Photos The Green Anarchists take on a bomb cyclone. (1 Viewer)

almondmilkboy

So me and @Des and flowerbomb (the writer) and another traveling buddy took on a bomb cyclone as we rode through northern Cali/ Southern Oregon, we woke up to rain that eventually turned into light snow and then we read on the radar while we we’re on seperate pig’s w/ wings that there will be -3 degree weather without windchill so.. we took it on.

As we we’re getting closer and closer to north Cali the weather was getting colder and colder and then we ended up in the middle of the cyclone the stopped so many times and the more and more it stopped the more and more snow pilled up on our packs and our instruments.
I couldn’t even peek out of my sleeping bag without snow covering my face either
At one point we thought we we’re going to freeze to death.
Everything was so wet and cold.

with the
72cce77d-4115-4587-beef-e478a35aad8a-jpeg.53631
a03b74d2-81e7-4289-8365-1f37a27f5890-jpeg.53632
windchill included the temperature finally stopped dropping at -10 degrees.

Attachments

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Hudson

Wanderer
This was lastnight? It was prettt cold in california lastnight but I don't know about below zero. That rarely happens in our passes.

Hudson

Wanderer
Yeah Shasta has some elevation on it; there were cars stuck on the donner pass all night last night. I've worked and backpacked in that kind of weather but I would not want to be on a train. That steel is cold man. Glad you survived.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya, this same type of storm hit northern AZ when I tried to hop out of Flagstaff last winter. By the time I caught out it was 3AM, 1.5 feet of snow on the ground, foot of snow in the mini well. 25 mph constant wind, -20 with wind chill. I hopped in a well and cleared the snow, got in my bag/bivy and tried not to freeze to death getting into the mohave.

Ended up going the wrong way to PHX and that 2 feet of snow on the train turned to heavy rain in the lower elevation, I was soakedand freezing, it was awful, an actual survival situation.

Those trains were still rockin' doing 70 mph passing each other in a blinding snowstorm. Fuckin' transcon....

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Also, ugh, I still dont get why people ride pigs. Especially during bad weather. They dont provide near enough shelter. I would way rather be on the clean side of a double stack or in a dupe.

Des

Rambler
Also, ugh, I still dont get why people ride pigs. Especially during bad weather. They dont provide near enough shelter. I would way rather be on the clean side of a double stack or in a dupe.
The pig actually provided pretty good cover for the most part, wheels covered us pretty good from the snowstorm as long as we stayed in the middle of the car. Was concerned about the buildup on a stack porch and since this was @almondmilkboy 's first train I wanted them to not ride alone. We didn't get the cyclone warning until we passed Sac either.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Yoooo that group photo is sick! Hell yeah for HxC winter riding. I'm heading out soon in the NE. Maybe see you out there later this season.

B Shoe

once you got up Mt. Shasta it dropped to -10.
Hmmm. Maybe if you climbed to the summit of Mount Shasta it got that cold. But down on the rail line it was in the 10-15 degrees above zero F range that coldest night. With the wind, though, it probably seemed much colder

Des

Rambler
Hmmm. Maybe if you climbed to the summit of Mount Shasta it got that cold. But down on the rail line it was in the 10-15 degrees above zero F range that coldest night. With the wind, though, it probably seemed much colder
It was -3 in K falls according to what we had seen and a bit colder between there and dunsmir but that was just via our phones

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
Even more reason for me to love yall <3 <3

Can't wait to meet the rest of the crew!

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Heard the roof blew off the library car at Black Butte during this same storm.