Completed / Resolved The great user culling is upon us! Or, well, it could be?

Should the great culling continue?

• Yes! Eliminate them!

Votes: 47 94.0%
  • No! I like staring at their vacant accounts...

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, I thought I'd pitch the idea to the community of deleting accounts that meet the following criteria:
  1. accounts with zero posts
  2. have not logged into the site since Jan 2015
Since these folks aren't really participating in the community, I figure it would be useful to our active users to remove them from the user list. This would free up the user names for use, and make the member list far more reasonable to browse through.

Again, this would be accounts that meet BOTH the criteria above. So if you've made one post, you're fine. If you've logged in since Jan 2015 and made zero posts, you're still fine.

This would lower the amount of registered accounts from about 15,000 to 5,000.

what do you think? good idea? bad idea? vote in the poll!

Current Location
Holtville, CA
Maybe blast them an email first, giving 30 days to login or post. Who knows, it might bring in a few active users who've been off traveling and simply forgot about the site but now have something to share.

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Current Location
Maybe blast them an email first, giving 30 days to login or post. Who knows, it might bring in a few active users who've been off traveling and simply forgot about the site but now have something to share.
how do you forget for 3 years tho?

Current Location
Holtville, CA
how do you forget for 3 years tho?
It's possible. I first met Matt in 2011 and forgot about the site until I finally joined in 2016. I'm sure there's sites around that I've joined and not been active on for 3 years that I might be inclined to participate in if I remembered them. I'm assuming they get those most popular threads this week emails though.. so maybe it won't bring anyone in. Nonetheless, some sort of warning wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Current Location
New York
While the Zero-activity I can side with, the second point I really cannot.
Is it possible we might have the profiles, and lst contributions of folks who've passed-away, and that this may infact be their last, or perhaps even best expressions in their lives?
On another site I belong to we faced the same challenge.
Their profiles, and their contributions/writings/pictures might be the sole place for any of it, anywhere, and I'd be upset to loose them.
I advise we proceed very carefully with this.

Hey folks, I thought I'd pitch the idea to the community of deleting accounts that meet the following criteria:
  1. accounts with zero posts
  2. have not logged into the site since Jan 2015
Since these folks aren't really participating in the community, I figure it would be useful to our active users to remove them from the user list. This would free up the user names for use, and make the member list far more reasonable to browse through.

Again, this would be accounts that meet BOTH the criteria above. So if you've made one post, you're fine. If you've logged in since Jan 2015 and made zero posts, you're still fine.

This would lower the amount of registered accounts from about 15,000 to 5,000.

what do you think? good idea? bad idea? vote in the poll!

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
While the Zero-activity I can side with, the second point I really cannot.
Is it possible we might have the profiles, and lst contributions of folks who've passed-away, and that this may infact be their last, or perhaps even best expressions in their lives?
On another site I belong to we faced the same challenge.
Their profiles, and their contributions/writings/pictures might be the sole place for any of it, anywhere, and I'd be upset to loose them.
I advise we proceed very carefully with this.
you should really re-read item #1 in the OP.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Whoops! Sorry, I reacted too quickly! I saw the alert, and it just invoked in me the same passions. On the other site I mentioned: we nearly lost the last records of some spectacular folks whom we don't want to loose!
no problem, yeah i'm very particular about making sure content here on StP is archived for as long as possible :D

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
So, when I was crunching the numbers in my first post, I made the mistake of not specifying only users with zero posts; I only searched for accounts that had not logged in in the past 3 years. Including this criteria this time around, this has reduced the number of accounts that will be deleted from some 9,000 or so to 4,080. That's why it's always important for me to double-check these things :)

So, I've removed those accounts today. This has reduced the number of registered users from 15,719 to 11,639.