd be able to do exactly what you're saying :)

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
okay, well im really dumb and somehow didn't notice that the ability to have subcategories is built into the software. we still can't have one atlas item in multiple categories, but if we do the categories as locations (i.e. north america > usa > texas) no item has to be in more than one category anyways.

i'll probably take the categories we have now (urbex, natural wonders, etc) and just use those as tags.

okay... looks like i have some restructuring to do, but it should be much better organized after i've done that!

Thf

Lurker
Current Location
Netherlands
you can already specify a location via google maps when creating a location. although it would be nice to have an 'overview' map which is something im talking about with the addon author cause i'd like to see that as well.
That’s awesome to hear! (heck all of it is but to quote everything you said will clutter this message badly) I wish I could help somehow but my coding knowlege is sadly limited.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
That’s awesome to hear! (heck all of it is but to quote everything you said will clutter this message badly) I wish I could help somehow but my coding knowlege is sadly limited.
Well, really what we need is people to post locations. If you know of any or come across some in the future you should add them :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Selling all my items should be on the rails in may any OG advice
last night got spare-change'd by someone with a crackstem in the same outstretched hand they wanted a coin in
Hittin the I-5 S. Union pacfic in a couple days. Hmu if anyones down the line an wants to smoke a joint an talk.
A digi-nomad's life for me?
Met a super sweet old traveler girl yesterday been off the road 6 months. So stoked on life right now
Amtrak crew change. Hiding from the bull
Got a new bicycle today! I feel so much better
Hitched from Ft. Collins, CO to Laramie, WY in three rides and an hour and a half. Today’s a good day.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Rebelyell