temporarily delurking.

aganthesk

Reaction score
I've been lurking this website and some of its incarnations for at least 2.5+ years now, but I find myself rarely contributing or participating on these forums, and I figure I may as well say a bit myself.

I thoroughly enjoy consuming the contents of this website. There is a glut of useful information here that I have gleaned and incorporated into my lifestyle, even in a non-traveling context. It's almost inspiring. The stories section of this site is something that gets a lot of my regular attention as well.

This site is also very rewarding for me on a philosophical basis of sorts; I'm not a person who holds any kind "mainstream" ethical beliefs; and this is especially prevalent with regards to my attitudes about work, jobs, and social status. Here, I wouldn't have to explain the entire ins-and-outs of my worldview and lifestyle if someone were to ask me "why don't you have a job?". haha.

I'm quite a bit of a loner and a recluse. I enjoy traveling, though I tend to be more of a homeboy. As it pertains to the context of STP some of my more specific interests, include dumpster diving, taking long bike treks and working on my bike(s), and exploring abandoned places. I'm also into wilderness prep and survival skills, though I am an extreme novice with it at the time of this post.

Not sure what else to say, but I felt like putting myself out there. I'm also a Baltimoron, in case anybody is curious.

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Apples

Reaction score
Welcome to StP. I hear there are mad abandoned places in Bmore. You in the city? Or outside the city? Im down south a little, still in MD though.

aganthesk

Reaction score
Technically, I'm a county dweller. I straddle the southwest border of Baltimore city and Catonsville.

on abandoned places:

Most of the places I look for and are familiar with are in the countryside on backroads in central Maryland (Montgomery/Frederick/Carroll/Howard counties). The whole region is littered with an abundance of abandoned farm property and barns. Baltimore itself has no shortage of vacant buildings, but I'm too much of a pansy to explore much of it by myself. There is a ton of abandoned industrial property in the Dundalk area I noticed the last time I was there, and I've been itching to go check it out at some point.

There was a neat abandoned house right up a few blocks from where I live. It burned down suddenly, just a few days ago - a tragic loss.

Apples

Reaction score
Yeah man there are some amazing places. Most of the bigger places have been increasing security over the past year, like the Glendale Hospital (love that place). When it gets warmer we should meet up and go exploring some abandoned places.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Nice ta meet you yo! Glad that the stuff on this site can pertain to more than just dirty kids and nomads!! Hope to see you make it out for a trip sometime..Untill then don't piss into the wind my friend!!

aganthesk

Reaction score
Apples - I just did some reading on the Glen Dale hospital. Funny, there's another abandoned hopsital like that near Ellicott City known as the "Henryton Sanitarium" (served a similar purpose; was closed in the 80s for the same reason - asbestos) that I've been meaning to check out.

Victoria - We definitely don't know each other.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hey aganthesk, thanks for all the positive things you had to say about the site! i too and a former baltimoron! ive been to glenndale twice, it's a great place. it's so crazy to see all these bmore people on the site after i stopped living there... but cool at the same time. can anyone pm me more info about the henryton sanitarium? or maybe just create a thread in the urban exploration section...

also, the old stp site (link) has a bunch of stories about my travels in and out and around baltimore. in case any bmore peeps are curious.

Apples

Reaction score
Yeah Henryton, that was the other one I was gonna say but i forgot the name. Henryton is less chill then glendale. Lots of people go there to drink so cops are there a lot. I've gone 3 times but never made it in for various reasons (none of them cops, although I have seen cops there and my friends have gotten busted).

Glendale is massive. But they recently boarded everything up so last time I went we were only able to get into one of the buildings.

We should check shit out sometime. I'm up in Bmore a lot cause my friends goes to school there and we've been meaning to check out some abandoned places up there. Apparently there is a club of some sort thats abandoned thats pretty cool.

Oreoman2002

Reaction score
It's a shame that Henryton was torn down, but if you're looking for another sanitarium to explore look up Gundry sanitarium. The place has some rich history and at night the vibes can only be described as pant shitting terror.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads