The road to becoming shit hot!

Jim Small

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been playing music seriously now for about 6 months although I've dabbled a lot longer. Basically at some point I'm looking to record an album but don't feel that I'm quite good enough yet. Doing 10hr days 6 days a week as a jobbing archaeologist in the UK is just getting in the way! So, I have a vague (but cunning) plan. I was thinking that, in the new year, I'd chuck my bloodstained gaffer-taped guitar into the back of my knackered ford fiesta and drive across Europe (or anywhere really, I'm not especially fussed) with a view to meeting, learning from and playing with other musicians - and also just having a laugh!

The problem is - I have absolutely no idea how to go about this or find the right people! I'm thinking squats and festivals etc but any suggestions would be very welcome!

I am a fairly experienced traveller (I've bused it around india, south-east asia and central america in the past) so the human aspect and logistics shouldn't be a problem for me - just where to go and who to meet.

If it matters at all I've been told I roar like tom waits, croon like nick cave and play guitar with all the gentleness of leftover crack!

Reactions: fig

fig

Reaction score
You might try dodiy.org for venues and spaces, perhaps check slingshot magazine, and the related forums on this site. Glad you're doing it!

Reactions: Jim Small

Peanut Butter Boy

Reaction score
Website
www.jeremylachance.com
I would say you will meet a lot of busker while touring around cities. Most of the busker I've met where playing rock.
Just be sure to be at least good enough to not ruin the show when you ask to join to play !
Busker can be very cold at first sight (experience with jazz busker)
Good luck with your album !

Reactions: Jim Small

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads