The Dirty Scouts Jamboree 2020 organizing thread! (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks! I'm excited to announce that we are having the next Dirty Scouts Jamboree in a new and very exciting location! This year we will be taking sailboats out to Cypress Island to a free campground around the first week of August (exact date to be determined). We have three very generous sailors willing to use their boats to ferry folks out there, and the area itself is gorgeous! @iamwhatiam @EphemeralStick and myself scouted out this location last year and took the some photos:

sj15-jpg.54195

I borrowed this image from @iamwhatiam's write up of the area that you can read here to get a better idea of the location!

20190728_170748-jpg.54187

20190728_172418-jpg.54188

20190728_172456-jpg.54189

20190728_172637-jpg.54190

20190728_174715-jpg.54191

We even were able to drop some crab pots and eat some delicious crab out there, and I'm sure we'll be able to do the same at the jamboree:

20190728_185906-jpg.54193

sj7-jpg.54196

So just like previous years, this thread is to get things started on organizing what we want to happen at this year's jamboree and see who would like to get involved. We'll be pooling resources and money for food, booze, fuel for the boats, and anything else we might need. We're especially interested in anyone that wants to do any workshops or skillshares and folks that want to play music :)

So let's get to brainstorming this year's jamboree! Share your thoughts in the comments and once we've nailed down more of the specifics, I'll make an official thread outlining the meet up location, dates, events, and supplies folks should expect to bring for the weekend.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

CrowTheBard

Pilgrim
Hometown
Lopez Island
First 😜
I’m super excited about this! These are my local cruising grounds and am very excited about sharing it with as many folks as possible! I’m available to help anyone whom needs it.
Fair winds!

cheers,
Crow

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
i was thinking we should have another 'travel stories' competition like we did a few years back... basically just people tell their best stories of the road and we award some prizes to the winners. i might see if we can make some special badges for this event...

Hometown
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Website
www.youtube.com
i was thinking we should have another 'travel stories' competition like we did a few years back... basically just people tell their best stories of the road and we award some prizes to the winners. i might see if we can make some special badges for this event...
Just my 2 cents, how about 30L backpack? Travel fanny pack? I know it may cost more!

Last edited:

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Hometown
Foothills of the Cascades, western WA
@Matt Derrick
I keep my boat out of Bellingham in the summer, but it's twice as far away as Anacortes, WA. Anacortes is the closest town, most easily accessible, for everyone to meet. I don't mind sailing down there the night before if we all wanted to meet there.

Cap Sante Marina would be the best marina to meet at because there is a Safeway literally a block or two away to stock up on food supplies and booze. A small dog park right by the marina to let anybody with dogs to burn off some steam off leash before the voyage. There's a few bars within walking distance. Hell, there's even a Vagabond Station food truck (a sign perhaps??) 10 blocks or so south if you wanted a greasy hamburger before heading out.

The only drawback I can see, is that the city of Anacortes has this deal where you are only allowed to leave your car parked, in one spot, on a city street for up to 72 hours. The Jambo won't be longer than 3 days tho right? There is parking at Cap Sante Marina, but unlike Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham where you and Andy parked when you visited, they charge nightly for parking.

What say ye @CrowTheBard ???

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

MFB
Bored and organizing travel videos.
Alaska <3
I miss being young and indestructible!
Social distancing? Try traveling - whether it is a tramp van, a train or even a bike.
Favorite thing to do during an apocalypse??
First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!
Matt Derrick wrote on snailormoon's profile.
aww i really like your new profile picture.

Members online