Texas Trainhopping in Waco, I’m 15 and need tips. (2 Viewers)

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Hello my name is Tadeo and I’m 15, so I started train hopping very recently on my 15th birthday. I had been wanting to for the past few months and I wanted to take this adventure. To follow this dream I snuck out at 10:30 every few days a week for a month to see the exact time the train stops at the yard. After a while I was happy to see it stopped at 11 on Thursday which was perfect. I thought I was prepared so one night (February 27th my birthday) I hopped one. I had checked google earth seeing where the train would lead hoping it would not branch off it’s main course. So anyway I snuck out at 10:30 that night as usual and hopped it. I live in Waco TX and I was hoping the train would stay on the main tracks to Fort Worth TX. Which it did after a few stops it made it to this rail yard which I’m not sure if it was just one massive factory unloading area or what. I made it through eventually after riding suicide for an hour or so I was stuck sitting on a few small metal bars which sucked and was pretty scary not just the wheel right next to me but occasionally the wheel flicked something off the tracks up and I could hear whatever it was hitting right next to me. I did bring earplugs which helped a bit. Eventually the train stopped on the way to Fort Worth and I was able to make it to a box car. Which was scarier than riding suicide because one of the doors slammed shut and wouldn’t open and the other was barely open and would not budge and was very difficult to squeeze out of. So anyway I end up getting to fort worth in 2 or 3 hours not for sure I passed out in the car somehow a train is soothing I guess it’s like the vibrations. So where this train yard was located was near to the center of downtown Fort Worth I had to watch our for people I wasn’t sure if this was a factory with many rails or an actual yard, but it had razor wire on fences that I had to jump and my sides were and still are cut badly with scars two months later. The only good thing was I was close to downtown fort worth. Which was very lucky for me because well that where I wanted to go, but once I made it I end up saying wtf am I doing here theres literally no purpose in coming here but for the thrill and adventure. So I bought a snickers, some water went to the nearest Whataburger to get a descent meal and steal the number for a souvenir. I got done eating realized I had no plan on getting back. Which is pretty dumb on my part because I assumed the train would just wait for me or I’d find another, which didn’t happen I waited an hour, no train I end up having to hitchhike 90 miles home which ended up in the cops being called on me “they said there was a teenager hitchhiking at 5AM”. Very hard to come up with a good excuse so I ran. Because if I told them what I was doing they’d probably take me to a station and call my parents. I was out of downtown Fort-worth at that time in the suburbs area so there was easy places to hide. Waited under someone’s porch for a half hour until the police moved onto looking somewhere else. I got back on the highway luckily I’m young and I’ve got that the looks like I need help. So multiple people pulled over to help but the most helpful we’re the truckers. They were cool and understanding and like gave me life lessons on random stuff. The first trucker had to let me off because he couldn’t go to Waco cause it was off his route. The second trucker drove me all the way home even though it was off his route, because he had train hopped as a kid and he understood the thrill and the adventure, so Thankyou so much Jose if you ever see this. I made 90 miles in two hours with Jose driving me 70 and James (the first trucker) driving me 20 or so. By the time I get home it’s 8AM and I have another and definitely one of most favorite adventures so far. Hopefully people see this because I wrote this because I see a lot of doubtful people asking if they should do this or not and the answer is definitely a yes if a 15 year old can do it so can you. I also wrote this to ask for tips, guidance, or a mentor because I know I need to learn how to better do this. I’m from Waco if any of you train hoppers are too. I posted this on reddit first and a very experience rider told me to come on here and tell my story and ask for help or guidance and to reach out to someone on here. He also told me to admit I’m a greenhorn which I am sadly haha. Anyway if you have any tips they’d be very helpful I have access to Barts Rail map but that’s it. Hope you enjoy my story! -Tadeo

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Dude please be safe if you're going to ride! I am scared for you and stressed reading this, you could have died riding suicide or starved to death in a boxcar, and getting super cut up on a fence - damn, dude, please be careful, all of those things could have been avoided with a little more patience.

Read all the safety and tips in the train hopping forum on here before you ever touch a train again.

But yeah, unfortunately traveling as someone under 18 is going to get the cops called on you a lot and eventually you're going to get caught and sent home.

OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
Dude please be safe if you're going to ride! I am scared for you and stressed reading this, you could have died riding suicide or starved to death in a boxcar, and getting super cut up on a fence - damn, dude, please be careful, all of those things could have been avoided with a little more patience.

Read all the safety and tips in the train hopping forum on here before you ever touch a train again.

But yeah, unfortunately traveling as someone under 18 is going to get the cops called on you a lot and eventually you're going to get caught and sent home.
Come on man it was my first time hopping I know it was bad I’ve learned from it though to spike the doors in a boxcar bring a mat or cutters for wire and riding suicide I had no choice in that one or I would’ve missed the train because the back two cars both would’ve made me ride suicide and I didn’t want to go to the very from to ride in boxcar just yet.

OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
nah dude, another train will always come, no train is ever, ever worth risking your life for.
Sorry gonna have to disagree it was my birthday that’s the only train that comes that night at that yard. I was fairly safe I sat on the edge of the train while holding the ladder and having my feet on a metal bar above the wheels.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Sorry gonna have to disagree it was my birthday that’s the only train that comes that night at that yard. I was fairly safe I sat on the edge of the train while holding the ladder and having my feet on a metal bar above the wheels.
if you're not willing to accept the advice of folks here that are without a doubt more experienced than you, you're not gonna last long in this community or on the rails. Please check your ego for a minute and listen to what people are saying.

Last edited:
OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
if you're not willing to accept the advice of folks here that are without a doubt more experienced than you, you're not gonna last long in this community or on the rails. Check your ego for a minute and listen to what people are saying.
I have no ego whatsoever I knew I had to take that train I had came out their weeks before seeing when exactly the train comes and leaves every week I knew that was my last opportunity. I am fine with riding suicide I don’t like it but I’ll do it. I have respect for the other guy but he has not scouted the place out a month ahead like me. It was my birthday man I wasn’t going to miss a train I’d waited a month for because of riding suicide. What he’s giving me is not advice he’s give me no advice all he’s said is don’t ride suicide. Which I am fine riding suicide it was my first time. If he wants to give me advice other than telling me not to ride suicide then I’ll gladly listen. I will last on the rails before I did this I was climbing cell towers hundreds of feet in the air for fun with friends and guess what I’m alive now I’ve got ego cause I know my limits and riding suicide is definitely not one of them.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
If he wants to give me advice other than telling me not to ride suicide then I’ll gladly listen.
you don't get to pick and choose the advice you're given, especially when you're asking for general advice.

I have no ego whatsoever
your posts reek of 'i don't need to listen to what you say' so far. the fact that you think you know better than folks that have been doing this for longer than you've been alive REEKS of egotism.

im not trying to get on your case here, just trying to give you some advice that will definitely help you out in life. just take a step back and listen to what folks are telling you.

OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
you don't get to pick and choose the advice you're given, especially when you're asking for general advice.

your posts reek of 'i don't need to listen to what you say' so far. the fact that you think you know better than folks that have been doing this for longer than you've been alive REEKS of egotism.

im not trying to get on your case here, just trying to give you some advice that will definitely help you out in life. just take a step back and listen to what folks are telling you.
Matt this is my first time hopping I obviously don’t know what I’m doing but all that guy did was come after me for riding suicide. I literally had no choice and the moment I could I switched to a boxcar. He obviously knows more than me but like I said I literally had no choice or I would miss the train.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Matt this is my first time hopping I obviously don’t know what I’m doing but all that guy did was come after me for riding suicide. I literally had no choice and the moment I could I switched to a boxcar. He obviously knows more than me but like I said I literally had no choice or I would miss the train.
i think you're mis-interpreting their advice as criticism. I know them personally and she's not criticizing you, just telling you to not make a habit of riding suicide. honestly most of us are just looking out for your well being here. A lot of us know people that have died riding suicide (it's called that for a reason) so we're just asking you to be careful.

in the future, consider waiting for another train before riding suicide. 95% of train hoppers that do this all the time would make the same decision; it's always better to wait than to die. saying 'i didn't have a choice' is absolutely false. you just didn't want to wait.

OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
i think you're mis-interpreting their advice as criticism. I know them personally and she's not criticizing you, just telling you to not make a habit of riding suicide. honestly most of us are just looking out for your well being here. A lot of us know people that have died riding suicide (it's called that for a reason) so we're just asking you to be careful.

in the future, consider waiting for another train before riding suicide. 95% of train hoppers that do this all the time would make the same decision; it's always better to wait than to die. saying 'i didn't have a choice' is absolutely false. you just didn't want to wait.
Well thanks a lot honestly for looking out for me but I mean it man if I waited I would’ve been stuck till the 8 AM train comes and would’ve missed school. I don’t have endless amounts of time to wait I’m 15 and have school in the morning and it’s not like my parents know about this. I would not have rode suicide if not for this being my only chance.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
Come on man it was my first time hopping I know it was bad I’ve learned from it though to spike the doors in a boxcar bring a mat or cutters for wire and riding suicide I had no choice in that one or I would’ve missed the train because the back two cars both would’ve made me ride suicide and I didn’t want to go to the very from to ride in boxcar just yet.
You did everything right, your story is fuckin' great man.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Well thanks a lot honestly for looking out for me but I mean it man if I waited I would’ve been stuck till the 8 AM train comes and would’ve missed school. I don’t have endless amounts of time to wait I’m 15 and have school in the morning and it’s not like my parents know about this. I would not have rode suicide if not for this being my only chance.
okay, well let's just say you get to slide this time, but in the future don't ever ride suicide. Ever. I train hopped for 8 years and never had to do it. There's literally no excuse. I don't care how much time you have, one of the biggest rules of train hopping is never do it on a schedule.

if you find yourself in a similar situation in the future, do not ride suicide. better to be late to school than to be dead. seriously. there is LITERALLY no valid excuse for riding a suicide car. none. so just get that out of your head. if you do that with people that know what they're doing, you're gonna look like a serious moron at the very least, and it encourages other people to do the same, so please set a good example for others.

OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
okay, well let's just say you get to slide this time, but in the future don't ever ride suicide. Ever. I train hopped for 8 years and never had to do it. There's literally no excuse. I don't care how much time you have, one of the biggest rules of train hopping is never do it on a schedule.

if you find yourself in a similar situation in the future, do not ride suicide. better to be late to school than to be dead. seriously. there is LITERALLY no valid excuse for riding a suicide car. none. so just get that out of your head. if you do that with people that know what they're doing, you're gonna look like a serious moron at the very least, and it encourages other people to do the same, so please set a good example for others.
Fair enough am I not allowed to sprint to catch a running train either or jump off one haha.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Fair enough am I not allowed to sprint to catch a running train either or jump off one haha.
okay so you're obviously not taking this seriously, and you're starting to get on my bad side after we've done nothing but try and help you here. so this is a verbal warning. cool it with the attitude.

OP
Tadeo

Tadeo

Wayfarer
okay so you're obviously not taking this seriously, and you're starting to get on my bad side after we've done nothing but try and help you here. so this is a verbal warning. cool it with the attitude.
No Matt you’re actually not understanding me man. I’m just asking cause I had to do both of those and I was wondering if they’re as big of no’s as riding suicide. I swear man I’m not trying to annoy you just wondering with a bit of humor sorry just me man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.