• Hey folks, we've recently updated the forum software and are in the middle of getting everything back in place. I hope to have everything back online soon!

The lifestyle: How did you start out?

Current Location
Lake Mack, Florida
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
What made you start traveling? How did you discover this alternative lifestyle was for you.?
For me i had read some books as a kid that lightly touched on the subject of tramping. At the time i was dead set on joining the military, i thought that was that best way to prove myself, enrich myself, help the world, and get to travel the world. Within a few years i realized that i did not want to aid the american government's motives but i still wanted a lifestyle that was purposeful and rough and tough. When i was 13 i got into some bad situations and had teen angst. So to fix it ii tried to fight fire with fire by becoming runaway once and then twice until i did it on a strangely annually basis. My teen misadventures would last anywhere from a couple weeks to months. Each time i would try a different adventure/course. Age 13 was Greyhound. Age 14 was walking, trespassing, breaking in and failed hitchhiking. Age 15 and 16 was the climax; joy-riding, dumpster-diving, stealing food, hitchhiking, train hopping, riding with truckers and homeless city dwelling. However each time it had a disaster, i constantly had to hide, i was baby-faced so i always had to have a bulletproof story, i didn't know how to hitchhike and train hop, i was naive. Surprisingly i did not die. I was riding suicide on trains until a railroad worker taught me better and prevented me from dying of dehydration. When it came to hitchhiking i made some pretty bad mistakes to by trying to hitch in prostitute ridden areas. In the city i mistakenly trusted a Russian drunk immigrant and let him gain control of all my money. Then after being caught the last time and having been put on probation for other criminal activities i learned better and was completely disillusioned and disinterested in this lifestyle. By the time i turned 18 however the wanderlust came back and i realized that as long as i did it intelligently i could still gain a lot from the lifestyle. I am now striving to be as morally responsible as well and avoiding substances that cloud my thinking and judgement With a renewed and more mature perspective the lifestyle takes on new meaning and is much more fruitful. So whats your story? I am quite curious to hear it.

deleted user

Lurker
I deleted myself
Current Location
Cle Elum, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I lived on the streets off/on as a kid.

Spent a few years in some guy's basement reading thousands of books.

Found things I could change inside myself and others to accept.

I feel my journey is to find the people and places on a similar journey.

iONik

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
Reactions
70% 5% 24%
well for me it started when i went to tasmanian to see my dad. he moved down there after he split up with my mum. so i went to live with him on his yacht, had a great time for about 3 months then he ran out of money so we just went on without money. its was really fucked most the time had to learn to get over all the why me bullshit... i eventually learnt that feeling sorry for ya self doesnt get shit done. we first started out mostly fishing then later on i taught my self to trap, started raiding apple farms and other vegie farms. so we did that for about 5 months through Autumn till late winter till we had trouble the the tassie pigs so we decided to sail to sydney it took us about 6 up the east coast of tasmania to bicheno there we raided 2 sheep then headed out for the bass straight.

This was probably the hardest thing ive ever endured its was freezing cold when we left the north east tip of tas blowing about 30 knots gusting 35 and i was worried as fuck about getting blown out to New Zealand. so we made it throught the night and ended up near the far nor east coast of flinders island spent all day bobing around in a meter swell only doing 2 knots then a sea brezze came then we pushed for the main land slept most the night while my dad steered the boat then the next morning half way through the straight it was my turn to steer the yacht. this was probably the most spiritual moment ive had in my life so far... there i was cold hungry sailing in a dangerous straight watching the swell roll... albatrosses gilding over the crest of the waves its probably the most beautiful thing ive ever seen. then came wilsons promontory and the south east coast of victoria this was mostly boring as we got stuck in a 5 day high pressure system with light northerly winds so we starved for about 5 days then we caught some wind off Croajingolong National Park then made it to Eden in NSW and went ate some chips out of a trash can after 6 or 7 day starving

after that we made it so sydney bumed it there for 6 months just dumpster diving for food while staying on a abandoned jetty with views of the habour bridge till i got sick of it and had a fight with my dad. ended up in a youth refugee because i needed a break for a while... its was a weird experience being there lots of kids had some fucked up lives so that gave me some intersting perspective on the kids in refuges. after that i went back to western australia where my mum lives and stayed with her for 6 months until i meet with my dad after he rode his bike and hitched from sydney to perth (hes a weird farther) then went we meet up again we went and beach bummed in bunbury in southwestern australia for a while till i learnt about trains so i dragged him along with me on a trip to Melbourne and Adelaide that was pretty sick hanging in melbourne getting crazy dumpster hauls and just crusing the city... after that he wanted to come back west and here i am now wonder what to do next.

i moved to tasmania when i was 16 now im 18.

sorry if this is too much and about my shit writing.

big ups thats really awesome what you've done!

Last edited:

deleted user

Lurker
I deleted myself
Current Location
Cle Elum, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
spent my life sheltered and locked in a room while I pursued my hobbies, things like psychology, neuroscience, spirituality, aliens, and general anti-government shit.

I ran away a few times out of angst, then, after losing a good friend, a true sweetheart she is, I realized I had nothing left to hold on to, and so I let go.

I didn't understand it at first, but I've come to realize that this lifestyle gave me the most bang for my buck. even if I settle down, now, it's only to have a permanent home base, a nice shelter that I build myself. (homestead)

I won't ever stop traveling until I can't anymore.

deleted user

Lurker
I deleted myself
Current Location
Cle Elum, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
well for me it started when i went to tasmanian to see my dad. he moved down there after he split up with my mum. so i went to live with him on his yacht, had a great time for about 3 months then he ran out of money so we just went on without money. its was really fucked most the time had to learn to get over all the why me bullshit... i eventually learnt that feeling sorry for ya self doesnt get shit done. we first started out mostly fishing then later on i taught my self to trap, started raiding apple farms and other vegie farms. so we did that for about 5 months through Autumn till late winter till we had trouble the the tassie pigs so we decided to sail to sydney it took us about 6 up the east coast of tasmania to bicheno there we raided 2 sheep then headed out for the bass straight.

This was probably the hardest thing ive ever endured its was freezing cold when we left the north east tip of tas blowing about 30 knots gusting 35 and i was worried as fuck about getting blown out to New Zealand. so we made it throught the night and ended up near the far nor east coast of flinders island spent all day bobing around in a meter swell only doing 2 knots then a sea brezze came then we pushed for the main land slept most the night while my dad steered the boat then the next morning half way through the straight it was my turn to steer the yacht. this was probably the most spiritual moment ive had in my life so far... there i was cold hungry sailing in a dangerous straight watching the swell roll... albatrosses gilding over the crest of the waves its probably the most beautiful thing ive ever seen. then came wilsons promontory and the south east coast of victoria this was mostly boring as we got stuck in a 5 day high pressure system with light northerly winds so we starved for about 5 days then we caught some wind off Croajingolong National Park then made it to Eden in NSW and went ate some chips out of a trash can after 6 or 7 day starving

after that we made it so sydney bumed it there for 6 months just dumpster diving for food while staying on a abandoned jetty with views of the habour bridge till i got sick of it and had a fight with my dad. ended up in a youth refugee because i needed a break for a while... its was a weird experience being there lots of kids had some fucked up lives so that gave me some intersting perspective on the kids in refuges. after that i went back to western australia where my mum lives and stayed with her for 6 months until i meet with my dad after he rode his bike and hitched from sydney to perth (hes a weird farther) then went we meet up again we went and beach bummed in bunbury in southwestern australia for a while till i learnt about trains so i dragged him along with me on a trip to Melbourne and Adelaide that was pretty sick hanging in melbourne getting crazy dumpster hauls and just crusing the city... after that he wanted to come back west and here i am now wonder what to do next.

i moved to tasmania when i was 16 now im 18.

sorry if this is too much and about my shit writing.

big ups thats really awesome what you've done!

dude...

...this is the greatest story of how to start traveling. you're like the traveling chosen one.