The No-Nos of Traveling

A

AlwaysLost

What are some things that you should not do while traveling be it safety issues some bad advice you've heard or general oogle things to avoid. Help us noobs before it is too late! Thanks as always for helping me. I am trying to learn.

Last edited:

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
Sleeping near people you don't know, drinking or doing drugs with people you don't know, leaving your stuff with people you don't know, catching out with people you don't know, drinking or doing drugs before catching out, ignoring your instincts - especially about people, trying to hitchhike at night - it never works, having too much stuff, having excessive "just in case" stuff, being an asshole, not taking care of your dog, asking for a ccg on stp

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
trying to hitchhike at nig

I think this is more a personal preference than a "no-no". I night hitch all the time, it's just harder and more location specific - is there a streetlight, a rest area, a truck stop, etc. As well as what region.

In my view, never sleep without a "backup plan" - a bike lock or something that could be used as a weapon. That principle has gotten me pretty far even just with raccoons! Not to speak of tweakers..

Another one is - and this may be personal preference - don't go too fast, and don't travel with a deadline that can't be made flexible. Speed can numb you and deadlines can stress you out.

Last - don't trash the place, ever.

Bedheadred

Reaction score
Another one is - and this may be personal preference - don't go too fast, and don't travel with a deadline that can't be made flexible. Speed can numb you and deadlines can stress you out.

This! I just got rid of a deadline I had because it was stressing me out way too much, and making it harder to enjoy what I was experiencing in the moment. I like to travel slow, and see and learn as much I can.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Good topic and good input!!

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Pretty solid advice on here so far.
I would add: Don't blow up anyone's spot!
If you see some folks engaging in, shall we say, extralegal activities (or completely illegal activities), let them be. For instance, if someone is flying a sign, let them finish before you go up to introduce yourself. The more homeless-looking people that are gathered in an area, the more likely they are to get harassed by the cops.
The more obvious side of this involves things like not making a complete ass out of yourself at a hop out spot, etc. etc.

A

AlwaysLost

Pretty solid advice on here so far.
I would add: Don't blow up anyone's spot!
If you see some folks engaging in, shall we say, extralegal activities (or completely illegal activities), let them be. For instance, if someone is flying a sign, let them finish before you go up to introduce yourself. The more homeless-looking people that are gathered in an area, the more likely they are to get harassed by the cops.
The more obvious side of this involves things like not making a complete ass out of yourself at a hop out spot, etc. etc.

People are very protective of their spange spots here. Good advice so far everyone I appreciate it!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Be fucking respectful. Don't blow up spots for everyone else. Dont try to engage someone in a conversation/hang around them while they are busking. (God that is annoying). Dont NOT carry a map (phones are overrated). Dont believe people when they say beer is as good as water. Dont let people you dont know "watch your stuff". Dont camp/pass out on the a beach below high tide line. Dont underestimate the cold/weather. Dont expect other people to take care of you. Dont do meth. Dont do heroin. Dont hang around anyone who does the before mentioned substances. Dont lose your mind. Do get the fuck out there and have a good time. Its a big world. Time to start experiencing it.

todd

Reaction score
don't syphon gas with a cigarette in your mouth, don't bite your fingernails after wiping your ass with forest leaves, and don't ever (I mean EVER) piss into the wind off the back of a moving pick up truck.

Bedheadred

Reaction score
What the fuck does that mean?

Sounds like spiritual bullshit.

I'm not a spiritual person. What I mean is don't take more than you need, and be thankful for whatever you do get. Being greedy and expecting things to be handed to you and not being appreciative won't get you very far in life. That's just my mantra, and what I think.

crow

Reaction score
trust no one.
that doesn't mean treat everyone like theyre sketchy.
just dont think cause theyre nice and share their drugs n shizz that they wont take advantage and steal from you if you make it easy for 'em.

always carry water.

and pack in/pack out.
i've seen countless spots n sqwats blown up cause people are trashy and leave 'bum tracks'

respect for nature, place, and people goes a long way.
as does gratitude. stay positive and thank the universe for every little blessing cause the law of attraction is a real thing.

Tartar24

Reaction score
One thing I noticed that wasn't in here. Don't blow up the spot. For instance there was a kid that stole a bnsf unit. Now all bnsf units are locked. Which is unfortunate since they are the train company of the highline. Just have some sense and don't try and show out by doing something that will get you in trouble and/ or ruin it for people later on.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads