The nothernmost U.S. states | Squat the Planet

The nothernmost U.S. states

Sip

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

So here's the deal, I am leaving MI in three days. I am far too in love with the lakeshore in my home state and want to do some covert camping along it for a week or so, but then after that I'd like to hitch up through the U.P. to WI and then west through MN, ND, MT, ID, WA. Then down the west coast to mexico. I'm tired of taking the traditional route along I-80 (boring ass fucking country *shudder*). I've never done those states and am mostly wondering how they are for camping, hitching, ect. How are the people through that stretch? What are they like? I've done a lot of hitching, some out east, some down to Ohio to see my brother, rubber tramped from CO to PA. So I know the basics, obviously, just never been along that exact route.

Thanks,

-Sip

Reactions: Kal

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Ohh sounds like fun!!

Durp

Reaction score
I think the farther north you are the overall populice is more welcoming and nicer. The cold really forces people to have a sence of community. Just my experience. There are amazing people all over, but wa and maine are my favorite places other than Canada. I'm a pasty mother fucker tho and rather deal with cold than heat. Its just in my genetics. Ak is brutal and I really need to kick up there for a while.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've always had good experiences in the northern midwest. Camping in places without a lot of exposure to travelers can go either way, but for me its always been more like "the locals aren't embittered by transients so they just treat ya like a human being".

Twice in MN I've been woken up by police while sleeping in parks. One cop got told off by a superior when he tried to make me move, other just told me to leave in the morning. Otherwise, no trouble. I was on a bike, and slept openly in a lot of small town parks. Locals would often come over to chat, sometimes invite me for dinner. Got a lot of free showers at pools.

Course it helps not being supa crustie.

Check out rv "boondocking" resources, cuz there are also a lot of established free campgrounds in the Midwest, and some towns will have designated, but not always posted, free camping spots that are sometimes pretty nice. Bruce crossing in the UP comes to mind, where you can pitch a tent in the grassy "tourist court" with hot showers, wifi, and a farmers market, in this tiny little nowhere town with like six buildings.

Sip

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info, guys! Sounds like it will be a pretty chill trip for the most part. It S always nice to go to places where the fucking crustLords haven't devestated the local population like hoards of riding vandals.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads