The Cane

E

Endy

I've been walking with a hickory cane for awhile now, not just because I have a limp but because despite it's image as an assistive medical device, it's a handy weapon. Now if you get one of those light weight aluminum deals, forget about it. But a good, solid wooden cane is three feet of pain for anyone who gets in your face.

It also has some distinct advantages over more 'traditional' weapons such as knives, guns, mace / OC spray.

1. It's a cane. You are not going to get shit from the Man for carrying a cane unless you tell him that you carry it to hit people, or you beat the shit out of someone with it without justification. If they take it away and you then fall and hurt yourself, they have a lawsuit on their hands because it's a medical device. It helps if you actually need the cane for getting around.

2. Reach. Most knives, at the very longest, are going to be around 8 inches. You have 36 inches to work with. A solid smack to the knee or wrist will give most people pause unless they are really intent on gutting your ass. I'm speaking from experience here. The outside of the knee, the meniscus (sp? anatomy?) or whatever is a great target. Just remember to follow through when you swing. They won't be running after you.

3. It's good for other shit. You can use it for a variety of things. That hook is useful for lots of stuff, it can be used as a lever in a pinch and it helps with walking. Even if you don't have a limp / aren't a gimp.

However the cane also has some disadvantages:

1. It's a cane. If you've been on the street you know the scumbags look for people who are weak. People with canes are generally weaker than those who do not need canes. This might make you more of a target. Alright, it WILL make you more of a target. Be aware.

2. It's three feet long and it's one more fucking thing you need to carry.

3. If someone takes your cane away from you, they now have a three foot stick to beat the shit out of you with. And if you need that cane to walk you're probably not running very far.

In any event, if you're looking for something that won't get you hassled by the Man look into getting a solid wooden cane. I've found it to be an excellent deterrent on the road. Then again I also carry sabre red OC spray and a knife.

Just in case.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Interesting read. I know a lot of hikers who walk with poles, but I also know many people downtown who walk with a cane - some to help them, others as it is a rest but a potential guard off weapon. I managed a bar several years ago in a nasty neighborhood and I read in the paper that one of my customers who walked home after midnight (I used to lock my doors around then as people would walk by and peruse my place) and the same guy who walked by my place several times tried to rob my customer a couple blocks away from me --- my customer (an older gentleman) beat the snot out of this guy - especially after pulling a knife out of the cane. Cops were called - got the robber, my customer was fine.

SoooOoooOOo my old customer had a cane with a surprise!!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads