wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27186709

The slow death of purposeless walking
By Finlo RohrerBBC News Magazine
  • 1 May 2014
_74571506_friedrich.jpg

A number of recent books have lauded the connection between walking - just for its own sake - and thinking. But are people losing their love of the purposeless walk?

Walking is a luxury in the West. Very few people, particularly in cities, are obliged to do much of it at all. Cars, bicycles, buses, trams, and trains all beckon.

Instead, walking for any distance is usually a planned leisure activity. Or a health aid. Something to help people lose weight. Or keep their fitness. But there's something else people get from choosing to walk. A place to think.

Wordsworth was a walker. His work is inextricably bound up with tramping in the Lake District. Drinking in the stark beauty. Getting lost in his thoughts.

Walking (Henry David Thoreau)

Charles Dickens was a walker. He could easily rack up 20 miles, often at night. You can almost smell London's atmosphere in his prose. Virginia Woolf walked for inspiration. She walked out from her home at Rodmell in the South Downs. She wandered through London's parks.

Henry David Thoreau, who was both author and naturalist, walked and walked and walked. But even he couldn't match the feat of someone like Constantin Brancusi, the sculptor who walked much of the way between his home village in Romania and Paris. Or indeed Patrick Leigh Fermor, whose walk from the Hook of Holland to Istanbul at the age of 18 inspired several volumes of travel writing. George Orwell, Thomas De Quincey, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Friedrich Nietzsche, Bruce Chatwin, WG Sebald and Vladimir Nabokov are just some of the others who have written about it.

From recent decades, the environmentalist and writer John Francis has been one of the truly epic walkers. Francis was inspired by witnessing an oil tanker accident in San Francisco Bay to eschew motor vehicles for 22 years. Instead he walked. And thought. He was aided by a parallel pledge not to speak which lasted 17 years.

_74521394_walkingtexting.jpg

But you don't have to be an author to see the value of walking. A particular kind of walking. Not the distance between porch and corner shop. But a more aimless pursuit.

In the UK, May is National Walking Month. And a new book, A Philosophy of Walking by Prof Frederic Gros, is currently the object of much discussion. Only last week, a study from Stanford University showed that even walking on a treadmill improved creative thinking.

Night Walks (Charles Dickens)

Across the West, people are still choosing to walk. Nearly every journey in the UK involves a little walking, and nearly a quarter of all journeys are made entirely on foot, according to one survey. But the same study found that a mere 17% of trips were "just to walk". And that included dog-walking.

It is that "just to walk" category that is so beloved of creative thinkers.

"There is something about the pace of walking and the pace of thinking that goes together. Walking requires a certain amount of attention but it leaves great parts of the time open to thinking. I do believe once you get the blood flowing through the brain it does start working more creatively," says Geoff Nicholson, author of The Lost Art of Walking.

"Your senses are sharpened. As a writer, I also use it as a form of problem solving. I'm far more likely to find a solution by going for a walk than sitting at my desk and 'thinking'."

Nicholson lives in Los Angeles, a city that is notoriously car-focused. There are other cities around the world that can be positively baffling to the evening stroller. Take Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital. Anyone planning to walk even between two close points should prepare to be patient. Pavements mysteriously end. Busy roads need to be traversed without the aid of crossings. The act of choosing to walk can provoke bafflement from the residents.

Many now walk and text at the same time. There's been an increase in injuries to pedestrians in the US attributed to this. One study suggested texting even changed the manner in which people walked.

It's not just texting. This is the era of the "smartphone map zombie" - people who only take occasional glances away from an electronic routefinder to avoid stepping in anything or being hit by a car.

"You see people who don't get from point A to point B without looking at their phones," says Solnit. "People used to get to know the lay of the land."

People should go out and walk free of distractions, says Nicholson. "I do think there is something about walking mindfully. To actually be there and be in the moment and concentrate on what you are doing."

@BBCNewsMagazine on Twitter and on Facebook

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Excellent article.
For all the types of travel people discuss, trains, bikes, rubber tramping...
It's nice to remember that the most basic way is to walk right out your door.

Reactions: Mankini and Kal

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Very nice inspirational article! Makes me want to walk a very long distance... Too bad it's a lot harder to take long distance walks, what with busy roads and all.

K

Kim Chee

For me, walking facilitates meditation...or at least it is a brief escape and a pleasurable change of scenery at an enjoyable pace.

Nice artical.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Awesome article. Not only is walking good for the body but also for the brain. Walking also calms me down when pissed off which is rare.

:) I have walked a lot for years. Many days doing 10 miles - walk to/from work and for an hour at lunch following the river here. But that is all newer ... As for the walking for the brain - when I was having the many issues with the ex husband - not only did I lose weight but I walked off my anger and unhappiness. Walked my little doggy's legs off as well as I talked to myself and sorted out shit while I walked and talked. hehe I'm sure I could have been pointed out by neighbors as "oh there goes that woman again" hehe Alright potentially a little on the wacky side. But Meh - it became therapeutic -- but now it's become more of a lifestyle choice. I walk a lot :)

Good article @wizehop

Reactions: Kal and Anagor

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Nothing quite like wandering around, churning off all of your mental quandaries and problems, only to find a comfortable spot to sit down and read in the sunlight. Both of those things seem to be increasingly unpopular in modern folk, though. The contemplative arts are none too popular in the generation of bread and circuses.

The other day a fellow young person asked me what I'd done with my weekend. I told him that I read a book. He scoffed at me, "You read books for fun?!"

Yup. And I walk places for fun, too. Sometimes I even do it in the woods. It's called hiking.

I don't always fit in with people my age, lol.

Reactions: Kal and Shinobi
D

Deleted member 13433

The great thing about walking is it slows everything down - something which is so desperately needed today....
You'll see thing's walking that otherwise you would have never noticed.

Only thing I like better than walking is canoeing - again, because it allows you to see everything and not miss a single detail.

Great post :)

shabti

Reaction score
hey...that's the painting "Wanderer above a Sea of Fog." at the top.

makes me want to jam out to some wolves in the throne room.

and yeah, fuck walking. In the woods maybe, but if I want to just move about listlessly for pleasure, I'll ride a bike.

Reactions: Odin

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of purposeless walks. There is nothing better than strolling, taking in the sights (depending on your outlook, there's always something to see) and all cares and stresses melting away.

Reactions: Kal

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
The great thing about walking is it slows everything down - something which is so desperately needed today....
You'll see thing's walking that otherwise you would have never noticed.

Only thing I like better than walking is canoeing - again, because it allows you to see everything and not miss a single detail.

Great post :)

Totally. I find some of the strangest items just lying around the roadside. Sunflowers, bottlecaps, cultist propaganda, UNDERWEAR... once I even found a piece of rice paper with some sort of eastern spell written on it. Cool shit.

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
That is very cool.

I too have found a lot of really cool things.

I give what I find, away. I've found clothes, an awesome coin purse with Hindu art on it, cutlery (some clean, some used for drugs. Those get left behind...) dishes, and even a really cool apple basket.

The road is a treasure chest...if you just open your eyes.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13433

I remember a number of years back going for a long walk along route 110, beautiful place to walk - you have a river on one side, and - well - back then anyway - nice trees etc... on the other side [now it's all been developed...]

I came across a purposely made monument - small - to this day I can't find it if driving by - and it's a memorial for a child who was killed there, probably hit by a car or something.

I remember standing there for a long time wondering the grief the person felt who carved into that rock the words that I read.

You know, I actually have to drive by there right now - I'll see if I can find that spot, as it's been quite sometime since I been there last.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
I remember a number of years back going for a long walk along route 110, beautiful place to walk - you have a river on one side, and - well - back then anyway - nice trees etc... on the other side [now it's all been developed...]

I came across a purposely made monument - small - to this day I can't find it if driving by - and it's a memorial for a child who was killed there, probably hit by a car or something.

I remember standing there for a long time wondering the grief the person felt who carved into that rock the words that I read.

You know, I actually have to drive by there right now - I'll see if I can find that spot, as it's been quite sometime since I been there last.
Take a pic, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13433

of what, the stone ??
No - I'd rather not as it is private - personal.
I did see it yesterday - very hard to notice unless one knows exactly what they are looking for.
It is set in a flower garden - and memorializes an 11 year old child who was struck and killed by a truck at that spot.
Can't even begin to imagine what the parents went through after that - not too mention the truck driver - as it is a main road....

Nelco

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27186709

The slow death of purposeless walking
By Finlo RohrerBBC News Magazine
  • 1 May 2014
View attachment 24505

A number of recent books have lauded the connection between walking - just for its own sake - and thinking. But are people losing their love of the purposeless walk?

Walking is a luxury in the West. Very few people, particularly in cities, are obliged to do much of it at all. Cars, bicycles, buses, trams, and trains all beckon.

Instead, walking for any distance is usually a planned leisure activity. Or a health aid. Something to help people lose weight. Or keep their fitness. But there's something else people get from choosing to walk. A place to think.

Wordsworth was a walker. His work is inextricably bound up with tramping in the Lake District. Drinking in the stark beauty. Getting lost in his thoughts.

Walking (Henry David Thoreau)

Charles Dickens was a walker. He could easily rack up 20 miles, often at night. You can almost smell London's atmosphere in his prose. Virginia Woolf walked for inspiration. She walked out from her home at Rodmell in the South Downs. She wandered through London's parks.

Henry David Thoreau, who was both author and naturalist, walked and walked and walked. But even he couldn't match the feat of someone like Constantin Brancusi, the sculptor who walked much of the way between his home village in Romania and Paris. Or indeed Patrick Leigh Fermor, whose walk from the Hook of Holland to Istanbul at the age of 18 inspired several volumes of travel writing. George Orwell, Thomas De Quincey, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Friedrich Nietzsche, Bruce Chatwin, WG Sebald and Vladimir Nabokov are just some of the others who have written about it.

From recent decades, the environmentalist and writer John Francis has been one of the truly epic walkers. Francis was inspired by witnessing an oil tanker accident in San Francisco Bay to eschew motor vehicles for 22 years. Instead he walked. And thought. He was aided by a parallel pledge not to speak which lasted 17 years.

View attachment 24506
But you don't have to be an author to see the value of walking. A particular kind of walking. Not the distance between porch and corner shop. But a more aimless pursuit.

In the UK, May is National Walking Month. And a new book, A Philosophy of Walking by Prof Frederic Gros, is currently the object of much discussion. Only last week, a study from Stanford University showed that even walking on a treadmill improved creative thinking.

Night Walks (Charles Dickens)

Across the West, people are still choosing to walk. Nearly every journey in the UK involves a little walking, and nearly a quarter of all journeys are made entirely on foot, according to one survey. But the same study found that a mere 17% of trips were "just to walk". And that included dog-walking.

It is that "just to walk" category that is so beloved of creative thinkers.

"There is something about the pace of walking and the pace of thinking that goes together. Walking requires a certain amount of attention but it leaves great parts of the time open to thinking. I do believe once you get the blood flowing through the brain it does start working more creatively," says Geoff Nicholson, author of The Lost Art of Walking.

"Your senses are sharpened. As a writer, I also use it as a form of problem solving. I'm far more likely to find a solution by going for a walk than sitting at my desk and 'thinking'."

Nicholson lives in Los Angeles, a city that is notoriously car-focused. There are other cities around the world that can be positively baffling to the evening stroller. Take Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital. Anyone planning to walk even between two close points should prepare to be patient. Pavements mysteriously end. Busy roads need to be traversed without the aid of crossings. The act of choosing to walk can provoke bafflement from the residents.

Many now walk and text at the same time. There's been an increase in injuries to pedestrians in the US attributed to this. One study suggested texting even changed the manner in which people walked.

It's not just texting. This is the era of the "smartphone map zombie" - people who only take occasional glances away from an electronic routefinder to avoid stepping in anything or being hit by a car.

"You see people who don't get from point A to point B without looking at their phones," says Solnit. "People used to get to know the lay of the land."

People should go out and walk free of distractions, says Nicholson. "I do think there is something about walking mindfully. To actually be there and be in the moment and concentrate on what you are doing."

@BBCNewsMagazine on Twitter and on Facebook
We have Amazon jobs for pointless walks appearantly now.

Reactions: Odin
D

Deleted member 13433

and fitness centers !!

Lots and lots and lots of fitness centers where people congragate, plug in their ipods and walk away on those treadmills thinking how great life is - I mean talk about an absolute waste of time and throwing ones money away !!

I can't believe modern society has sunk to such a low.

God forbid somebody actually goes for a walk outside these days.........

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I took it to heart last night to enjoy a purposeless walk in the dark.
Nothing epic but it was wet out and the crickets and critters were in full effect.
Curiously, half way through my excursion I find myself going past some wet hedges with an even stride.
Shortly there after I am alarmed by a sound at my feet, "Sniff, Sniff, Huff, Huff, Shuffle, Shuffle,".
I look down at a skunk with it's tail raised looking right at me.
I freeze in mid step a couple feet away from stepping on the anxious fellow. Again he looks at me, "Sniff, Sniff, Huff, Huff, Shuffle, Shuffle, Backstep".
I narrow my eyes... and wonder, "Do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?".
I decidedly do not.
I reverse me gait backing up a few feet and walk onto the roadside as my white striped adversary continues to back up beneath the cover of wet foliage.
Well that was interesting I ponder absently.
No Skunk bum spray for me... good.
I continue down then cut back across the grass onto the pavement.
Another street down I'm walking along a chain link fence now... Once again minding my business enjoying some fresh air.
I hear,"Sniff, Sniff, Huff, Huff, Shuffle, Shuffle, Backstep".
There on the other side of the chain-link fence... I stop rub my eyes and sure enough it's the skunk again. Or is it just a doppelganger? I don't know, though it sure seems as if the neighborhood is trying to discourage my pleasant nightly stroll.
There is nothing to it. I have to make a wide arc around the offended critter lest I am given a spray of his brand of concentrated "eau de toilette".
Well after that I continue walking until I come upon a bus stop and decide to take shelter for a bit as the drizzle of moisture intensifies for a short time. I drink my water and contemplate the coincidence of the night and mystery of an incomprehensible universe.
It was... a good night for a walk.

PS: @voodoochile76, Perhaps these skunks read your post on harvesting they're delicate musk glands? Perhaps they are trying to send a message through me?
Don't fuck with them or else.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads