Radical

Lurker
Reaction score
Homebase
Morecambe
Website
youtu.be
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a tent for some pretty big backpacking adventures and I know exactly what I'm looking for, but can't seem to find a tent I'm 100% happy with, so I was wondering if people here had any recommendations.

It needs to be completely and reliably waterproof and able to deal with lots of rain and snow, including snowstorms. It needs to be resistant to high winds, double skinned, warm, lightweight, tough & durable, 4 seasons, small & stealthy for wild camping, just for 1 person and preferably camouflaged/green for keeping stealthy.

For my first trip I'm heading from Manchester in the UK to Japan and back again, my next trip will be from Manchester again, about a month at sea and then across the entire American continent, and back again, hence the need for such a decent tent.

Probably the coldest places I'll be going to will be Ulan-Ude in Russia, Sukayu in Japan, Ushuaia in Argentina and Yellowknife in Canada.

Any suggestions? What specific tent would you take? Have you used a tent in any of these places? Any advice?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Homebase
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
What's your budget? What you're asking for isn't going to be cheap. Also, I'm not aware of any expensive tents that come in camo; most are designed to be seen in case you get lost (i.e. bright colors) so you might be out of luck on that one part.

TheFreeman

Rambler
Reaction score
Homebase
5 mile Spokane Washington
Don't just look for tents...look for expedition tents, then consider the seasons you will use it. I have a 20 year old 3 man expedition 4 season tent that serves me well. Look for used on fb marketplace/cl. Don't be afraid to post in search of posts online and on real communist boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.