Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, it's been a while since I've posted an update of where StP is headed over the next year, so here's the latest news.

New Website Design

As you probably noticed, I've updated the website design to be more user friendly, both for desktop computers and mobile devices. I made some changes so that mobile devices won't load or display some of the heavier sidebar blocks and the chat bar. This should make navigating and loading the website faster for those of you on cell phones / tablets.

I've also changed the format of the navigation menu so you can see all the relevant links for the area you're currently in (e.g. 'watched forums', 'new posts', etc). Hopefully this will make it easier for folks to use some of the lesser known functions of the forums.

Closed the Wiki

I decided to close the wiki since no one was using it for the most part, and trying to make it work and make sense from a user interface perspective was not only sucking up all my time (and getting in the way of other projects) but also totally driving me insane, so I decided it wasn't worth it.

It's possible we might bring it back in some other form, most likely as a 'resource' section. I imagine it as a static thread for each forum section (stickied to the top of the list) that has websites and other useful information centered around that forum's subject (i.e. a page of useful info for train hopping in the train hopping section).

I have no ETA on that though, as I am really itching to move onto the next project:

StP Podcast

I know I've been talking about it forever, but I'm working hard on trying to bring back the podcast. I've been drawing out an outline for it and a new show format that will be centered mostly on the StP community. Travel news of the week, interviews with travelers, discussions of hot topics on the forums for that week, and a phone hotline where folks can call in and leave stories of the road that will be played on the show or give regular updates from their travels. These are just a few of the ideas i'm tossing around. If you have any ideas of your own for the show, I'm definitely open to suggestions.

StP Book

It's still in the works, although I haven't touched it in about a month an a half, due to moving to Austin and being busy getting settled in here. It's approximately 40% done, and I'm going to work on bringing rough drafts of various chapters to the articles area. I've pushed back my completion date to sometime this winter.

StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree

I'm working on making the Jamboree for 2016 bigger and better than before, and we'll be returning to Slab City once again in the 3rd week of October. You can check out details and help us organize here:

https://squattheplanet.com/fest

Main Goals

My main goal right now is to get most of the technical portions of StP (website code, server shit, etc) to a point where I'm happy with it and feel like I don't need to tweak it anymore. I've been getting quite bored of having to handle that stuff, so I'm trying to get this off my plate as quickly as possible so that I can move on to more 'creative' things like the podcast, which I think will be a lot more fun, and add more to the community around StP than adding various website features.

Getting Back on the Road (Eventually)

For those that don't know, I've returned to Austin, Texas to save up money to get a vehicle to live in and travel. I've had a really bad habit for most of my life; basically I keep trading long term goals for short term happiness. I finally figured it out this year that what I really want is both a home and the ability to travel, so I've decided to make myself sit here in Austin until I get enough money to make a bus or van happen. After that, I have a ton of places I want to go see, but until then I'm spending my days looking longingly at epic van dwelling pictures on tumblr...

In the meantime though, if you're passing through Austin and need a shower or just someone to show you around, hit me up. I love meeting everyone from this website.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Haystack

Pilgrim
Current Location
yard1
Thank you Matt for all of your hard work. I think I speak for everyone when I say we all appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally out n about, heading to London, OH
Thanks to otch0z and Sam for kicking back and keeping is sane in the homestead, hope you had a wicked time!
If for some dumb reason you're in bemidji Minnesota, come see me perform at the hard times! Playing folky stuff with an old road dog
nastynaty wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
Please finish your hitch hiking story... Or just tell us youre alive!!
i've been a waterworld nomad so i don't have to walk.
Jax Katz wrote on Cornelius Vango's profile.
Greetings from a Florida forest dweller !
youtube channel

There's a Cadillac parked outside of my squat.... I should've changed the locks earlier..
Little Rock.....again.....

Staff online