Completed / Resolved The Anarchist's Guide to Travel

Would you be interested in pre-ordering this book?

• Yes, I trust you to finish it!

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • No, I don't wanna get burned.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll wait for it to be finished before buying.

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Hey folks! Some of you might remember that I started this thread as a way of polling the StP community and seeing if writing a how-2 guide for underground travel would be something people would be interested in. Despite putting it off for well over a year, I'm proud to say that I am once again working on this book while I'm living in Slab City.

What's the book about?

This book will be an introduction to the travel punk underground. Aimed mostly at beginners, it will have chapters about what to pack, different travel methods, (train hopping, hitchhiking, van dwelling, sailing, etc) destinations and events, and a very important chapter on behavior and ethics. The goal is to answer the most common questions new travelers have while having enough new info to interest veteran travelers as well.

My goal with this book is to influence the next generation of travelers and to educate those that are interested in our lifestyle. I'd really like to see an influx of people into the travel punk lifestyle that aren't destructive idiots, and that can grow and enrich our community to make it even better.

Keep in mind this book is being designed from the beginning as an introduction to the lifestyle, so it's definitely not going to spoon feed you everything you need to know, but instead give a brief overview of most kinds of travel and how to do them. I'll definitely be including resources where readers can find additional information if they want to know more.

For example, writing a complete guide to sailing will be outside the scope of this book, and other people have written books on the subject far better than I could. I will however attempt to introduce you to the concepts of sailing, why you should do it, and how to do it on the diy punk level.

What's in the book?

Here's an outline of the current book structure, including all chapters. Keep in mind this is definitely going to change, especially towards the end of the book, as I'm adding and moving chapters around all the time. I'll try and post updates of this outline when it's appropriate.

1 Forward
1.1 Forward by Magpie Killjoy

2 Introduction
2.1 How I Started Traveling
2.2 Why I Wrote This Book
2.3 Who This Book Is For
2.4 Why Should You Travel?
2.5 What is Travel Punk?
2.6 Disclaimer

3 What should I pack?
3.1 Gearing Up
3.2 Weather
3.3 Shopping Tips
3.4 Clothing
3.5 Backpacks
3.6 Sleeping Gear
3.7 Portable Shelters
3.8 Knives
3.9 Tools
3.10 Stoves & Cookware
3.11 Food
3.12 Technology
3.13 Entertainment
3.14 Musical Instruments
3.15 Hygiene
3.16 Documents
3.17 Shipping Stuff
3.18 Miscellaneous

4 Ettiquite / Behavior
4.1 Oogles & Assholes
4.2 Spanging
4.3 Being Aware of Privilege
4.4 Sex & Relationships
4.5 How to (not) tell your parents

5 Staying Fed
5.1 American Excess & Waste
5.2 Dumpster Diving
5.3 Food Stamps
5.4 Food Banks
5.5 Food Kitchens
5.6 Food scams?

6 Sleep for Free
6.1 Squatting
6.2 Stealth Camping
6.3 Couch Surfing
6.4 House Sitting
6.5 Warm showers?
6.6 Migrant Work

7 Making Money
7.1 Job Boards for Travelers
7.2 The Six Month Work Shift
7.3 flying signs
7.4 busking
7.5 Banks & Credit Cards

8 Where to?
8.1 Researching Destinations
8.2 Urban Exploration
8.3 Guide to Annual Events
8.4 Brief Guide to the USA

9 Hitchhiking

10 Train Hopping

11 Rubber Tramping
11.1 Vehicle Types
11.2 Insurance
11.3 Boondocking
11.4 Stealth Camping

12 Bike Punk / Bike Touring

13 Boat Punk / Punk Sailing
13.1 What is Boat Punk?
13.2 Special Equipment

14 Other Forms of Travel
14.1 Why 'Travel Hacking' is Bullshit
14.2 Scams & Deals
14.3 Flying Tactics

15 Life Off the Road

16 Traveling as POC / LGBT

When will it be finished?

I'm working very hard on finishing this book by the end of the year. It's possible it might bleed over into January, but that's the window I'm shooting for. As of today (November 7th, 2016) it's about 30% finished, and looking to be around 200+ pages. The first three chapters are complete (minus a few small edits).

How much will it cost?

It will be available as an ebook and physical copies will be available through Amazon. The price is not set in stone yet (I gotta figure out Amazon's fees and whatnot) but I'm hoping to keep it around $10 for the ebook and $15 for physical copies.

I am going to try and support a sliding scale price structure for the ebook, but unfortuately it won't be possible to do so with physical copies since these will be printed 'on demand' by Amazon's Create Space service. I'm going with this method because it seems to be the easiest way to get physical copies to those interested without having to invest a ton of money on buying 1000 copies and mailing them myself.

Can I make a suggestion?

Absolutely! In fact, I'm depending on your input to make this the most complete guide possible, so please, send me your suggestions!

Can I pre-order this book?

I'm considering pre-orders mostly because I need the funds to buy additional books for research purposes (I'm poor!). If you're interested in pre-ordering please vote in the poll above! If there's enough interest I'll find a way to make that happen.

Thanks for reading this and I hope you like the book when it's finished!

Frodo

Wayfarer
Threads
Current Location
Plymouth, United States
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
yeah id probably get it. i like collecting train hopper books on my shelf.

Threads
Current Location
Monterey CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Dang this would be hella helpful for someone like me. I hope you finish it, I'd definitely purchase a copy.

Threads
Current Location
Everywhere
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Cool

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Threads
Current Location
171 Market St, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Reactions
89% 1% 10%
I think you should put it in stores, barnes and nobles.. Find a serious publisher dude.. and remember, overpriced things sell. ask high, take no quarters and give none. Make it epic.

O

outlawloose

I deleted myself
Definitely do it.
My advice is find someone to edit and fact check it. I've found some of your other writing to be convoluted, confusing to read, and on the occasion misinformed.
Dont let that put you off though! Make it the best thing you've published yet

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Definitely do it.
My advice is find someone to edit and fact check it. I've found some of your other writing to be convoluted, confusing to read, and on the occasion misinformed.
Dont let that put you off though! Make it the best thing you've published yet
Thanks for your honest opinion, I could use people like yourself to give edits/feedback. Maybe I could send an advance reader copy when it's ready?

And thanks to everyone else for the encouragement!

O

outlawloose

I deleted myself
Thanks for your honest opinion, I could use people like yourself to give edits/feedback. Maybe I could send an advance reader copy when it's ready?

And thanks to everyone else for the encouragement!
You're welcome, Matt. I hate giving negative criticism on someone else's passion project, so Im glad you took it the right way.
You're welcome to send me a draft when you're ready. Im no linguist (although my Ma is by profession - I might be able to send her a copy if she has time), but I will do my best to offer advice where I can.
When you've done a complete full draft of the project Id recommend sending it to a select few people you trust offer feedback. I wouldn't recommend crowdsourcing to help in the editing process – ie, asking the whole internet/StP community. Decision by committee is known to create indecision and ill informed, watered down advice.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Just a quick update, the first four chapters are finished, and i recently did a page count and i'm around 150 pages so far. at this rate i'm thinking the book will be at least 300 pages when it's finished.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
the idea has been suggested, but personally i feel like it's better to include all the relevant information in one tome, rather than string it out into a bunch of little books.

as for a series based on countries (since the info in my book is mostly usa-centric), this is a possibility if i can get enough first hand experiences to do follow up volumes, such as 'the anarchist's guide to europe', 'mexico' etc.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Another update, i'm almost finished with chapter 5 "making money" and i'm going to be posting an updated outline of the book here shortly since i've moved some stuff around.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
updated outline. this is almost 100% guaranteed to change :p

1 Forward
1.1 Forward by Magpie Killjoy

2 Introduction
2.1 How I Started Traveling
2.2 Why I Wrote This Book
2.3 Who This Book Is For
2.4 Why Should You Travel?
2.5 Facing Your Fears
2.6 What is Travel Punk?
2.7 Disclaimer

3 What should I pack?
3.1 Gearing Up
3.2 Weather
3.3 Shopping Tips
3.4 Clothing
3.5 Backpacks
3.6 Sleeping Gear
3.7 Portable Shelters
3.8 Knives
3.9 Tools
3.10 Stoves & Cookware
3.11 Food
3.12 Technology
3.13 Entertainment
3.14 Musical Instruments
3.15 Hygiene
3.16 Documents
3.17 Shipping Stuff

4 Feeding Yourself
4.1 Excess & Waste
4.2 Dumpster Diving
4.3 Food Stamps
4.4 Food Banks & Soup Kitchens
4.5 Food Not Bombs
4.6 When All Else Fails
4.7 Shopping for Food

5 Sleep for Free
5.1 Avoiding Rent
5.2 Couch Surfing
5.3 Stealth Camping
5.4 Squatting
5.5 Wilderness Squatting
5.6 Hostels & Hotels
5.7 Between Travels
5.8 Other Options

6 Making Money
6.1 Saving Money
6.2 Working in Shifts
6.3 Seasonal Jobs
6.4 Migrant Farm Work
6.5 Panhandling
6.6 Busking
6.7 Self Employment
6.8 Strange Jobs
6.9 Banks & Credit Cards

^^^ this much has been written, below i'll be getting to soon.

7 Behavior / Etiquette
7.1 Introduction
7.2 Vetting Possible Travel Partners
7.3 Oogles & Assholes
7.4 Being Aware of Privilege
7.5 Sex & Relationships
7.6 How to (not) tell your parents
7.7 dealing with the police

8 Where to?
8.1 Researching Destinations
8.2 Urban Exploration
8.3 Guide to Annual Events
8.4 Brief Guide to the USA

9 Ch 10 - Hitchhiking

10 Train Hopping
10.1 A short guide to train hopping

11 Rubber Tramping
11.1 Ch 12 - Rubber Tramping
11.2 Vehicle Types
11.3 Insurance
11.4 Boondocking
11.5 Stealth Camping

12 Bike Punk / Bike Touring
12.1 Community Bike Projects

13 Boat Punk / Punk Sailing
13.1 What is Boat Punk?
13.2 Special Equipment

14 Other Forms of Travel
14.1 Why 'Travel Hacking' is Bullshit
14.2 Scams & Deals
14.3 Flying Tactics

15 Life Off the Road

16 Ch XX - Mintorities?

Threads
Current Location
Albuquerque, United States
Website
www.fireandsliceproductions.com
Reactions
97% 3% 0%
@Matt Derrick if you want material on being a parent on the road, let me and @bluebadgerblue know. The experience of parenting a school-age child while rubber tramping for over a year has been very educational. When we did an interview online for a popular page, we discovered that even some within the vandweller community have extremely judgemental reactions sometimes when children are involved, and there is a legal minefield to watch out for.

Threads
Current Location
Hebron, Ohio
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
@Matt Derrick if you want material on being a parent on the road, let me and @bluebadgerblue know. The experience of parenting a school-age child while rubber tramping for over a year has been very educational. When we did an interview online for a popular page, we discovered that even some within the vandweller community have extremely judgemental reactions sometimes when children are involved, and there is a legal minefield to watch out for.
How shitty is it that in "the land of the free" people are not allowed to raise kids in a more healthier fashion than what society has formed. Haven't even met you two, but I've seen the interview you've done with bob, and clearly, you're doing nothing wrong, in my opinion bettering you lives and your child's. I hope you are documenting your life as well and write a book one day.

Threads
Current Location
Albuquerque, United States
Website
www.fireandsliceproductions.com
Reactions
97% 3% 0%
How shitty is it that in "the land of the free" people are not allowed to raise kids in a more healthier fashion than what society has formed. Haven't even met you two, but I've seen the interview you've done with bob, and clearly, you're doing nothing wrong, in my opinion bettering you lives and your child's. I hope you are documenting your life as well and write a book one day.
LOL, I'm really amazed at how many people saw the interview (It's not online anymore, but we may make another one with him). I've met quite a few people this year who recognized us from it and had lots of good things to say about it.

Threads
Current Location
Amsterdam
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Sounds interesting. I do a lot of proofing and editing at work if you want to run it by someone external. will buy regardless!

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Threads
Current Location
Victoria BC
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I will deffo get a copy. Good resource to keep in the backpack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Leo
Finished working in Dutch Harbor. In Anchorage for now.
A bottle in one hand
A joint in the other
A scar on my heart
I carve another
You ever just look at a word and it freaks you out because it's spelled right but you start thinking on some meta shit how does this noise mean this concept? 'Smooth' freaks me out right now.
Sleipnir wrote on Gaucho Deluxe's profile.
is there a reason you down voted my post? it was on topic, and the people there were pretty horrible. so unless you were one if them, im confused
AAAutin wrote on roughdraft's profile.
Uhhh...HOW'S PERU?
If you CAN get a (foot) massage, you SHOULD.
Quit a job after 3 days, due to ignorant, rape-culture enabled co-workers. Got another job lined up!
why do people come on this site just to behave like assholes ? is there some perverse satisfaction in irritating a whole community of people ? \/ \/ \/ (not you Shaggy, the fool below you) \/ \/ \/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
fimbulvetr