Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Hey folks, so one of the things I've been wanting to create for some time now is a directory of sorts, containing useful destinations for travelers on StP. Previously I've lacked the software to do this in a way that makes sense, but I've recently gotten this worked out and am now in the first phase of testing. If you visit the atlas here:

https://squattheplanet.com/atlas

You'll find a directory with a handful of categories to organize things. As time goes on I will be adding more categories and ways to filter submissions to this directory as people suggest them. We have two example posts so if you're wondering what a submission to this atlas should look like, check out the listings for the jamboree and slab city library.

I am adapting this idea from the atlas directory from the website atlas obscura, so if you want to see an example of the vision i have for this directory, click those links. basically i'd like to see a more 'dirty kid' version of what they have going on there, where folks can look up destinations that are either useful, interesting, or just plain mind blowing. There's also a category for listing events, so hopefully that will get filled with useful events worth traveling to. I picture a mix of infoshops, community centers, urban exploration locations, and parties that will be of use to the community as it grows over the years.

each destination can be commented on or you can submit a review of that place if you've been there yourself. keep in mind that the software im using for this is very customizable, so if you think there needs to be a particular option or text field for whatever that would make things easier to use, or just make more sense, please let me know in this thread. i'm only one person, so i really need your input to make this directory as useful as possible!

also, the usefulness of this project directly depends on your submissions! do you know of a cool place people should visit? an awesome resource travelers should be aware of in a particular city? please take a moment to submit it to this directory! don't worry about it being perfect, the moderators and myself can often fill in the nitty gritty details, as long as you give us enough to go on :)

I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes and what kind of suggestions and submission you might have for it!

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Santa Fe, NM
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I guess we could create a 'city guides' category where folks can create guides to cities, like one listing for every city?

Coywolf

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Santa Fe, NM
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Ya, I know there were some resource threads for different cities....what happened to those?

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Ya, I know there were some resource threads for different cities....what happened to those?
i'm pretty sure you can still find those in the destinations section of the forums. they're just threads that have been combined from other threads about the same subject. but they keep getting buried under other threads so that's why im working on this atlas thingy.

Coywolf

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Santa Fe, NM
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Ahhh, copy that. I'll see what I can do to contribute to the Atlas.