The Ghosts of Burwash Prison (1 Viewer)

r3yn

Hometown
China / Canada
This last summer I took my friend from 中国 around East Klanada. I had heard stories for years about the mysterious Burwash Prison. Some said it was haunted because of the hidden abuse to prisoners and a tragedy that happened there, and had to close down. Others said it was sold to the Canadian Army and they used it for training, but not for years due to some mystery..... Not all true, but not all false, either.

burwash-2-jpg.54236
burwash-png.54237

Burwash Prison (Camp Bison) actually held up to 800 prisoners, and a town was created to support the prison, equipped with all the trappings of any small Ontario town -- church, general store, post office, nosy people too involved in your affairs, an unspoken feud between the French and English, etc. Inmates would make the bread and even shave the prison guards.... not to mention they made all the benches and tables for Ontario's provincial parks, and probably a great deal more. Actually, it sounded like it could have easily become an intentional community / eco-village. Thousands of people lived their lives there from 1914 to 1975. The town of Burwash was now erased from the land, and the lives and history of the place were forsaken by time and the growth of the bush....

My friend had never done any UE, and so I figured Burwash would be a great intro and also let me explore some old forgotten government history, too.
When I first started researching Burwash, I quickly found out that it was actually now under ownership / management of two guys. "Camp Bison Prison Farm" as it was called, now had a website about accessing the place, and mostly just tried to scare away thieves (and potential urban explorers) -- unless you paid to go there. I still don't know how to feel about this, as the owners don't actually provide any service, and really the waiver is just to cover their own asses. Honestly, you can easily just use SatMaps (Google Earth) and follow your way in there from Highway 69.

map-png.54215

The road is just gravel and then rutted, unkempt roads that ends at the perpendicularly traveling CN rail line that goes up to Sudbury (the reason for most of these towns and cities across Ontarrible, actually).

We arrived at the tracks, left the truck, crawled under a grainer, and started wandering down the trail, south-west...

img_20190816_190428-jpg.54238

img_20190816_170300-jpg.54217
img_20190816_182607-jpg.54218

The trail was still pretty wide and easy to walk, but in a few places it was flooded or really muddy. As always in Ontario, the worst part were the bugs. Hordes of mosquitoes and deerflies and horseflies swarmed us almost immediately and didn't relent their strafing runs at our heads. I had lent a bug jacket to my friend to wear, and honestly, in Ontario's spring or summer it's essential (especially for someone who isn't used to the bush). Almost an hour later, we came around a corner and found an old farmer's gate...

img_20190816_170233-jpg.54219
img_20190816_170349-jpg.54220

We rounded the corner ... and there she was... windowless black windows peering out over a silent landscape. Camp Bison, Burwash Prison.....
Total stillness loomed ahead of us...

img_20190816_170811-jpg.54221
img_20190816_170916-jpg.54222

We reached the front door, and noted already the empty spray-cans and graffiti which seemed to almost grow out of the place like more of mother-nature's encroaching wilderness.

We went inside...

img_20190816_170938-jpg.54223

The place was definitely fucked up, and I suspected this was especially from 30-40 years of squat-camps and bush-parties, but some of it was definitely just from the weather.... and the building was definitely dangerous in places....

img_20190816_171142-jpg.54224

Some parts of the prison, especially the basement, were fucking terrifying. My friend didn't want to go down into the darkness, but eventually I convinced her (because actually I was too scared to go alone)...

Suddenly, she screamed!!! -----

She swore she saw a ghost......... a ghostly face in the darkness.....

We ran-the-fuck-back upstairs.

basement-2-png.54234
basement-png.54225
basement-3-png.54235

img_20190816_175537-jpg.54226

img_20190816_173757-jpg.54227

But really, the best part of the prison was the graffiti -- years and years of tags and rambling revolutionary thoughts of punks and schizoid spirals of some Jesus-freak, it was fascinating to follow the threads going back years and years, sometimes hilarious, and really beautiful, too.....

img_20190816_171703-jpg.54228
1579456080963-jpeg.54229

img_20190816_172622-jpg.54230
img_20190816_173542-jpg.54231

And of course, in typical North-Ontarian fashion, Buddy-Bear-Arms came up to the roof and had a bit of skeet shoot. Looks like alot of fun with a 12 gauge -- maybe would have been better to take the spent shells out with him, but then again, it's kind of interesting to see up there, too.

*THOW! -- THOW! -- THOW!*

img_20190816_174958-jpg.54233

Eventually the sun was starting to get low, and we knew we still had an hour-plus-hike out to the truck.

Goodbye Burwash.

Next time, I want to go back with a group of wild folks and have some drinks and a fire, and dance around with the ghosts and the mosquitoes...

img_20190816_180236-jpg.54232

Attachments

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

WanderLost

Hometown
South
Nice dude. I put this place on my list of places I might check out. Nice writing and pics, and I'm glad you mentioned the bug problem too.
Just wanna say its better to cross trains at the ends rather than under. Its easier and safer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
I think your buddy Bukowski put it best Sundays kill more men than bombs
BBQ with STP homies in portland, feeling peaceful
I only feel good when I'm outside, but I gotta stay inside to get school work done.
It's a full-time job to be a good dad
You got so much more stuff than I had
I gotta study just to keep with the changin times
101 Dalmations on your CD-ROM
See me-I'm
Tryin to pretend I know
On my PC where that CD go
i have covid19 can you house me up
Georgia is now lockdown. Let's see if my dumbass neighbors will go out for their drugs.
MFB wrote on LuckyMinnie's profile.
Dooder, Your doggo is EARristable! ;)
Holding treats, yo!