Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, it's been a while since I've posted an update of where StP is headed over the next year, so here's the latest news.

New Website Design

As you probably noticed, I've updated the website design to be more user friendly, both for desktop computers and mobile devices. I made some changes so that mobile devices won't load or display some of the heavier sidebar blocks and the chat bar. This should make navigating and loading the website faster for those of you on cell phones / tablets.

I've also changed the format of the navigation menu so you can see all the relevant links for the area you're currently in (e.g. 'watched forums', 'new posts', etc). Hopefully this will make it easier for folks to use some of the lesser known functions of the forums.

Closed the Wiki

I decided to close the wiki since no one was using it for the most part, and trying to make it work and make sense from a user interface perspective was not only sucking up all my time (and getting in the way of other projects) but also totally driving me insane, so I decided it wasn't worth it.

It's possible we might bring it back in some other form, most likely as a 'resource' section. I imagine it as a static thread for each forum section (stickied to the top of the list) that has websites and other useful information centered around that forum's subject (i.e. a page of useful info for train hopping in the train hopping section).

I have no ETA on that though, as I am really itching to move onto the next project:

StP Podcast

I know I've been talking about it forever, but I'm working hard on trying to bring back the podcast. I've been drawing out an outline for it and a new show format that will be centered mostly on the StP community. Travel news of the week, interviews with travelers, discussions of hot topics on the forums for that week, and a phone hotline where folks can call in and leave stories of the road that will be played on the show or give regular updates from their travels. These are just a few of the ideas i'm tossing around. If you have any ideas of your own for the show, I'm definitely open to suggestions.

StP Book

It's still in the works, although I haven't touched it in about a month an a half, due to moving to Austin and being busy getting settled in here. It's approximately 40% done, and I'm going to work on bringing rough drafts of various chapters to the articles area. I've pushed back my completion date to sometime this winter.

StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree

I'm working on making the Jamboree for 2016 bigger and better than before, and we'll be returning to Slab City once again in the 3rd week of October. You can check out details and help us organize here:

https://squattheplanet.com/fest

Main Goals

My main goal right now is to get most of the technical portions of StP (website code, server shit, etc) to a point where I'm happy with it and feel like I don't need to tweak it anymore. I've been getting quite bored of having to handle that stuff, so I'm trying to get this off my plate as quickly as possible so that I can move on to more 'creative' things like the podcast, which I think will be a lot more fun, and add more to the community around StP than adding various website features.

Getting Back on the Road (Eventually)

For those that don't know, I've returned to Austin, Texas to save up money to get a vehicle to live in and travel. I've had a really bad habit for most of my life; basically I keep trading long term goals for short term happiness. I finally figured it out this year that what I really want is both a home and the ability to travel, so I've decided to make myself sit here in Austin until I get enough money to make a bus or van happen. After that, I have a ton of places I want to go see, but until then I'm spending my days looking longingly at epic van dwelling pictures on tumblr...

In the meantime though, if you're passing through Austin and need a shower or just someone to show you around, hit me up. I love meeting everyone from this website.

Reactions: 5 people

Haystack

Wanderer
Current Location
yard1
Thank you Matt for all of your hard work. I think I speak for everyone when I say we all appreciate it.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Similar threads

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Guy I met in jail offered a trailer to rent in the nation's #1 city for violent crime per capita.
Nothing sketchy about this.
I'm so excited!!! My first ever down sleeping bag is in the mail, it will be here Friday night!!! Getting rid of this huge bulky 0° synthetic crap will reduce the size f my pack 50%!!! Not to mention pounds... Now if I could only gtfo!!!
Looking to travel soon in about a month any suggestions??
Texas is full of things that can kill me and I don't think that's great.
NOT SO FAST on heading to Chicago. I can tell it's a rough place to start over. I applied for another job in Mpls, and see how that goes in 2 weeks. If they take their time, like I don't have my own, bye. But, I'm going to give them a chance.
cammyrose wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
You're hella cute 😍🖤
Does anyone els ever go threw life trials that cant be naglected and keep you from traveling? I keep getting so close to go then, BAM! another obligatory anchor...
IDoRails69 wrote on Travelerkid93's profile.
You ever find your road dawg? I just had mine bail on me before we even left and I'm still going, but I'm not really looking forward to being solo again. Did it before and it just kinda sucked. I can try to meet you wherever you'd want. I'm in the middle of illinois right now. Hmu if you're interested and we can chat and get to know each other before we decide if we should meet up.✌

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
esgar