The Bike Topic

wartomods

Reaction score
As i've seen lately there has been a rise in the number of bicycle related threads, so i created this topic for everyone who has any bike related question, wants sugestions or advices, i would glady answer, i consider myself a bike afficionado, i worked previously in a bike shop.

Mor

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going on a long bike ride this summer and want to take along the smallest amount of cargo along.

On previous rides clothes seemed to take up the most space/weight so I'm trying to figure out clothing items with many different functions.

One of the main pieces of concern is shorts. I know that a nice pair of padded lycra will help me go miles and miles but they don't really win too many style points or help the ol' crotch breathe well. They're also not very durable for hiking/bushwacking.

I recently bought a pair of leather pants that I cut down into shorts. I've been toying with the idea of using them as an all-around wear-everywhere piece of clothing for the summer.

Any thoughts on this? would they be way too hot? Anyone have experience with leather clothes? Or leather bike seats even? How breathable are they?

wartomods

Reaction score
spandex/lycra shorts or thighs can really make a difference , if you are one of those people who are accostumed already to riding in those, i would recommend to have a pair, they are not heavy or chunky at all, but you can also opt for other things, many folks doing long tours that dont have love for spandex they usually wear some kind of khaki shorts. It is a light fabric, but at the same time it offers good resistence. I would not opt for leather, because it could create some chaffing issues, unless they are made of some super supple, broken in, leather. but anyways leather gets hot with direct sun light and doesnt breath very well.

Basicly get some kind of hiking shorts, and then some seamless briefs and a seat that fits you.

trotsky

Reaction score
Anybody know about tuning up derailluers? I googled around and found out about the set screws but no matter what I do it either gets too tight to shift all the way up/down or so loose the chain falls off when I shift up.

wartomods

Reaction score
i suppose it is the rear derailer and i will suppose it is a friction one (that means it is not indexed , you just push/pull/rotate till it engages), usually in most kinds of derailures there are two screws that limit the travel of the coil, set them so the arm of the derailer goes within the the space of the cogs, so that the arm doesnt pass the biggest cog or the smallest cog. Then let the arm rest with the cables loose and with the sifter in the lower position, so the cable comes down all the way it can, pull it till it has some tension and tighten it to the derailer. It should be done.

wartomods

Reaction score
if it gets too tight, try to give some more slack in the lowest gearings. Just make sure the set screws are right, that means the arm can move ( try with your hand) between all cogs.

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
For me on long-ish trips I've never used the whole lycra shorts or anything I usually wear whatever I usually wear with a butt flap I made it's two layers of cloth with duct tape sewn in between to keep it water proof. It's pretty comfy and all but if you move around a lot on your seat you need to stand on your pedals every now and then and pull it under you. It's not the best solution but I have the butt flap on all the time anyway so I don't feel like I need anything else.

wartomods

Reaction score
let me share this little cyclist secret, lycra shorts are meant to be used without underwear, thats why the chamois/padthing is important. it isnt really necessary if you are ride with underwear and normal shorts, especially if you have a suitable seat. all you need for a confortable seating in prolonged journeys is a good seat that supports the sitbones, so the soft flesh doesnt get pressure.

EastCoast315

Reaction score
I'm toying around with the idea of just continuous cycle touring, like not just a big trip, but as a lifestyle, maybe for a few years. Stealth camp every night, work as needed, just basically a tramp with 2 wheels. What bike (under $400-$500) would be durable enough, light enough, comfortable enough, and cheap enough for an application like that?

Also, for up north, how hard would it be to carry 12 gage on a bike?

wartomods

Reaction score

wartomods

Reaction score
and no bike is durable enough for a years of travelling, you still need to do the maintenence and change parts according to your needs

Mor

Reaction score
spandex/lycra shorts or thighs can really make a difference , if you are one of those people who are accostumed already to riding in those, i would recommend to have a pair, they are not heavy or chunky at all, but you can also opt for other things, many folks doing long tours that dont have love for spandex they usually wear some kind of khaki shorts. It is a light fabric, but at the same time it offers good resistence. I would not opt for leather, because it could create some chaffing issues, unless they are made of some super supple, broken in, leather. but anyways leather gets hot with direct sun light and doesnt breath very well.

Basicly get some kind of hiking shorts, and then some seamless briefs and a seat that fits you.

Thanks. I'm just going to stick with simple briefs and light swimtrunks on top.
And then invest in a high end seat of some kind.. most likely a brooks b17

I found this page: Rivendell Bicycle Works: Special clothes for riding?

All about just riding in regular everyday clothes... It's so simple it makes sense!

Mor

Reaction score
I'm toying around with the idea of just continuous cycle touring, like not just a big trip, but as a lifestyle, maybe for a few years. Stealth camp every night, work as needed, just basically a tramp with 2 wheels. What bike (under $400-$500) would be durable enough, light enough, comfortable enough, and cheap enough for an application like that?

Also, for up north, how hard would it be to carry 12 gage on a bike?

A 12 gauge!?
You could simply mount it on your top tube!

I like the idea you have of living on your bike for years.
I rode my bike over 6 months and could've gone longer but I didn't rest enough and was a bit burned out on everything. It would be good to ride for a couple months maximum and then find a job or vollunteer for awhile and then continue on again.

As for a bike that will last you and be a comfortable ride I have only one suggestion: steel.
Ride a steel frame. Whether it be a roadbike, mtn bike, hybrid... make sure it's steel.

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
electrolytes
+
Novara Padded Cycle Boxers - Men's at REI.com
+
eurostyle_chamois_buttr.jpg

(if you're planning on riding 50+ in a day)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads