The 99% doesn't mean anything to us....We are the 0%!!!!

Miles

Reaction score
This entire Occupy Wall Street has been coming for a long long time. But what does it really mean to homeless folks. We never really counted anyways. We have always been the 0%. Ever since the entire tramping thing took off in the 1930s unemployed youths have been traveling the country trying to find their place in a dog eat dog world. Working and eeking out an existence while the tax masters of the world benefited. Then the sixties hit and folks just started just plain dropping out and neutralizing them selves with "sex drugs and rock n roll". The tramp movement continued on thru the 70's and 80's with disenfranchised Vietnam vets joining the ranks. In the 90’s and 00’s it became an alternative to the yuppie ass world that so many have been conformed to. But the whole time homeless folks were always just looked down on by the people who are now starting to get pissed off at the same folks that always had their heels in are back the whole time. We never counted and all of a sudden a bunch of sunny day liberals get off their Ikea couches and hit the streets. We are the 0%. We never wanted anymore in to this broke down society. We just want a simple life where we can live how we want to live. There is no political party that represents us. We have been occupying the streets for a long time and all these yippies are new comers. What do you think?

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think you're off point on a number of levels. For starters, the claim "we are the 0%" makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You use "we" meaning there are people involved or in percentage terms, those people are numbers. You can't have numbers of a whole or larger number being 0%, that just doesn't make sense. Maybe those people don't look like you or hang out where you hang out or do the shit you do but they're fighting a good fight. Yeah, you're a travelling kid right, so you don't give a fuck about any of this right... well how are your parents doing? Do they own a home? Did they before that shit was foreclosed on? How about your brothers and sisters, cousins? Surely someone in your family is getting bent over somehow by those greedy fucks, everyone is.. that's why it's called the 99% because 99% are being fucked by the other 1%. I highly doubt all the people you care about fall in the 1% and there is no such thing as 0% as I've already explained.

I think if the 1% could see what you've written here they'd be licking their lips. The best way to win a war is to get those you're fighting to divide forces and fight amongst themselves. There's really only two sides to this man, don't try to wedge in a third. They've already been trying that themselves with their propaganda about the missing middle aged scene and then sending in people to cause problems and violence to give this movement a bad image. Pick a side and do what you can or stfu imo.

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
all i have to say is oh punx kids with their ranting and roving... when will it end.

i understand the frustration tenfold, but it won't hurt to take a step back and take a new look at the world around you. if you plan on diving something such as the 99, which is actually making a difference and opening the publics eyes, then you're just feeding into every corporate and government trap ever created.

Reactions: Jimmy Beans
E

Earth

Those who choose to live on the fringe get no sympathy from me just as I laugh my ass off when the rich pigs loose their wealth when the markets fall, or ponzi schemes collapse. Only folks I dig are those supporting themselves and helping others when possible. At first I viewed this whole occupy thing as a bunch of trust fund kids bored with life, but now I'm damn proud of those folks protesting. Once I get laid off, I'll be doing the same. We all make our own choices at some point in life. Sometimes it works, sometime's it don't... sometimes it leads one to a totally different path be it by or not by choice. Either way, we're still - like it or not - dependant on everybody else to some extent or another - hence the 99% - and the pigs at the top - the 1% - have become a little too greedy if you ask me. I pray these protests bring about a revolution that will change this huge gap between rich and poor. Money is not my God.... (killing joke)

Miles

Reaction score
I understand the entire point that you folks have made about keeping the movement in one solid formation. And I have seen how the major news networks have already tried to discredit this movement by showing the more radical and unintelligent ramblings of drunken street folks. I am not trying to divide this move movement. To the good engineer who commented on m topic, this isn't about me. This is about all of us. And when I mentioned up the "we" word I meant the people who have been if not labeled by there own choice then by the courts and departments of corrections as "undesirable". The folks on the street are fighting the good fight to end corporate influence in our government True. But my point is when it is all said and done if you have a tattoo on your face or a nasty criminal record you’re still not getting a fair shake in this economy. A felon doesn't even get to vote any more. So how are they counted in the system? The only rebuttal to that I guess would be to go out in the streets and protest. I hear that one coming form a mile a way. But where would that get them? They get a violation of parole terms and more time thrown away. So when you a person is so quick to say "Oh those crazy punk rockers..." isn't that driving a wedge into the movement. I am not trying to divide anybody in this. I am concered about the where the people who live on the fringes of society will fit. The people who never counted anyways.

acrata4ever

Reaction score
if 11% control the majority of wealth then its really 89% and half those 89% dont even care and are really not suffering so youre looking at more 45%. its just another lie repeated over and over until you believe it to be true. like 80 is the new 50. or everyone will die in 2012 so lets max out those credit cards. or your vote really counts. if you dont max out those cards and go into debt the terrorists win. well they did and the terrorists on on the federal reserve payroll.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
This entire Occupy Wall Street has been coming for a long long time. But what does it really mean to homeless folks. We never really counted anyways. We have always been the 0%. Ever since the entire tramping thing took off in the 1930s unemployed youths have been traveling the country trying to find their place in a dog eat dog world.
You mean in the 1930's, when the stock market crashed? I wouldn't say that things have always been this way by a long shot. The oppression of the lowest class in it's current form is largely a construct of the way the current economic system works. As well as politics. You have to try to think a little bit of the bigger picture, and how this can be used as a tool to control the masses. How many people who are homeless because of their ideologies (I guess a lot of us on here), are silenced within the system after felony charges (usually taking away our right to vote)? The same happens with other alternative folks, seeing as many activists can be charged these days under terror laws, a quick and easy way to silence dissenters, while keeping the image of a fair system.
Hell, how many of you vote anyways? I'm not sure, but I guess most people on this site try to exclude themselves entirely from the system (impossible), refuse to take an active role, and complain at the path it takes. A lot of these OWS are not radicals in any sense, you see people with jobs, families, and they probably vote.
You can for sure see lots of homeless people in other countries that are still very much given rights, and treated as people. I noticed how shocking this was in central America, where there were many people living on the streets, unemployed, but still very much an active part of the societies around them. You are typing this on a computer, you are not one of the homeless that is too hopeless to ever make it anywhere. Within this system, a large amount of people are oppressed to the level of the streets (or make themselves victims, and reject themselves). A lot of people don't look at young traveling folk (like most of this website, not to exclude you old timers...), as "the 0%" by any means. Really, I think a lot of us on the streets are doing better than the others our age, who are buried in debt to universities, that will hold them slaves for many years to come.
I guess it's just important for me to remember, you can't try to live apart from the system, then complain about it's internal politics. Take an active role within it, or actually live apart from it, and don't let the current situation get to you, it's not your's.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
OK not really on the exact focus you guys have been on, but, I just went to my 1st "occupy" took a trip to Missoula and there was one in front of city hall, they had a permit and everything, had kicked the homebums over to one half of the lawn, about tents total.
Well I didnt know about it in advance, but it gave me and my buddy a safe clean place to sleep in the dead center of town. Safety in #s. They said "no alcohol no drugs" which is why the homebums were forced to camp on the other side of the lawn (only a few feet away)
Does anyone remember how San Francisco city hall used to have hundreds of homebums camped on their lawn for years? I believe it started as a protest then turned into just a safe place to camp.
++++++ My hope and dream is that there will be a thousand of these occupy things, homebums get involved, and BAM! Safe places to camp everywhere plus raise the issue of homelessness to the public eye.++++++

My main complaint w/ missoula occupy is that the organizers are a bunch of yuppie motherfuckers who i think were like embarrassed to have homebums camped with them. My buddy and I butchered a deer and brought the meat by "Lets grill this up bitches", well we got shut down, they had an official kitchen but they wouldn't let us use it "We don't have a banquet permit, we can reheat soup but that's it".
Like what the fuck? isn't feeding the homeless what you should be down with. But I digress.
Also Miles, there is huge traveller, face tat, and felon involvement at occupy wall st and philly since my friends are there!

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
TO further the proof that America is very much so a republic, it really depends where you are at as to what is going on. I personally live in Europe, and have not directly been involved with any of the OWS movement, except for discussions and research online.
However, in Portland (my hometown), I feel there is a whole new turn to the movement that is a bit more advanced than a lot of places these occupations are happening. Oregon is one of the super progressive places (along with most of the Pacific Northwest), where there is this sort of "Utopian revolution", meaning, things are already really good, and the people revolting are having a hard time saying what should change. From what I have heard the mayor (Sam Adams) has been out there almost everyday, is defending the camps from the parks dept, marching in demonstrations, and doing a hell of a lot to let the occupation continue. Thanks to things like this, OP (as well as other places I'm sure), can start to take action, rather than just sit around and bullshit.
Occupy camps provide food, shelter for Portland's homeless

Nelco

Reaction score
like the 0% thing
We are the 0%. We never wanted anymore in to this broke down society. We just want a simple life where we can live how we want to live. There is no political party that represents us. We have been occupying the streets for a long time and all these yippies are new comers. What do you think?

yesh
in agreeance
with your point of view

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Who do y'all think it is that is coming out and giving you freshies, making feedings, food boxes, social health programs, missions, drop-in shelters, creating alternative social projects like bike libraries, making all the music that you worship, and all in all making it so that oppression is not the only thing the homeless have to face everyday? You think thats you doing that? If it weren't for all these "yippies", so many of us who are young and homeless based on ideals would probably not choose this life. You really have it good in the sates. Very few of the people on here probably have any idea of the oppression the really homeless face (those who have no other choice because of mental/physical problems). I hate to sound like the assholes that used to give me shit, but you chose this life. You probably will not keep it up too long, enjoy your freedom to choose to be this way while you can. I'm not one of these old homebums, and I hope I can pull my shit together enough to get back on my feet before I hit my 40's, lest I become one. You don't like being oppressed and living on the streets? Get a fucking job and snap out of it then. You're here by choice, and you're not fooling anyone acting like some victim of oppression. The "yippies" even offers plenty of assistance in getting you cleaned up/off drugs/off the streets. Please don't pretend to be representing the few old Vietnam vets/mental hospital rejects/physically disabled homeless that are truly oppressed, and not having many options to get out of it.

Nelco

Reaction score
i wasn't really focusing on the yippie comment
trying to type with one hand...baby is master of the other
i was looking at as the 0% more being the nuetral population avoiding either side of whats going on with everyone and everything
not so much the luke warms but the uinvolved's intentionally

Reactions: Sjaan

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, sorry, I guess I got you wrong. I dont really think that is quite the OP'S point though (correct me if I'm wrong here Miles).
I totally agree with you on that point then, and its funny to look at how few people are actually taking part in this movement, considering the fact that they call themselves the 99% (as acrata4ever pointed out before...)
I'm not sure if you went out and counted all the people involved in OWS or solidarity movement in all of the cities combined, that you would even reach 1% of the population.
This is what I would love to see:
Some real fucking democracy. These people claim to be 99%, they should try to get organized a bit, and try to get even 50% of the population to make a general strike, for even just one day, once they finish developing their list of demands.
150 million on the streets, would change some shit, fast. All the police force, millitary, politicians, and bankers in the US wouldn't stand a chance trying to argue with that.
Doesn't even need to be a whole day, get everyone outside, no need to protest, just a show of force, under one demand.

i wasn't really focusing on the yippie comment
trying to type with one hand...baby is master of the other
i was looking at as the 0% more being the nuetral population avoiding either side of whats going on with everyone and everything
not so much the luke warms but the uinvolved's intentionally

Nelco

Reaction score
i here what your sayin to though
i'm bad about not being clear, since my time is limited and i'm always in a rush

Nelco

Reaction score
wrong thread
delete

Sen

Reaction score
When "the people" want to legalize weed, but nothing gets done because some congressmen got kickbacks from some lobbyist group, "the people" were ignored.

When "the people" wanted their rightfully earned retirement/SSI or disability, and funding was cut to shift funds to bail out another mismanaged bank, "the people" were ignored.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. Anytime "the people" vote for X and get Y...that's what this is all about, in my mind anyway.

The rich 1% will always exist in some shape or form, and some of them won't give two shits about anyone but themselves. Some will donate generously to charity and other causes, and still have a fuckton of money leftover. They'll still blindly get lumped in with the other pricks. Honestly, if a guy walked in with $10 million and gave it to me, you bet your ass I'd have a private island by the end of the week, give the rest away to family, friends, all you fine STP folk, whomever, and keep enough in the bank so I could live off the interest and drink cheap beer all day in my underwear on my private beach. Oh, and a briefcase full of coke and more hookers than Charlie Sheen could shake his dick at.

The problem lies with the politicians accepting bribes... I mean "campaign donations"... from groups or individuals, and catering to them instead of doing their fucking job and listening to the people who elected them. In my opinion, that's what needs un-fucked.

Reactions: wokofshame

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Just to keep things factual:
1) the physically diabled automatically qualify for ssi, a monthly payment which keeps them off the streets if they so desire (and section 8 housing, though that has a super-long waitlist in many places)
2) social security is a COMPLETELY different fund than the general federal gov't budget. the gov't has borrowed money from it, which it has promised to give back to it (many people insist that the gov't will default on this debt, which is where the "we'll never get our social security" rhetoric comes from)

Other random:
-There has been huge job walkoffs by latinos as part of the protest against draconian immigration laws, alabama being the latest one i can think of
-Sen, ditto on the weed issue. The last time i went to jail 50% of the people in my cell were there for some pot-related offense or failure to appear for such. Just so fucking stupid when i just read in the paper that a majority of Americans would like to see pot legalized.
-The bureaucracy has way too much power. Fuck elected officials, these people are appointed and they don't even answer to us.

Redd Capp

Banned
Reaction score
Who has time to protest? I am too busy working 2 jobs -writing and contract labor. I also put money away in a mutual fund and own a couple shares of stock. If I have time I go golfing at the public golf course or on a invite at one of the country clubs that we do work on. I have been known to hop trains in what little spare time I have with my golf clubs... Does that make me the 1%? I also know these some of these rich MFs that they are protesting. What I know is that the CEOs are clueless about everyday operations at there company's. There job is too think more macro. Its middle management thats pulling the wool over the bosses eyes. Theres a certian engine manfacturing company up here that its been told that enough parts went out the door to rebuild a new truck. Middle management gets enough office supplies out the door to fill up several Staples Stores a month and needless to say the strippers are not starving. Who pays for this? You and in higher prices.
Any CEO who tries to reform a company is accused of micromanaging....well who gets the blame when the shit hits the fan? Like did the CEO of BP know or was it even his job to know about a cement job on a oil well when there are thousands of wells that BP has in operation? Can you or should we expect Wick Moorman CEO of Norfolk Southern to know about all the defective cars on his railroad at any given time?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads