Library The Rainbow Gathering: Five Decades of Beta-Testing Anarchist Society (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Older Than Dirt

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
I went to the 1990 Vermont gathering, as a hippie-hating 31 year old punk-rock skinhead from LES NYC.

i spent the first couple days gritting my teeth every time some hair-farming jerry said "Welcome home, brother!" to me. By the end, i was saying it too, and had fully drunk the kool-aid. I gained weight from eating so well, and took a hot shower every day.

The last night, when everyone broke out all their drugs since we were all heading home and didn't want to get busted going home, i wandered naked in the woods tripping my balls off all night and had a "religious experience" of great subsequent importance in my life.

Book is a pretty good intro to what to expect from the whole rainbow thing. Definitely worth going to one. Even if you hate hippies- you might turn into one.

Older Than Dirt

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
On the other hand, when the 2016 Vermont gathering was a mere hour's easy hitch away from Burlington where i was living in a train-kid squat at the time, i never bothered to go.

So the kool-aid wears off I guess. Or i had grown even less tolerant of wooks by age 57 than i was at 31 (i don't think this is actually even possible, you can't have more than 100% hatred). Probably should have gone. i would most likely be living in a tie-dyed yurt right now if i had, tending my herd of goats and my beehives, typing this on my hand-cranked laptop. Ah well.

If you are reading this, you should probably go to one if you never have.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Whens the next one

Im down to go to the next one im currently homeless in cali

Down to go to the next rainbow gathering
@Hippie95 please use the edit button on your previous posts instead of just posting one line after another in separate posts. we consider that spam and it's annoying to have to page through tons of one liners that aren't helpful to the thread.

i've merged your previous three posts into one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
World215